Unsupportive Spouse

Options
13»

Replies

• PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend is endlessly sabotaging me. He straight up tells me he doesn't want me losing weight. He claims it is because he find me more attractive when I'm bigger...

but that's a lie, because he only initiates sex when i get below a certain weight, which happens to be about the same time he starts shoving cheese fries (literally) in my face and stocking the freezer with ice cream,

I have come to believe that he is insecure and maybe he feels like if I get conventionally "hot" (lol, not going to happen with this face!) then I'll leave him or something.

So I just power through the cheese fries and the ice cream and work out when I can.

Gotta do it for yourself, ya know?

also.

the search function is GREAT, but then everyone b*tches about zombie threads
  • hickorycutie
    hickorycutie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    my husband isnt supportive in anything i seem to wanna do. When my dad passed away almost 3 yrs ago he was cold hearted and un supportive in that situation also.. just makes ya think is the grass really greener on the other side?
  • lillivewire87
    lillivewire87 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't so much unsupportive as he is just clueless. He doesn't understand why I ask him to please only eat his junk foods at work or in a different room and not in front of me. He compliments me and says "Babe you are so strong! I don't need to hide them because your doing great not eating them"...*SIGH*. I HATE being in the same room while he is munching on potato chips. He compliments me, and encourages me to go to the gym...but refuses to let me get rid of the junk food in the house and gets upset when I leave the room if he is snacking because he wants to hang out with me...which is great....don't get me wrong, I just cannot be around the snicky snacks. I throw out the chips and cookies he goes and buys more. I dump the soda down the drain and he gets more...he doesn't understand how HARD it is to resist those things. I dearly love the man, I just wish he would listen when I tell him how hard it is. If he really wants to eat it fine...just don't do it around me...keep them in the man cave and at work where they aren't in front of my face tempting me to break my resolve. Truly, my hope is he will see my success in the long run and want to fully join in...including ditching the potato chips.
  • valeriepaluszynski
    Options
    My husband supports all of the changes I am making and is my greatest cheerleader for weight loss - but definitely has limits regarding what changes can affect him. He enjoys dinner salads but draws the line at any vegan or vegetarian meals - and it is simply easier to eat a lot more food for fewer calories when most are vegetables, which I love. And then I have picky 13 year old. I adapted by making what I want and then adding sides for them. Like a vegan spicy kale and bean entrée with one small ham steak for them to divide. Or if I make grilled chicken and a salad, I will make pierogies for them. I just pick foods that don't tempt me too much. My hubby could lose 10-15 lbs, my son tends to get larger around the middle and then shoot up in height so he could eat healthier too, but nobody needs to lose 50+ like me. I can't expect them to enthusiastically join me in everything I do, but they don't sabotage either.
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have the best husband in the world, but that is because I have communicated to him through the years, and he has learned his lessons well. I'm not sure what you are dealing with when it comes to your spouse, but I hope that this can be turned into a learning experience for both of you.

Life is all about journeys. Your marriage is a journey, just as your weight loss is. Journeys have good days and bad days, they have hills and valleys, they have sun and they have clouds and they have rain and they have torrential downpours. Most of all, journeys are full of lessons. If you communicate and patiently teach her, your spouse may be able to learn how to be supportive, but in the meantime you have to learn how to lose weight with or without that support.

Hang in there...you can do this!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one dealing with an unsupportive Spouse?

Wouldn't it be weird if your spouse was on some other forum asking exactly the same thing...
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    No you are not alone!!

I also have an UN-supportive spouse! I find that you have to really dig deep inside your soul and do it for yourself!

the support that I have received from my friends on here.. has been amazing!!! I love my friends on here.. they are awesome!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: