Marathon in Oct2014, when to start training?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I signed up for a marathon thats in October 2014. I plan to follow the Higdon Novice 1 training plan which is a 16 week plan. I have been running for the past 7-8 months, ran my first half last month. I am wondering when should I start training for the full. I don't want to overburn myself starting so early. Should I just continue with some other form of exercise before starting the training plan sometime in June next year?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Keep running and running and running. The better prepared you are for it the more fun you're going to have and preparing for running 26.2 miles isn't something you can do in 16 weeks.

You'll find that most runners tacking marathons, even if the goal is to finish, will run all year 'round not just when training for a specific race. Your mileage may drop but you need to keep at it. Staring early only gives you a chance to build more gradually and significantly reduce the likelihood of an injury (unless you're doing extremely high mileage I wouldn't worry about burning yourself out - but do cross train too)
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    Absolutely keep running. Find some kind of "maintenance mileage" to keep until you start to ramp up to the actual event, but it'll be way easier on your body if you maintain a good base before going "all in" in June!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    OP that training for the marathon Plan you mentioned is for a novice, you are not actually a novice, you have already ran a half marathon and have been training for seven to eight months. Granted, you are not an advanced runner, but you are definitely not a beginner.

Keep training, there is no point whatsoever in just stopping everything and resuming June next year, what a waste all your previous training will have been if you do that.

I agree with the others who say keep running, just take it steady and get your rest days in, by the time next October arrives, you will be (God willing) more than ready.