Runner envy! How do they do it?

Options

Replies

• Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/running-air-breathing-technique

This helped me a TON! I used to have the same issue. I found ^this, combined with C25K to be the best. I'm now doing a 10K trainer and running 17 minute intervals with 1 minute walks with no problem!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm also going to put in a plug for C25K - I am now onto week 2 and although week 1 was a bit of a shock to my system I am starting to feel really good when I'm "running" now. It's amazing how quickly you build up running fitness if you keep at it.

In case anyone is interested in the C25K programme: I'm using the free Zen Labs app, which is an 8 week program. Week 1 was 3x 30 minute sessions, consisting of a 5 min walking warm-up, then 8 sets of [60 seconds running, 90 seconds walking], then 5 mins walking cool down. Week 2 is 5 min warm-up, 6 sets of [90 seconds running, 120 seconds walking], 5 minute cool-down. You can go at your own pace and it tells you when to walk or jog.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I've never really been a runner until this year. I've completed 2 5K's... signed up for my first 5K/Mud Run next year and very seriously considering signing up for a half marathon next year as well.
    1) don't compare yourself to others... you don't know their story and how long they've been running. Just worry about you.
    2) Start out slow... try jogging for a song.... then walk a song... jog a song. Eventually you'll get to where you can jog an entire mile.
    3) Never underestimate the power of a good playlist.
    4) Take water... you will wish you did if you don't. I recently purchased a hydration belt that holds a 20oz water bottle... what a lifesaver! Now I don't have to jog carrying a bottle of water.
    5) Sign up for a fun run/walk like a color run... they are a ton of fun and you'll have such a sense of accomplishment in finishing it that you'll want to do tons more!

Good luck and have fun! :)
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have always had runner envy. lol I have tried jogging and failed badly. I just get so out of breath. Some runners say they have asthma and still able to do it. I also have scoliosis (which doesn't normally bother me) and have had pinched nerve or something and my leg gives out. Its really weird and hurts when you hit the pavement! Anyone ever had that? Seriously, what are your running secrets? :)

I have asthma but it isn't triggered by exercise, just cigarette smoke and extreme changes of temperature. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

As for the scoliosis, this could be a result of your running style. If you are hitting the pavement with your heel first, you are in effect doing two things (i) transferring a huge impact up your leg, through your hip and into your spine and (ii) temporarily braking every step.

Check out running techniques such as Chi Running for improvements. It helped me loads quite recently and I nailed three PBs in one run using the new style.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I started running when I weighed just under 400 pounds. Seven years later and I've ran 5 marathons. SO if my fat *kitten* can do it, anyone can.

Here is the best advice I can give:
    1. Go to a running store and have them recommend shoes based on your gait (if they don't watch you walk in your stocking feet their not doing right)
    2. Embrace a slow pace - If you can't carry on a conversation your running too fast. (A month ago a ran my fastest half marathon, I talked to my friend the first 10 miles)
    3. Remember slow is smooth and smooth is fast
    4. Get a gps watch, it helps with pacing
    5. Lift weights to give you better overal strength, you use your whole body to run (it took me two years to figure that out)
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have always had runner envy. lol I have tried jogging and failed badly. I just get so out of breath. Some runners say they have asthma and still able to do it. I also have scoliosis (which doesn't normally bother me) and have had pinched nerve or something and my leg gives out. Its really weird and hurts when you hit the pavement! Anyone ever had that? Seriously, what are your running secrets? :)

My secret is thinking about how much cake I can eat when I am done running YUMMY CAKE:happy:
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I run in part to help crush my asthma/keep it under control. Start slow, take walking breaks. I love Jeff Galloway's run-walk system (he has several books) and use his 26.2 app for my marathon training. For example: Try running 3 minutes, walking 1 minute, then repeat. Then move to 5 minutes running, 1 min walking, repeat, etc. Once you see your mileage increase, runners tend to get hooked on the endorphin rush and it's hard to stop. Building your core strength helps a lot-lifting weights, planking, etc. Try to concentrate on breathing deeper when running-it helps.

My sister has scoliosis too and she runs a lot but balances it with weights & spinning, too.

Good luck!
  • purduekate
    purduekate Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the runners saying that they used Couch to 5 K. There is a great FREE app C25K that was a godsend for me. You will definitely be able to do it!
  • Be11adonna
    Be11adonna Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, C25K is a very good starting point. The program will get you running for 30 minutes after 9 weeks (at lease the UK version does). Listen to your body, breathe, pace yourself, get your gait analysed and wear proper running shoes. Also Joining an online running community has helped me tremendously for support and motivation. Keep at it, you can do this.

