Juicing?? Blending?? Fusion Juicer??

Options
I have read so much about juicing and blending I have a headache, so I'm hoping some people here can give me some help. I'm not a veggie eater, not much of a fruit eater either, I was raised on junk food and never, ever, ever was made to eat a fruit or veggie...therefore, they are gross to me. I have tried and tried and tried to get use to the taste of vegetables and I really just want to barf, even most fruits make me want to barf. But I need to somehow get these down the hatch, I don't really like chunks in something that I'm drinking and that is where the blending makes me nervous, but after reading about the hassle of juicing....the waste, clean up...etc, etc, I'm not so sure about that either. I ordered the Fusion Juicer from an infomercial over a month ago, it still has not shipped and I'm really thinking about calling tomorrow to cancel the order. Any advice?

Any pros/cons on the Fusion Juicer??

Can you blend kale in a blender, along with other veggies and get a smooth liquid?...lol

Ugh...I wish I could just get use to eating the darn things...so gross.

Help,
Sherry

Edited to add....thanks for any help or advice!!

Replies

• Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    So, you're wanting to do smoothies to get in more nutrients? My suggestion would be to forget the juicer and go for a good blender. Something like a Vitamix. That sucker pulverizes anything! LOL It also breaks it down to a molecular level to make it easier to digest and absorb. At least that is what they say! LOL I have one and I love it! But there ways to get those veggies and fruit in. A couple of things you can do is to try small bits of a variety of things and find just ONE you can stomach a few bites of. Make it a point to eat a little bit every day and over time, you will adjust and be able to eat more. After a while, add a new thing. This ups your food tolerance and 're-teaches' you how to eat. You won't immediately love it and you won't like it all. But you'll find a few things you like! Next, you can 'sneak' healthier stuff into your regular stuff. A good example of this is brownies. I make mine with avocado. :) Another is soup... which the Vitamix can blend smooth for you and even cook it! You can hide all sorts of good stuff that way. Sauces are great because even a simple marinara can contain tomatoes, garlic, onion, spinach, etc. I believe there is even a cookbook out that shows how to hide the healthy stuff in things if you don't have a high food tolerance. And with something like a Vitamix, it's even easier. Heck, the ice cream I make in it even has spinach and avocado and you don't taste it at all! I'm not in sales for Vitamix, but I sure do love mine and after testing several, it was my fave by far and you CAN make just juice in it, too. They can be pricey but you can get them through places like Costco or even on their website -- the reconditioned ones are priced well and have a fantastic warranty. I hope this helps... I just have never really seen the use of only juicing -- seemed like such a hassle and a waste. Good luck whatever you choose!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree. I would cancel the juicer. A big part of why fruit and veggies are so recommended is their high fiber content. A juicer removes it. The fiber is what makes you full and cleans out your digestive system and slows the absorption of fats and sugars. The juice is basically concentrated calories. Sure, it has lots of vitamins but it is calorie dense and not filling. And cleaning a juicer sucks. Had one. Used it twice.

Smoothies do let you get veggies and fruit down in a palatable way but if they're not smooth, they're kind of gross... you're right. And to get them smooth, I think you need a high powered blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec. I have a Blendtec and I do make green smoothies in it all the time and they're very smooth and I can't taste the spinach at all. But it was almost $400. Maybe look into the new Ninja that is around $200 and says it competes with Vitamix? I would watch independent consumer reviews online. I considered a Ninja once but people online showed them making stringy green smoothies.
  • aaustin24
    aaustin24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I ditto the above post. I love my Vitamix and make soups and smoothies in it daily. It is an expensive purchase so you may want to just get a less expensive blender while starting out... it's totally worth the price! I have a juicer and a blender, but rarely use the juicer...kinda a pain. I add spinach to every smoothie I make...it has no flavor. Eventually, you can add kale too once you get a craving for your greens. My favorite smoothie is a cup of water, 1 cup of raw or frozen spinach, 1/2 cup frozen berries, and 1/2 cup frozen mangos. SO GOOD! Experiment with your smoothies...it's pretty hard to mess it up. Good luck...and eat your veggies! :smile:
  • SherrysLife2012
    Options
    WOW....thank you everyone, I loved all the advice!!!! I did cancel the juicer and after the holidays I'm going to look into getting a Vitamix and I'm going to look for that recipe book on hiding the healthy stuff. Thanks again everyone and thanks for the advice!!

Sherry
    Learning new stuff everyday on how to get healthier.....love MFP and the people here!!