i need help grocery shopping!

Options
2»

Replies

• 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I have always been told and do try to shop primarily from the outer aisles of the store. I also go to some aisles in the frozen section. The outer aisles are where you will find fresh produce, vegetables and fruit, bread, seafood, beef, chicken, turkey, cheese, yogurt, eggs, milk, butter, and a few other things.

After that, only go down the middle aisles if you have specific items you want to get. I know when I start 'shopping' the aisles, I end up with a lot of things I had no intention of buying and are usually not the best choices, so the inner aisles I buy canned tomatoes, pumpkin and other vegies, quinoa, sometimes rice, cereal, hot sauce, etc.

I also check the weekly ad online, to see what protein is on sale and try to stretch my budget that way!!

Good luck as I know how hard it is!!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    i buy the right stuff but i still feel hungry ... why is this?

Do you eat it after you buy it? :wink:
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Try Pinterest for meal ideas, they have a ton for making ahead, as the other person suggested!
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention my favorite healthy recipe idea site!
    http://www.epicureanbb.com/archive

Many of her recipes include protein powder, which may or may not be something you want to get, but they have all been delicious so far!
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me that you need a plan.

Map out what you will eat for the week, make a list and prepare the food.

I make most of my meals for the week on Sunday. It does take sometime, but it is really nice to just be able to grab per prepared food out of the fridge.

I have tons of Tupperware.
    how do you plan your meals/where do you get your inspiration? this is a great idea.

I use the crockpot! I look for meals that freeze well (stews and soups). I portion it out into individual containers and freeze some for later use and eat some for the week.

I have found that shredded chicken/pork freeze really well. I prepare a few pounds in the crockpot and freeze in 100 gram baggies.

I use the shredded chicken in salads, recipes or just a quick pre-prepared protein fix.

Plan your dinners and make enough for leftovers for lunch.

Portion out everything you are eating for the week. One of my favorite mid-day snacks is greek yogurt, cottage cheese and salsa. I prepare this on Sunday for each day and throw in half an avocado when I'm ready to eat.

I prepare all of my meals, other than dinner, on sunday.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Here are my go-to items that are often on my list:

Natural peanut butter or almond butter, almond/coconut milk, bananas, apples, spinach, greek yogurt, lower fat string cheese, plain old fashioned oatmeal (not quick cook), chicken breasts, almonds, baby carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, mini peppers, snap peas, strawberries (in season), protein bars, honey or stevia, squash, sweet potatoes, coffee, tea, low carb tortillas,quinoa, tuna to put on salads, eggs or egg whites, frozen berries for smoothies, and protein powder. I try to eat a lot of fresh foods, although they can be more expensive. I routinely eat the same few sets of breakfasts and lunches with moderate tweaking of ingredients and just branch out at dinner.

A couple of things for me: I tend to binge so I limit the food I bring into the house to things that don't trigger me. If I want a sweet treat on occasion or pizza, etc. I eat it OUT as a treat. I also find the more variety I have of carbs in my house, the more I tend to eat. That's just me though. You know what works for you.

I love making soups and stews and freezing them in individual portions. The crockpot is my BFF. It's economical and real food! :) Totally agree about the versatility of shredded chicken as well.
  • _taylorlydia
    Options
    you guys are AWESOME and i'm taking notes from all of your posts! my biggest obstacle when it comes to shopping is my boyfriend- he HATES whole wheat pasta, bread, anything and i love it.. which means i have to cook two dinners or he has to suffer. i guess my health, at this point, has to come first over his pickiness. :wink:
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Bumping to come back to later for ideas.
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    biggest helper for broke gal budget such as myself lol - progresso soups. i personally am not a soup fan naturally, but at only say $1.25 (or less) a can at Walmart - I can swing it. I have that, with some crackers, and sometimes if I can stretch things, I put the soup ontop of some steamer bag rice.

think of.....quality, not quantity (which is hard when you're on a budget like I am I KNOW! lol trust me, I do - but in the long haul quality is worth it.

I've even started shopping only a few days at a time - so that i'm forced to eat the fresh produce and all.

hope this helps! :)
  • leachjg
    leachjg Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Meal plan. My husband gets paid every two weeks. I make a menu and buy only what I need plus some things for lunches for the kiddos and myself, usually extra veggies I can nuke, etc. You could make a one week plan and probably freeze half for the next week then you would slowly build up "emergency" meals in the freezer for when other food is getting low. You can make egg muffins and freeze them for quick breakfast foods.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Good ideas! bump
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    A bag of oats, eggs, any protein on sale that week (beef/fish/chicken/turkey, etc. whatever is cheapest), two bags of frozen vegetables, fresh fruit on sale or a bag of apples (usually there are 8-10 for $5). Look for items similar to that and then with whatever money left over, get a few treats for yourself!

^^^This!!^^^

Some of the lists and suggestions here won't fly if someone's broke. Avocadoes? Really. They're $1.79 apiece where I live. Pomegranates? Come on.

Marked-down bananas are a favorite of mine. Potatoes are often on sale for a dollar or two for a 5-pound bag. Cabbage and carrots are inexpensive. A small bag of dry beans cooks up into about 8 servings for a couple dollars, much less expensive than canned.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes, veggie broth, frozen vegetables, baby spinach, almond milk, coconut milk yogurt, granola, pearl cous cous, crushed tomatoes, sometimes pasta... it really depends on what I have and what's been bought already by others.