How long before you call it a stall?

Options
I'm curious about this, I'm not sure if i should just be more patient or if my weight loss has in fact stalled. I've been the same weight for the past two weeks.

I was just diagnosed with Meniere's disease which is a disease of the inner ear that causes vertigo and tinnitus. I was put on a diuretic to help balance out extra fluid in my ear canal. You would think I would be losing water weight and spending my days in the little girls room. Not the case.

Anyway, all this because I am an over thinker and was wondering what you guys consider a stall ? How long approximately?

Thanks!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    2-3 weeks.
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    2-3 weeks.

Thanks, that was what I was thinking. Curious if that's the general consensus.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    4-6 weeks for me personally
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    4 weeks
  • Lennonluv2
    Options

Hmmm, so I guess like anything else it can vary depending on the person. Thanks for your input.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    2-3 weeks. But do NOT give up or panic!

I have been using MFP since March 25. I stalled for 2-3 weeks back in June shortly after losing 20 lb. My calorie readjustment after the 20 lb loss really threw me for a loop.

Now I am in my second 'stall'. I've been "losing" and "gaining" the same 3 lb for a little over 2 weeks now. I'm down today to my all-time low of 211 but my last check-in at 213 was a couple weeks ago and I keep getting frustrated by the up/down as it usually JUST goes down (slowly and steadily).

My opinion here is that many people give up when they have had steady progress and then stall. I am determined not to do that! I hope you won't either :-) Hang in there!!
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Hmmm, so I guess like anything else it can vary depending on the person. Thanks for your input.

The reason I say 4-6 weeks for me is because I want to eliminate the possibility of water weight and the closer to your goal you get the slower the loss might be. There is no right or wrong answer really it's personal to everyone :smile:

When I was within 20lbs of my goal I wasn't losing a steady 1lb a week anymore, it was probably closer to 0.5lbs and with weight fluctuations you don't always see it on the scale. That's actually when I stopped weighting myself for about a month and went with measurements instead. Turned out I thought I wanted to weight 115lbs and I ended up very happy at 125lbs
  • Lennonluv2
    Options
    2-3 weeks. But do NOT give up or panic!

I have been using MFP since March 25. I stalled for 2-3 weeks back in June shortly after losing 20 lb. My calorie readjustment after the 20 lb loss really threw me for a loop.

Now I am in my second 'stall'. I've been "losing" and "gaining" the same 3 lb for a little over 2 weeks now. I'm down today to my all-time low of 211 but my last check-in at 213 was a couple weeks ago and I keep getting frustrated by the up/down as it usually JUST goes down (slowly and steadily).

My opinion here is that many people give up when they have had steady progress and then stall. I am determined not to do that! I hope you won't either :-) Hang in there!!

Giving up is not an option but panicking/worrying/over analyzing.... it's what I tend to do. I keep thinking of switching to the TDEE method. I'm confused. I want to maybe try bi-weekly or even monthly weigh in's. Thanks for your words of encouragement :).
  • Lennonluv2
    Options

The reason I say 4-6 weeks for me is because I want to eliminate the possibility of water weight and the closer to your goal you get the slower the loss might be. There is no right or wrong answer really it's personal to everyone :smile:

When I was within 20lbs of my goal I wasn't losing a steady 1lb a week anymore, it was probably closer to 0.5lbs and with weight fluctuations you don't always see it on the scale. That's actually when I stopped weighting myself for about a month and went with measurements instead. Turned out I thought I wanted to weight 115lbs and I ended up very happy at 125lbs

Gotcha! And again. thanks!
  • jlb0301
    Options
    4 weeks for me. I've been losing weight since May and I do not lose evenly. I plateau for three weeks, then will lose 3 lbs in a week. I don't know why as I've been eating the same, consistent exercise. I just do not actually lose one lb a week. It averages out to one lb a week, but in actuality its three lbs at the three week mark...then nothing for another three week.
  • Lennonluv2
    Options
    4 weeks for me. I've been losing weight since May and I do not lose evenly. I plateau for three weeks, then will lose 3 lbs in a week. I don't know why as I've been eating the same, consistent exercise. I just do not actually lose one lb a week. It averages out to one lb a week, but in actuality its three lbs at the three week mark...then nothing for another three week.

I know it works that way for some people.