Inner thigh/groin pain when running

Options
I recently decided to start HIIT where i warm up for 3-5 mins (leisurely pace walking) and then alternate 15 second sprint with 45 walking, but whenever i run, i feel a pain in my inner thigh/groin which resides in my left thigh only, what can i do to avoid this, it was bearable when i started this a few days ago and i thought that it must be because i just started running, but it's honestly getting much worse

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You could try stretching it before you run:
    http://youtu.be/cQAG9DtKWho?t=4m50s
    Hold it for 30 seconds. Only stretch the left side.

If that doesn't help, i would see a doctor, ideally a sports doctor or orthopedist.
  • GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Becareful when you do HIIT because if you might have a muscle imbalance. I would suggest an easier warm up. Try light stretching after you are warmed up from the last post also try using a foam roller.
  • persistandendure
    Options
    Could be your shoes as well...I noticed that it didn't happen to me when I got a different pair of shoes...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    sounds like a groin strain, get it checked out by a doc or physio
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Make sure you take enough time to warm up and wear compression shorts. They will keep the muscles warmer and help with the recovery. They also hold everything in its place.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    get a foam roller and roll out before your workout. I had something similar and it was a knot in my hip joint.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    in for responses as I have the same thing but it stops hurting as soon as it "pops", literally an audible "POP" bring me to my knees in piain pop but all good after that...
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Could be your shoes as well...I noticed that it didn't happen to me when I got a different pair of shoes...

Shoes are a good starting point
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You could try stretching it before you run:
    http://youtu.be/cQAG9DtKWho?t=4m50s
    Hold it for 30 seconds. Only stretch the left side.

If that doesn't help, i would see a doctor, ideally a sports doctor or orthopedist.

I couldn't disagree more. Static stretching (anything you "hold") isn't recommended prior to running (really hasn't been for quite a while).

A proper warm-up of dynamic stretching is normally the standard, and what most seasoned runners practice.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I recently decided to start HIIT where i warm up for 3-5 mins (leisurely pace walking) and then alternate 15 second sprint with 45 walking, but whenever i run, i feel a pain in my inner thigh/groin which resides in my left thigh only, what can i do to avoid this, it was bearable when i started this a few days ago and i thought that it must be because i just started running, but it's honestly getting much worse

That's really not enough warming up. If I am doing intervals, I usually warm - up (easy run) for at least a mile and do some dynamic stretching, as well.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    sounds like a groin strain, get it checked out by a doc or physio

that is what it sounds like to me, at least those were my symptoms when i was running pretty frequently (a few years back). It turned out that i had a slight strain in my groin. the doc gave me a list of stretches, and let me know what exercises were ok to do & what to avoid until it healed. Of course it could very well be something else....I would go to the doc & get it looked at to find out for sure.