To gym or not to gym

Options
Ok so I just started a new job, working in childcare, and as any who work in the industry will know, its physically demanding. I get home from work absolutely exhausted and with such sore feet I can barely walk. Should I still be going to the gym after work? I cant go before as I start very early. I burned 560 calories today in half my normal shift, so do I really need to go?

Replies

• Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Personal choice, but your body will adapt to the work, so i wouldn't be using it as exercise
  • monisiaczeq
    monisiaczeq Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    for me gym is the perfect thing after a long day.. i would say "when in doubt, go work out" :)
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I think this would depend on how you have your MFP settings, like how active you set yourself in the settings. If you already put like really active or whatever the option is, it already takes into account what it thinks you probably burn, so it gives you your calorie goal with that in mind already.

But I'm sure someone more knowledgable will come along and give you more info.
  • rcollins100
    rcollins100 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would say it's really up to you on this one. There are obviously benefits to going to the gym, no matter how much your body protests - You can do a more varied workout and you'll feel very pleased with yourself afterwards. But if you really can't face it on the days you are working, maybe make it your priority to go on your days off, and do a home workout on some of your working days instead? Any additional exercise on top of the calories you burn off at work will always make you feel great and it means you can eat those calories back too - Always a good thing!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what your fitness goals are and how your daily work meets those goals. Hauling children around all day will be good for upper body strength training but maybe not so good for cardiovascular fitness! Deciding whether you can be bothered doing extra exercise after work is a decision you will need to make based on what you want to achieve.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Gym
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ok so I just started a new job, working in childcare, and as any who work in the industry will know, its physically demanding. I get home from work absolutely exhausted and with such sore feet I can barely walk. Should I still be going to the gym after work? I cant go before as I start very early. I burned 560 calories today in half my normal shift, so do I really need to go?

adjust your activity setting on MFP to reflect having an active job... and buy some new shoes for work!!

this however has little to do with whether you go to the gym or not.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has a hard time fitting exercise into their day. For most people finding the energy after working all day is hard. Like you, I work with children. I have had a home childcare for twenty years. My day with the kids starts at 7am and it goes until 6pm. When I started twenty years ago, I was sure I was active enough each day to keep off any added weight. But our bodies adapt and change. It didn't take long for my body to get used to my "normal" routine and calorie burn and I started gaining weight. My solution was/is to get my work out in before work. I get up at 4:30 to get into the gym by 5am. It was EXCRUCIATINGLY hard at first, but it has become a habit and has become something I actually look forward to every day! It is MY time. It is usually pretty quiet at the gym at that time also. You will have to find out what works for you. Maybe it will be a few minutes in the morning, a walk during lunch (if you get a break from the kids), a few minutes in the evening...
    Good luck! I know you will figure it out and find your balance!