Good luck.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    ditto on the couch to 5K app! I haven't ran since high school (almost 15 yrs ago) and even then I never ran. About to finish up week 2 and lemme tell ya running 90 seconds without stopping is HUGE for me. Oh, and I also broke my kneecap in a car accident 2 yrs ago, if my ortho found out i was running, he'd probably kill me. He's always underestimated my capabilities though, i am more than determined to push myself as far as i can despite my "disability" ( i have very poor flexion).

Soooooo, download that app girl and get to it.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and I'm on week 8 of C25K. I ran for 28 minutes straight this morning for the first time ever. (Well, I stopped to look when crossing streets, but that's it.) You can do it! I take my inhaler 15-30 minutes before I go out, and I often have to take it when I get done. But my lung capacity is improving (which my doctor is thrilled about) and I'm having to rely on it less and less.

I'll agree with what everyone says about getting professionally fitted for shoes and running really slowly. I swear I jog slower than I walk, but I am getting faster.

One thing I will say that I haven't seen mentioned yet, is to focus on time for C25K. They will say that by the end you're running 30 minutes or 5K, which is a 10-minute mile, which is really fast for a beginner. Don't worry about the distance; once you complete the program you can slowly add distance to get up to 5K.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Start slowly. Don't waste energy worrying about how you look while running. Push throught the uncomfortable periods...that's when you are gaining endurance. Understand it's about the mental stamina as well as the physical.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    A great way to slow down and pace yourself is to slow your workout mix. 140-150bpm + songs are great, but if you are running slowly they go too fast and encourage you to do the same.
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    In addition to all the great advice already given I would suggest trying trail running. Running on pavement really kills me. I feel like the hard surface just sucks the energy out of my legs. I feel so much better when I run on trails. They don't have to be rough. A lot of parks have crushed gravel or bridle trails that are really nice. The down side is I have to drive to get to them but I feel it's worth it.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Start slowly and get properly fitted shoes. Shoes make a huge different. I have bad joints and super flat feet. I had my shoes fitted at a running store and things hurt a lot less.

+1!

I have ankylosing spondylitis, and getting properly fitted finally made it possible to learn to run. I started trying --the operative word being "trying"-- to walk 1 mile. That was last April. Today I ran 3.1.

They are the most expensive shoes I have ever owned :( but they made it possible. :).
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Start slowly and get properly fitted shoes. Shoes make a huge different. I have bad joints and super flat feet. I had my shoes fitted at a running store and things hurt a lot less.

+1!

I have ankylosing spondylitis, and getting properly fitted finally made it possible to learn to run. I started trying --the operative word being "trying"-- to walk 1 mile. That was last April. Today I ran 3.1.

They are the most expensive shoes I have ever owned :( but they made it possible. :).

Massive respect. I know someone with AS, and know how debilitating it can be. Bravo, sir.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    You're not alone! I've had asthma my whole life and have never been able to run. I would love to but I've tried and also failed miserably.
    I have bad asthma, I run. I did a sprint tri.

It's all about conditioning, and barring actual joint or bone issues, anyone can run. The thing is, you can't just go out there and start spanking the pavement with your feet. You have to train for it properly. That's how you work up from 15 minute miles to 7 minute miles. I've gone from 15 to 10, and my most recent 5k time wasn't amazing, but it was a personal best of 33 minutes, and that was after a half mile swim and a 12 mile bike ride. :)
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Good stuff here! I say this often, because I think it gets overlooked, but the sole purpose of the way our bodies were designed by evolution is to run long distances. We evolved with one of the most efficient cooling systems of any animal on the planet. Everything about our bodies is designed to run a long way. The theory goes that early man literally wore down it's prey by keeping it on the move. Eventually, the animals would overheat (due to a poorly designed cooling system!) and the hunter was able to kill the prey. This process would take a long time, introducing evolutionary pressure to improve. Next time someone says "running is bad for you", you'll know better.

It's also important, imo, to have a very long term view of things when you first start running. Your bones and tendons will adapt much more slowly than your muscles and even more slowly than your cardiovascular ability. That's the reason everyone is suggesting going slow and walking here and there. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that you can't lay down to big a base. I made the mistake of going to the speed work a little quickly. Fortunately, I didn't get injured, but if you get enough running friends, you'll here lot's of injury stories because folks neglect to pay attention to building a good running base.

Start slowly, read up a little on running form and remember you are doing something that your body understands because that's what it was designed to do!
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Echo... C25K. Never could run growing up, now I can.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Seriously, what are your running secrets? :)

Build up slowly, consistently.

That's it.

Biggest mistake people make is going out too fast, too far to start with. Do a C25K. Then a bridge to 10k.

Slowly, patiently.