Mathematics of Weight loss - How to really lose weight.

Options

Replies

• Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    My favorite part was when he was blowing bubbles in the liquid phenolphthalein. And his Aussie accent. :drinker:
  • Cavegirlbelly
    Options
    Great video. I had no idea about this and hadn't even thought about the question. Nothing revolutionary about weight loss methods, but very informative about where the lost weight goes. Does that mean we've found it again? I hope not. ;)
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! :smile:
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, thanks!!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Thinking more about it, I'm a little puzzled why he says part of it is not turned into heat. I understand the units don't match up but the fat contains "calories" as potential energy within the chemical structure, just like dietary fat and carbs which are also made of C, H and O.

When the cell breaks down the fatty acid to produce ATP, heat should be generated.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    This is a cool video!
    Thinking more about it, I'm a little puzzled why he says part of it is not turned into heat. I understand the units don't match up but the fat contains "calories" as potential energy within the chemical structure, just like dietary fat and carbs which are also made of C, H and O.

When the cell breaks down the fatty acid to produce ATP, heat should be generated.

I remember reading about why this is a while ago, but I don't remember offhand. I'll repost if I can find it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    bump to watch later
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bump to watch later
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    This is a cool video!

I remember reading about why this is a while ago, but I don't remember offhand. I'll repost if I can find it.

I think he is oversimplifying it a bit. Heat is a byproduct of every chemical reaction because some energy is always lost. Isn't that why our bodies are hot? (and I mean that in every sense of the word)
  • SapiensPisces
    Options
    This is a cool video!

I think he is oversimplifying it a bit. Heat is a byproduct of every chemical reaction because some energy is always lost. Isn't that why our bodies are hot? (and I mean that in every sense of the word)

I think thermoregulation is an independent process and not necessarily related to fatty acid metabolism, but I could be wrong about that. Biochem isn't my strong suit, but I'm really interested to learn so hopefully someone can chime in with more information.
  • SapiensPisces
    Options
    As an addendum to the original video, this is another one that talks about the psychology of weight loss and what the difference is between a person who successfully loses weight and keeps it off and those who don't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWfqBy4sSD8
  • Yvi79
    Yvi79 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing! !!!
  • wild_wild_life
    Options
    This is a cool video!

I think thermoregulation is an independent process and not necessarily related to fatty acid metabolism, but I could be wrong about that. Biochem isn't my strong suit, but I'm really interested to learn so hopefully someone can chime in with more information.

Thermoregulation in the sense of staying within a narrow temperature range, yes, but what determines our basal temperature? I would think heat generated in cellular metabolism would play a role, but I'm not sure. It's probably easily googlabe but I think I will sleep on that mystery tonight...
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SapiensPisces
    Options
    This is a cool video!

Thermoregulation in the sense of staying within a narrow temperature range, yes, but what determines our basal temperature? I would think heat generated in cellular metabolism would play a role, but I'm not sure. It's probably easily googlabe but I think I will sleep on that mystery tonight...

Basal temperature is strongly negatively correlated with body mass in mammals (e.g. cats have higher basal body temperature than humans). I think it mostly has to do with proper functionality of chemical processes within the body. I'm not certain if the heat generated as a byproduct of cellular reactions whose primary function in the body is to transform one molecule to another is enough to establish basal temperature alone. I suspect that it plays some role, but I'm not sure. It's a good question.
  • goingwithgrace
    goingwithgrace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm glad he mentions ketosis and how it can be unhealthy. Everything in moderation - eat whole not processed - get moving!
    Thanks for the link!
  • tiggerlgh
    tiggerlgh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks that was very informative.
  • Kgholli
    Options
    Bump seriously cool
  • irupar
    irupar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Interesting video, but his chemistry is a little off. To lose 10kg of fat, you have to exhale about 29.2kg of CO2 and about 12kg of H2O (he kinda ignores the whole stoichiomatry bit in his math). To those trying to figure out how calories fit into this business, the short of it is that anytime a chemical bond is formed or broken, energy is absorbed or released. This is usually calculated in joules (which can readily be converted to calories). Depending on how our body metabolises(does a chemical reaction with) a given molecule will control how much useable energy we get out of it. With regards to thermoregulation, our body constantly produces heat as a by product of metabolising molecules. If we get too hot we cool off with perspiration. If we get too cold we start to shiver. This is because as we shiver we move and as we move we burn energy so our body metabolises more in order to produce heat to try and heat us up. Of couse the more in detail you look at this stuff, the more complex it gets.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Bump to check out later :smile: