"Just Do It"

Options
I think I'm finally getting it.

Over the last 5 years, my fitness and shape have suffered because, quite simply, I've been lazy. I've had excuses. "I'm tired." "I had a rough day." "It's too hard." .... my favorite? "I worked out on Monday, and I'm sore! Besides, that was a really good workout, I should get to rest..." leading to lounging around the rest of the week.

This time around, I'm finally getting the "Just DO IT!!!!" mentality, and realizing how much my excuses have been holding me back. After starting a walking goal (12k steps a day) and starting KettleWorx recently, I am run down- why? Because my body is so used to me being lazy and making excuses!

Today, I had a real victory- completely tiny and silly to most people, but I feel empowered! On a day that I woke up feeling grumpy, run down, and annoyed by so many things in life, I didn't phone it in like I would have any day in the last 5 years. Before, I would have said "Oh, I exceeded my step goal yesterday, so I can skimp today." Before, I would have said "Well, I need to do 3 KettleWorx work out sessions a week- I just did one on Sunday, so I can have TWO rest days, and still get my other two in."

It started by making my steps, despite waking up with my old attitude. I snuck them in all day- a walk to the grocery store, going to Home Depot with my husband when my old attitude would have told him to go without me, pacing while on the phone instead of sitting. Then, once my husband went to bed, I did something I would have never done before. Instead of finishing off the evening sitting on the couch drinking wine, I popped that DVD in and did that workout.

I guess this is a long story over something that most people would take for granted, but for me this was huge. I am probably writing this more for me, to remember, than for anyone else, since it laughably small. But it was a true eye opener for how much I want this, and how much I willing to make the changes.

My note to myself- Set the goals. Stay accountable. JUST FREAKING DO IT.

And to any of you that may have actually read this verbal vomit, what do you plan to "just DO" today??? Inspire me :)

Replies

• lambchoplewis
    Options
    Make TODAY your best friend and kick tomorrow to the curb!!!!
  • poma91
    poma91 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    For me everyday is an endless battle with myself. I was also like you, I made excuses, heck I should say that I am still like that since I have to "convince" myself every single day to get off my bum and exercise. However, for me the bigger battle is when it comes to food. I seriously have a problem with that. It feels like a torture every single day. My brain screams that I want to eat crap, but I know that this will do nothing good for my body. So what keeps me going everyday is the thought that I did it yesterday, why shouldn't I be able to keep it up one more day?
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It's a life time deal.....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    For me everyday is an endless battle with myself. I was also like you, I made excuses, heck I should say that I am still like that since I have to "convince" myself every single day to get off my bum and exercise. However, for me the bigger battle is when it comes to food. I seriously have a problem with that. It feels like a torture every single day. My brain screams that I want to eat crap, but I know that this will do nothing good for my body. So what keeps me going everyday is the thought that I did it yesterday, why shouldn't I be able to keep it up one more day?

or just eat crap but stick to a calorie deficit to lose weight...
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    "It's a lifetime deal" (Sorry, forgot to properly quote)

This I know for certain. I have been eating healthier for a long time, and I know that it is what I need to keep up for the rest of my life. I have had little problem with that aspect. I am hoping and striving to make exercise a lifetime aspect as well, and it felt very great today, for the first time in ages, to have that little voice that tells me that I can't just stop because I did well a day ago.
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options

I'm the opposite, food has been much easier for me- one quick thought, is it torture for you because you are being too strict with your definition of "crap"? I try to eat pretty paleo most of the time, but if I want a Lean Cuisine Panini, or a Power Bar, or even a heaping bowl of icecream, I enjoy the heck out of it and just try to adjust my other daily foods to accommodate. In my experience, complete restriction has always caused me to give up.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Excuses are for people who don't want it bad enough....find a way and JUST DO IT!

That is my profile quote and I remind myself to just do it whenever I start making excuses.

You got this!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! This morning my alarm went off and there was a message on my phone saying "You thought this would be a good time to workout". I just wanted to slam the phone against the wall and go back to sleep but I got up and "Just did it." No more excuses.
  • poma91
    poma91 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

or just eat crap but stick to a calorie deficit to lose weight...

Sorry but I think that is bad advice. Granted I love a slice of cheesy pizza but living on crap food and keeping a calorie deficit puts me in a bad mood, I am bloated all the time and I just feel so exhausted all the time. I've tried that already LOL doesn't work for me.

I'm the opposite, food has been much easier for me- one quick thought, is it torture for you because you are being too strict with your definition of "crap"?

No, actually I don't consider myself being too strict but I also think that depends on the point of view. What I find it hard is keeping low carb, high protein diet, which is highly recommended with the workout program that I do. Portion control is also another issue, but I am getting there. :)