climbing stairs

Options
ok i have a set of stairs about 20 step in the set I'm trying to figure out about how far that would be considered in distance . i usually on a typical day have to go up and down the flight any where from 3-6 times in one day about 3 times a week some times more. not sure what is the best way to add this up .. any suggestions?!?!?!?!

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    One suggestion: there is nothing substantial to "add up". The typical step height is 9 inches, so you are talking about a total vertical climb of: 15 feet. How long does it take to climb? 20-30 seconds at most? Even if you do that 6 times a day, the total aggregate is not enough to really quantify. Don't get me wrong--there are general health benefits to climbing stairs, even on a casual basis, but it is really more "casual activity", already included in your daily activity allowance.

At night and on weekends, we have to make regular rounds through the building, including the basement. It's 45 steps up and down. I'll do it 4-10 times a shift, but I wouldn't even think of "counting" it, anymore than the walk to my car at the end of the parking lot when my shift is over.
  • shari253
    shari253 Posts: 202
    Options
    Gail, most of us only log our exercise if it is extra and beyond the scope of our normal daily activities. Now, if you decided to go up and down your stairs continuously for 10 minutes, that would be something to log.
  • GLW1969
    GLW1969 Posts: 23
    Options
    thank you for your advice Shari i will definitely keep that in mins as i am having to trudge up and down the stairs for many things especially every few seconds to help my kids get motivated for school which starts here on Thursday
    ( yippee!!!!!) i would like to add everyone as a friend the more moral support the better . have a great day . I'm enjoying the rest of mine. i plan on gardening for a few hours since it wont be in the triple digits for 2-3 days and it is bearable out .