Afraid of Hunger

2»

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    I worked with a lady who was researching motivators for eating. She ran a series of studies looking at the effect of eating "mindfully". We live in a world where abundance of food, advertising, unnatural ingredients and stress contribute to us eating not in response to need, but want. To address the issue she taught people how to assess their actual level of hunger, and eat appropriately in response to it.

I think this could be something that might be helpful for you, whether you choose to get some psychological help or doa bit of research yourself. Google "mindful eating" and have a read.

I have had great luck incorporating intuitive eating strategies. There are some great books on Amazon!
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Hi there,

I also suffer for urges to binge (after a VLCD and LC diet) the cheat meal concept started me off on the binging but anyway I was recommended a booked called Brain Over Binge from another poster here and it kind of links in to what you are trying to do, psychology you know you cannot be hungry and it explains why your brain will keep pushing you to eat more.

It will take a few days to run through, and I would give you mine, but I dip into it every so often to reinforce myself. ;)

Good luck,

Just want to add that the writer of the book was sent to several difference therapists and has tried most avenues of self awareness so she has alot of experience to draw on, why some therapies dont and wont help you 'control' yourself or talk yourself out of the most basic and fundamental requirements to live, ie food.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I worked with a lady who was researching motivators for eating. She ran a series of studies looking at the effect of eating "mindfully". We live in a world where abundance of food, advertising, unnatural ingredients and stress contribute to us eating not in response to need, but want. To address the issue she taught people how to assess their actual level of hunger, and eat appropriately in response to it.

I think this could be something that might be helpful for you, whether you choose to get some psychological help or doa bit of research yourself. Google "mindful eating" and have a read.

I have started doing little things to fight this mindset. The other day I wanted some tortilla chips and onion dip, and I was thinking to my self that what I experiencing was not actual hunger but a craving and a desire to have something crunchy. So instead I dipped raw snow pea pods in plain Greek yogurt mixed with a little powdered onion soup, and bam! Problem solved. This may sound crazy, and It obviously isn't convenient to make these substitutions all of the time. However, I find that little adjustments like this add up. Also, these items were already in my kitchen, and I was just being creative. :smile:
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    I have started doing little things to fight this mindset. The other day I wanted some tortilla chips and onion dip, and I was thinking to my self that what I experiencing was not actual hunger but a craving and a desire to have something crunchy. So instead I dipped raw snow pea pods in plain Greek yogurt mixed with a little powdered onion soup, and bam! Problem solved. This may sound crazy, and It obviously isn't convenient to make these substitutions all of the time. However, I find that little adjustments like this add up. Also, these items were already in my kitchen, and I was just being creative. :smile:

Creative, smart and very sensible. Nice work!
  • kelly_e_montana
    Well, part of intuitive eating is trying to figure out what you actually want to eat and just eating that, no matter whether it's the healthiest thing you could choose or not. It's about learning how to stop and when not to eat out of boredom, anxiety, sadness, anger, or for entertainment. The goal is to be able to go to a restaurant and have a reasonable portion of dinner or a treat, but not EVERYTHING till you are full. Then don't go to another restaurant and another restaurant. If you truly have BED, you have probably done this. I know I've hit the grocery store and two fast food places all in one binge. If you have BED, you must focus on the BED before you focus on weight. You cannot work on weight at the same time. It's counter productive. Build a healthy relationship with food first.

Major point is you need to do your homework, read books, see a counselor, and build a support network of other recovering BED or bulimia folks.
  • kelly_e_montana
    I've read Brain Over Binge and it's interesting but definitely not my fave. Very anecdotal! More of an ethnography of one woman's experience. It's a different viewpoint though, and that's good. I would also recommend Overcoming Binge Eating Dr. Christopher Fairburn and Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole, M.S., R.D. and Elyse, Resch, M.S., R.D.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Anymore advice

Have you sought professional help such as:

http://bedaonline.com/

I think it is absolutely terrific you are taking steps to address the issue by asking for help on here and looking at this from a rational perspective. However, your progress will be greatly assisted by structured help.

