huge calves

Options
My calves are huge...they always have been ...is there any way to fix this ... i know it sounds funny buf it really affects my self esteem. ..

Replies

• LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I can't give you much advice on reducing the size of your calves, but I empathize. I have comparatively ginormous calves--14" with a thigh that's 15" just above the knee, 22" at the top, 36" hips... and a 24" waist.

I'm not complaining about most of those measurements, but my calves feel mad out of place.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    If you have naturally large calves there's nothing you can do about them other than plastic surgery, assuming there even is surgery for that. I would avoid weight-related exercises that target the calves, such as weighted calf raises.
  • TemeraldMarie
    TemeraldMarie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I guess the grass is always greener. my calves are tiny, bums me out. i would love to have shapely calves. but to each their own. :)
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've dropped about 50 pounds and a half inch off my calves. But I don't think they are going to decrease much more. I don't mind them except when I shopping for boots. Even the "wide calf" ones are too small. They are about 15" right now.
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    mine are 16.5" lol.. huge.. it makes buying tall boots impossible and skinny jeans are hard as well.. BUT... I love my body.. I love how muscular it is. I will never have a super skinny body, but I do have the type of body that builds muscle easily.. So im working with what the good Lord hath given me ;)
  • AnnaZimm70
    AnnaZimm70 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Don't run in Vibrams Five Fingers :smile: I love mine, but my calves will never be small (about 15.5" regardless of my weight). On the other hand, my calves are strong and it's hard to see a big down-side to that.
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    i just bought Vibrams.. they are killer of the calves to start.. but im not worried about getting bigger calves.. ;) as long as i got power... im good. But i will add that I love running in them... so much more comfortable
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you have to lose, you will lose a bit on size but probably in proportion to the rest of your leg.

It really is more genetics when it comes down to it.

As weird as it sounds I get compliments on my 17.5" calves from all the pencil calves dudes and dudettes at the gym.

Understand that everybody has something they wish they could change physically. Almost all the time its hardly noticeable to others,
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    LoLz, I have big calves too ... I'm a runner ... I love them (14 inches, my thighs are 18.5 inches at the thickest point) ... Boots can be a wee bit difficult to zip up at times, but other than that, I LOVE THEM!

ETA: Be careful with Vibrams ... The reason they make your calves sore, is because they don't have the stability of a traditional sneaker, thus you have to use your muscle to do the stabilizing that a traditional sneaker would otherwise be doing ... This can in some cases, lead to injury ... I have a pair, which I wear for weight lifting and general walking around ... I no longer run in them, because of collapsed arches ... I was a runner WAY before I ever started wearing them, as well ... Just sayin'
  • Artaxia
    Artaxia Posts: 185
    Options
    My calves are huge too, even when I was 165 lb. My calves are fully muscle and it's really embarrassing. However, I've been told by many men that it's sexy because they're very shapely legs. So embrace.
  • KBGAgent
    KBGAgent Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Give em to me.