Running Risks

So I keep seeing all these things about running and I'm intrigued. I was never much of a runner even when I was fit. But runner culture intrigues me. Anyhow, I am basically sedentary and about 130 pounds overweight. I hear a lot about how hard running is on joints. I can't imagine that running with all that extra weight is good for joints. So here's my question...at what point would running be safe for someone who is very overweight?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Start slow. Build slow. Don't start (for example) a C25K program until you can (and do). knock out 5km of walking, regularly.
  • Abowles27
    Abowles27 Posts: 30 Member
    I feel like the topic of joint pain due to running is controversial in that it can't be said that it's good or bad for everyone. I think it really depends on the person and prior pain and mileage and all that because I have heard people say it helps alleviate and lessen joint pain through the whole day and then there are people who get it for various reasons maybe not running per say but I don't know. I'm a cross country runner and I have pain and I can't say because I run to get faster and push myself which normally people aren't looking to really push their running by doing fartleks, hill repeats, mile repeats, long runs, etc since for us it could mean the difference between going to state or not. I mean there is only one cross country person I know who has never had injuries, but that doesn't apply to most people. On to actually running, really just walk maybe three times a week and adjust to what you think until you can walk for thirty minutes I would say. Then, try to run for as long as you can whether that's ten seconds or whatever and walk until you think you can run again and then walk and then so on for about 1/2 mile I would say. Keep doing that until you can run 1/2 mile and when you can run all of it maybe stay at that for a week or two. I don't think this will cause that much joint pain if running does cause it because it's not a lot of mileage running which I think is a big factor. Then go up to 1 mile and if you have to walk, then walk. But when you can run it all, then I would say that you should stay at that for at least a week. And so on until you get to the mileage you want. This is just kind of a vague outline of what I think and you can take none of it or some of it.
  • Never know until ya give it a try.

Buy good quality shoes that fit properly and start out slow, gradually increasing as your body will allow.

Give it a whirl!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Second the C25K suggestion. I did it in the summer & I think the last time I "ran" anywhere was 1997! It's a great app to slowly ease you into it & feel like you are hitting the goals. In fact I did the 3rd week twice so it doesn't have to be a be all or end all deal. Just go at your own pace & it'll come to you :smile:
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    The beginning is the killer or @ least it was for me anyway. My knee joints felt like they were on fire, I felt like I was dying & then I discovered a c25k trainer, learned to slow down & I was able to complete the program in 8 weeks. This was over the summer. I run regularly now. I am not sure if my knee joints felt better because I was losing weight, got used to it or because I slowed down. I just know that after a while I didn't feel the fire anymore.

Prior to the training I barely walked for 20min on the treadmill. So I didn't have any long distance walking stamina & running, yeah that was a joke. I never ran before this, but now I can't picture myself not running. I love it.
  • kczarnec
    kczarnec Posts: 28 Member
    Check out ChiRunning. It's all about running 'properly' to be injury-free. The way you hold your arms, put your foot on the ground, where you point your feet, etc. all impacts your body if it's done correctly (or incorrectly).
  • I've just started and I'm using a C25k program. I've cut my running and walking speed (from 6km/h walking to 5km/h) and I'm focusing on form and finishing the day's training rather than speed and distance. I'm having a little bit of knee pain but I'm learning to stretch my hips/legs and I'm taking a few more rest days than the program says, so that I don't burn out.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    So I keep seeing all these things about running and I'm intrigued. I was never much of a runner even when I was fit. But runner culture intrigues me. Anyhow, I am basically sedentary and about 130 pounds overweight. I hear a lot about how hard running is on joints. I can't imagine that running with all that extra weight is good for joints. So here's my question...at what point would running be safe for someone who is very overweight?

I had the same concerns and because of that I didn't start running until I had lost 16kg and was 2kg away from my goal weight. Because of that I can't comment on the safety aspect, but I would recommend walking as much as you can to start with, to provide lots of time for your body to get used to being active on your feet (e.g. for 30-60 minutes at a time).

Once you are feeling comfortable walking for longer periods of time then give it a go jogging - I would recommend the C25K program, but again, only once you have gotten yourself used to long periods of time on your feet. I think going from being sedentary to running when you are carrying extra weight is a recipe for injuries, which would then be very demotivating.

That said, there are many people on here, particulary in the C25K group, who are overweight and finding the C25K program great for them.
  • amiedwards906
    amiedwards906 Posts: 16 Member
    I just watched this http://www.c25k.com/ben_video.html. I think it will answer your question :-) After watching this, I am actually considering it and I hated running when I was thin..
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    C25K is a great tool to get started.

And the risks of running are far outweighed by the risks of staying on the couch and doing nothing.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    I started running when I weighed just under 400 pounds. Seven years later and I've ran 5 marathons. SO if my fat *kitten* can do it, anyone can.

Here is the best advice I can give:
    1. Go to a running store and have them recommend shoes based on your gait (if they don't watch you walk in your stocking feet their not doing right)
    2. Embrace a slow pace - If you can't carry on a conversation your running too fast. (A month ago a ran my fastest half marathon, I talked to my friend the first 10 miles)
    3. Remember slow is smooth and smooth is fast
    4. Get a gps watch, it helps with pacing
    5. Lift weights to give you better overal strength, you use your whole body to run (it took me two years to figure that out)

Being over weight has more of a negative effect than running ever will. You just feel discomfort now for a month or two while your body gets used to it. Start slow and lift weights to build up your legs and hips to protect your joints.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    It is tough on your joints, tendons, ligaments, etc...running is a high impact aerobic activity. That said, many people do it with no issue..obviously proper foot wear is essential (you should get properly fitted by a professional running store) and you need to progressively train...this means you don't just go from sitting on your *kitten* to running 4 - 5 days per week.

Start off slow...I started off just walking a lot and then slowly increased that to some walking and some running...eventually I was running 3 days per week. I was never a supper distance runner, pretty much knock out my 3-5 miles a few times per week and call it a day. I've ultimately had some issues with my feet however and have determined that I won't be doing much running going forward...just too hard on my posterior tibial tendons in both feet. I'm doing a lot of cycling now and I do a bit of hiking and swimming in the summer.