Help make cottage cheese more eatable

Options
Ive been on MFP for a VERY long time with a lot of ups and downs and giving ups. I have decided that I need to change this and really stick with it! this weight loss isn't just for me I need to be healthy for my family as well, I have two small daughters and a husband with cancer. I have heard that cottage cheese and ricotta cheese is a great source of protein and great to eat before bed, however just the thought of cottage cheese makes me want to vomit :sick: . Is there any recipes that you or someone you know can share to make this a little less sickening. I would greatly appreicate it.

Thank you:smile:

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can't make it edible, it's disgusting. Only good use for it is in lasagna.

If you don't like something, don't eat it. Weight loss is calories in/calories out. Eating foods you don't like won't promote it.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    There are other sources of protein find something you actually like
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    if you don't like it don't eat it, it wont satify you! Try quark or greek yoghurt or protein shakes.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I like to throw a table spoon of jam in my cottage cheese, some fresh fruit, or cereal (I like Cinnamon/Chocolate chex mix). I also like to throw protein powder into it. Good luck!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I used to hate cottage cheese too. I get Friendship brand whipped--it's almost the same texture as ricotta. I eat it with berries and nuts. I used to do a little drizzle of honey as well.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You can't make it edible, it's disgusting. Only good use for it is in lasagna.

If you don't like something, don't eat it. Weight loss is calories in/calories out. Eating foods you don't like won't promote it.

this 100% lol

I hate cottage cheese except in cannellonies and lasagna
    Don't try to eat something you don't like lol
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    If you are determined to try to get it down (I've since given up) --- in the a.m. I would put a 1/2 c cottage cheese in a container and slice fresh strawberries (2-3) over it and refrigerate for lunch at work. Let the strawberries natural juice help flavor and then it wasn't so bad. Tried the other fruits but I preferred strawberries.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I didn't care for it at first, but then I had a friend who put avocado and tomato with a little salt and pepper in hers and now I'm hooked! I will even add a boiled egg and a few triscuit thin crisps for crunch and it's a meal!
  • nehmon
    nehmon Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i do add about 10 till 20 gr honey to it sometimes.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I love it. Eat it everyday. Delmonte diced peaches with brown sugar and cinnamon and Borden low fat Cottage cheese 1/2 cup. 150 calories and 14 grams of protein.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I hate those things, too.I don't use ricotta is lasagna and haven't found the courage to eat a cannoli yet.
    Before bed I often have a bowl of steel cut oats with half a scoop of chocolate protein powder and some dried fruit.

Chicken, fish, eggs, Greek yogurt, protein bars/shakes - are my main protein sources.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I find the brand of cottage cheese can really make a big difference. I get the 1% small curd store brand from Walmart. Other store brands even with the same percent have different textures and flavors.

But of course there's no reason to eat it if you don't like it. Personally I love cottage cheese but hate greek yogurt. Just find what works for you.
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I used to hate cottage cheese too. I get Friendship brand whipped--it's almost the same texture as ricotta. I eat it with berries and nuts. I used to do a little drizzle of honey as well.

THIS^^^

I was never a fan of cottage cheese ... tried Breakstones and another brand, hated it. I tried Friendship 1% (Fit To Go) and loved it. I costs $1 at Fairway so it doesn't hurt to try and I don't feel the need to mask it, I can eat it straight up - top it on crackers etc. 16grams of protein for less than 100 calories - naturally low fat, low sugar.
  • mdivamuffin
    mdivamuffin Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese. I eat it with pineapple or blueberries and a drop of maple syrup. Yummy :smile:
  • CrappyMornings
    Options
    I like to throw a table spoon of jam in my cottage cheese, some fresh fruit, or cereal (I like Cinnamon/Chocolate chex mix). I also like to throw protein powder into it. Good luck!

I do this too! it's a nice treat plus sometimes mixing in sweetened whipped heavy cream is amazing..makes it airy and light. My SO used to hate cottage cheese until I got him eating it with jam or preserves!
  • minimalistmom
    Options
    I love to eat cottage cheese with red peppers, or for a mix up, I will eat pineapple on it, and some people I know will put paprika on it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese isn't the only way to get protein. If it disgusts you beyond reason, don't eat it. I tried, and for someone who's disgusted by it, it just isn't palatable.
  • CrappyMornings
    Options
    Oh and low fat cottage cheese is disgusting.. 4% from Friendship is where it's at
  • newmantjn
    newmantjn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I do NOT like cottage cheese on it's own, especially the Fat Free stuff.

BUT, if you mix half and half with fat free yoplait - I like the strawberry white chocolate - it tastes great! Sort of like that strawberry salad thing your aunt Mildred used to make for Thanksgiving dinner.
  • lydbug08
    lydbug08 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i like the low fat dairymens cottage cheese. i really love it w/ crushed pineapple. but i've had it w/ some sunflower seeds or just thrown in coarse black pepper. but i agree w/ some of the other posts. if you dont like it, dont force it. you can find other alternatives. try quinoa. i make it w/ chopped onion, a little olive oil, salt and balsamic vinegar.