Newbie to MFP: 58 lbs down, 80 more to go

Hi all,

Just joined today and want to introduce myself to the community.

I'm 27 yr old male from Southern California and part of my journey I feel should include a more social component. So I'm going to introduce myself and my story in the hopes of making some new friends.

May 2013:
In May, I weighted my heaviest at 303 lbs. My friend (who also was 300 lbs) convinced me to try out for the Biggest Loser Season 15. Together we went to the casting call in Los Angeles. It was an eye opener. I met so many wonderful beautiful people that day, people like me struggling to lose weight. My friend and I were disappointed that we didn't get a call back for a second interview. When we didn't get the call back I told myself I could do this without the show.

June 2013:
I started making small changes. Another friend encouraged me to buy a Nutribullet and to incorporate leafy green kale and spinach smoothies into my diet as replacements from unhealthy foods. I started eating less takeout, cut out caffeine and soda. I got back down to 290 lbs. The first baby steps were taken.

July 2013:
I wanted to incorporate lean protein into my diet and went to the GNC in July 2013 for the first time to buy whey protein isolate powder. Already feeling out of place in there, the musclehead behind the register made it worse, he made some snide comment, "uhhh have you used this before? you know how to use it?" Whatever to him. I started mixing the powder with unsweetened almond milk and having that for breakfast. This got me in the habit of having breakfast regularly. I also began taking a multivitamin (Centrum for Men) and other supplements (Fish Oil, Krill Oil, B-100, Vitamin D 2000 IU, Cinnamon, Tumeric, Cranberry Extract, Cayenne). Ended the month at 280 lbs, about 20 pounds lost.

August 2013:
The weight was coming off slowly. I had a friend visiting from Texas in August 2013 who wanted to go to Six Flags Magic Mountain. So a group of us went. That day was my wakeup call. All the harnesses and restraints were difficult to put on. There was one ride I was too fat to get on: the Lex Luther Drop of Doom. I felt so embarrassed. All my other friends got on it with no problem. Not me though. I told myself I would lose weight and one day go back and ride that stupid ride. I was determined more than ever to make changes. Ended the month more determined than ever at 270 lbs.

September 2013:
My fit friends decided to take up hiking and invited me on a 2.5 mile hike in the canyons. They told me it ended in a beautiful waterfall. Being as crazy as I am I said yes I'd go with them. That was so difficult! I realized just how out of shape I was that day. I was straggling behind of course, but I made it. I remember feeling like I was about to pass out once we got to the waterfall. I was super out of breathe and the inclines along the way felt horrible. It was worth it though. It was beautiful and the whole experience despite being difficult was fun. Continuing my diet changes, I ended the month at 260 lbs. Not too shabby. I was starting to feel good about myself at this point.

October 2013:
My fit friends organized another hike, also about 2.5 miles. This one was easier that first one and I still struggled behind, but I still finished the round trip trail again. Halloween came and went and I only had one Reese's peanut butter cup. No candy binging. Small victories on all fronts. My friends and I went to Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights in the middle of the month. Universal Studios is notorious for its series of long escalators. I didn't use them though. I took the steps all the way up and all the way down as my friends took the escalator. Not sure how many flights or steps it was, but it was a lot. I continued to be vigilant with my calorie intake and eating nutritiously. I ended the month at 250 pounds. 50 pounds lost since May. No way. I honestly never thought I'd lose 50 pounds.

November 2013:
To celebrate my 50 pound loss, I decided to do a 5K walk/run with my friends. We did the Electric Run in San Diego. I never EVER thought I could do a 5K. However it was easy! It ended so quickly! My friends and I finished it in about 50 minutes. At the end I was sore (mostly my quadriceps) but not exhausted or out of breathe. I felt like I could do another 5K in the future easily with no problem. We are approaching mid-November and I'm at 245 lbs. I plan to end the month at 240 lbs and continue to aim for a steady weight loss of 10 lbs a month and incorporating more physical activities on a regular basis.

According to the BMI my ideal weight for my height (5'8'') is 165 lbs. At 245 lbs that's still a while away. I joined MFP to keep me vigilant and to make friends on this journey and to tell my story.

Say hi and feel free to friend me and message me!

Best,
Sam

Replies

• Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,611 Member
    Wow awesome loss already. Good luck with the rest of it. You seem pretty determined so you will get there!
  • ElectricDragon
    ElectricDragon Posts: 60 Member
    I added some photos to my profile, since people like to see a face to go with the story and updated the text to include what I wrote here.

Wow awesome loss already. Good luck with the rest of it. You seem pretty determined so you will get there!

Thank you! :D