Anyone successfully using MFP to maintain weight?

Options
Hey all,

I am investigating ways to keep weight off for the long term.

My challenge is not only the losing weight but maintaining the correct weight after dieting.

After my last diet I dipped my foot inside my recommended weight range at around 160lbs. Since then I have put 20lbs back on, putting myself in the middle of the over weight section again. This is the 3rd time I've lost and gained.

When I hit normal weight range last, I told myself that if put 2-3lbs back on I would lose the additional weight straight away. This is easily forgotten. Blink and I'm getting fat again.

I feel like I'm going to spend my whole life worrying about weight, food, diet and exercise. I need a long term solution which doesn't restrict lifestyle.

My question, is there anyone maintaining their weight over long periods of time using myfitnesspal or is there any another method, coupled with enjoying going out eating/drinking and the naughty stuff which can make us fat?

Any support/ideas are appreciated.:smile:

Replies

• MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    *bump* I found this by doing a search...I am already thinking ahead to when I reach goal and have to maintain...I always slowly gain it all back too :angry: So I would like to hear from others that have been successful at maintaining and how they are doing it?
  • suckitup
    suckitup Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Funny, I am less than 2lbs away from my final goal and all I think about is the work that I'll have to do to keep it off. I am a teacher and have just started back to work. Working in some working out is getting challenging. I have a huge fear of slipping back up again if I cannot work out enough.

Looking forward to hearing some helpful tips!
  • chris493
    chris493 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I posted this 14 months ago and thought I would update how my weight maintaince has gone.

When hitting my goal weight 152lbs down from 203 lbs, the motivation to continually update my diary to maintain my weight worked for a couple of months, but dwindled over time.

After a summer of eating out and drinking, getting married and 2 holidays later, I have put 20 lbs back on.

I guess I'm not very good at long term life style changes, I find it easier to diet than to maintain weight.

I also feel that once I'm lean and feeling good, I mentally worry less about my weight.

Has anyone else had this experience?
  • naku
    naku Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am not at my ultimate goal weight yet (about 3-4lb from it) but I'm at a place where I'm happy with my weight and very happy with my body.
    Since early summer I have been maintaining since to be honest I got a bit bored of restricting my calories and wanted to enjoy the summer. I haven't been tracking anything except random days here and there, but to my own surprise have been able to keep my weight pretty much the same all through these months.

What has really helped me is just being aware and what I learned in the 6 months I did track every single bit I put into my mouth. I do try to weight myself frequently so I will know when my weight is up and can fix it easily before it goes up more than 2lb. A few times during the summer (friends visiting, 2 week holiday, just general summer shenanigans) I have known that I have massively overindulged for a period of time. After those times what I have done is had a very light eating week and stepped on the scale after that. In most cases I am within 1-2lb from my base-weight. From there it's easy to fix back.
  • percussionbeat
    percussionbeat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I started MFP to lose about 2 pounds and maintain my new weight, and I've found that MFP has really helped.

I find that my lifestyle hasn't changed much, but there're definitely compromises to be made along the way. E.g. I'm walking right by fried food stands and keeping away from chips and sweet drinks, because I know very well I'm going to regret it later. I haven't really changed much else; I have a really busy job as a primary school teacher that leaves me very little time to exercise. I haven't cut down my meals or anything. I've just switched to healthier options like rice and dishes instead of lasagna and pizza all the time. Still, those are the sacrifices to be made, and I'm maintaining my weight pretty well, so I'm happy with it.

I completely agree with your take that once you're leaner, you worry less. I'm definitely worrying less, but more aware of what I eat and what I do. I suppose in the long run that's a good place to be in :)
  • Trugrit12
    Trugrit12 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am 10 lb's away from my goal weight!
    I am so nervous though about maintaining my goal weight!
    I feel like I will surely over do ti if I don't continue to log. So i intend to, I've always had trouble with my weight.
    Moreover I am curios about enjoying when I get to my goal weight, like if I indulge in something it will be metabolized more quickly right? it won't just go straight to my butt and reflect on the scale will it?
    or will it be pretty much be the way it is now, the scale may fluctuate but a good workout and water and in a day it'll be back to normal?
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I weigh the same as I did in high school 14 years ago. I got on MFP about two years after having my son because I wasn't happy with my body. I lost my pregnant weight and was back to my "normal" weight, but I felt flabby. So while I am here because I want to improve my body, I maintained my weight for years without MFP. For me, the main thing was portion control. By that, I just meant that I ate when I am hungry and stopped when I wasn't. I don't eat foods because it's laying around or it's free. I had never have to restrict my diet; there were no off-limit foods. I get my share of processed junks, but my main meals are fairly balanced with veggies, meats and grains. I LOVE to eat, but it's the way you eat that matters when it comes to maintaining.
  • Trugrit12
    Trugrit12 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    qtiekiki woah! you so lean! and toned! looking like you is my goal! way togo keep it up, I'm sure your kids love having a healthy mommy!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Thanks. My kids see me exercising, so sometimes they will try to do push ups and lift my weights. It's so cute.