ETA: Just read further on and I see you have ;)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    OP, if I'm honest, if you are doing this right you shouldn't really feel hunger, but at the same time, a bit of hunger is not going to kill you. I never feel hungry unless I've been really busy and haven't had time to eat.

I think you need to see someone about your issues as binge eating IS an ED and only a professional can help you with that.

In the meantime, however, you can help yourself. Stick with the high protein and healthy fats, and try and work your calories to suit you. If you are a picker, have small meals/snacks throughout the day. If you like a big dinner, eat a small breakfast and lunch to accommodate. If breakfast makes you hungrier, skip it. You get the picture.
  • Thanks you all for your advice. I have seen a dietitian and a counselor (still seeing her) and they have not helped at all. I guess I'm going to have to get use to the discomfort of hunger pangs. Also, is it true that by avoiding hunger pangs you can shrink your stomach?
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Thanks you all for your advice. I have seen a dietitian and a counselor (still seeing her) and they have not helped at all. I guess I'm going to have to get use to the discomfort of hunger pangs. Also, is it true that by avoiding hunger pangs you can shrink your stomach?

No.. your stomach stays the same size. A lot of people have the misconception that your stomach is like a balloon- the more food you eat the bigger it gets, and when you don't eat it shrivels down like a balloon when you let out the air. The body doesn't really let organs change their size unless it's part of their function such as the womb stretches to hold a growing baby. The same is true the opposite way- the stomach WILL stretch a tiny bit with a big meal, but once the food has left the stomach it shrinks back down to normal size. It can't become permanently stretched or permanently shrunk (without surgical intervention such as a gastric bypass anyway.)

As for your original question- I am in a way afraid of hunger as well, but mine is due to the very sick feeling I get when I get too hungry. I actually faint or throw up due to blood sugar levels. I think perhaps if your counselor is not helping you should seek out another who specializes in BED and work on altering your mindset of hunger and food. I wish you all the luck <3
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Thanks you all for your advice. I have seen a dietitian and a counselor (still seeing her) and they have not helped at all. I guess I'm going to have to get use to the discomfort of hunger pangs.

But if you are eating properly you shouldn't feel 'pangs'. The only time you would feel actually hungry is in the morning, because you've been asleep all night and (presumably) haven't eaten since the night before; 7-12 hours. During the day though you should hardly every feel true hunger because for most people there just isn't that much time between meals. I eat like this:

Breakfast (between 7-9am)
    Morning Snack (between 10-11am)
    Lunch (between 12-2pm)
    Afternoon Snack (between 330-430pm)
    Dinner (between 6-8pm)
    Evening Snack (between 9-11pm)

Times are approximate as my work schedule varies, but I rarely have more than two hours between meals/snacks. And I am not overeating or binging or anything abnormal, just regular portions of food. So maybe try that; don't go without eating something for longer than 2 hours. Then you won't feel hunger pangs.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    I actually enjoy feeling really hungry just before my next meal. As long as it is only just before. :tongue:
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    I have Binge Eating Disorder and I think I've found out what causes it; I'm afraid of hunger. Whenever I get hungry I get afraid that I'm going to get tired, weak, and not be able to focus. I try to portion my food out but it doesn't help I just go back and eat more. I just need some information on hunger. Like when is it okay to be hunger, how to overcome it and deal with it.

I do eat a lot of protein, I have almonds, cottage cheese, etc but I binge on that too

I just need some general information about hunger and dieting

I think you need to talk to your doctor, because it looks like a symptom of anxiety. I understand you when you say afraid of hunger: it's not rational is it. You can see the logic.. but that's not the same as obeying it.

Hunger is fine at any time. all it is saying to your body is that your actual stomach is empty. It sort of shrinks up in there, like a balloon. Have you ever got a balloon that's about 3 days old, touched it and it shrunk? That's what's happening. It's grumbling because it's shrinking and air and whatever is being wiggled around.

Once your stomach grumbles you find you are not hungry any more.

If you start on a maintenance diet you will get to know how much food your body needs to operate, and your tummy will get used to that amount and you won't really experience hunger too much. filling up on veges is a really good idea. So is drinking water with meals. Not drinking before - that does not work. But during it will mix in with the food and leave you feeling full longer.

:)
  • Anymore advice

Nope :D