Day 2
30 minutes treadmill
3 sets, 10 reps each
Leg Press 75#
Glute work 75#
Leg curls 80#
Leg Extension 50#

Day 3 - Off

I am just starting out, have a fitness level of ZERO, I am going to do this for 2 weeks, then reassess. Please let me know if this is not a good way to start out.

Replies

• arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Perhaps others will disagree with me but that seems a lot of exercise all of a sudden for someone who has not been doing any exercise previously. My advice would be to spread it out a bit more over a 4 day period with a rest day on the fifth, e.g. treadmill on days 1 and 3, weights on days 2 and 4, until you are fitter. The reason I say this is because if you have not being doing any exercise previously and you jump straight in and try to do it all at once then you're going to get injured.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    For anyone who is starting out, a fitness plan is better than nothing. And this is a start. Question - are the numbers after the exercise the weight you intend to lift? Because some of them are pretty aggressive (bicep curls, leg curls, leg extensions really stand out to me as being a bit high).

The one thing I would mention is that you would likely reach your strength-training goals a bit faster if you eventually focus on compound exercises with free weights (and not machines). However, many people have had success starting with machines and making the transition from there. So just keep that in mind, and maybe come back to the forums at some point down the road for some advice on making that transition (plan, exercises, days, etc.), or consult a trainer at a gym.

So, I'm not sure what your goals/objectives are, but since you mentioned your current fitness level, I'm going to assume it's to improve fitness. And if you're looking to lose bodyfat, build strength/lean muscle, and things like that, then you can maybe elaborate further.

But I do have a couple of suggestions for you about some minor changes to your plan.

DAY 1
    10 minutes treadmill (warm-up)
    Chest Press*
    Shoulder Press*
    Seated Cable Row or Lat Pulldown (for the back)*
    Tricep Press
    Bicep Curl (if you don't have time, then cut this one out)
    Treadmill (whatever time you have left)

* I would suggest doing a warm-up set for the chest press, shoulder press, and cable row/lat pulldown. It would consist of doing 10 reps at about 1/2 to 2/3 the weight you intend on using.

DAY 2
    Rest?

DAY 3
    10 minutes treadmill (warm-up)
    Bodyweight Box Squat (video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=562ssjC1nV0)
    Leg Press
    Leg Extension
    Leg Curls
    Glute Work
    Treadmill (whatever time you have left)

I put the treadmill at the end so that way you have sufficient energy to get in the resistance-training exercises without risk of fatigue-induced injury. Treadmill at the end will allow you to vary the intensity based on the energy you have remaining after the strength training.

I added an exercise for the back on Day 1 because it's a large muscle group that will aid in your effort to improve fitness and strength. If time doesn't permit for all those exercises, then I would remove bicep curl since you will be hitting that with the back exercise. Maybe sneak in two sets if possible.

I added the bodyweight squat on Day 2 because it will be a nice warm-up to your leg press work, as well as get you comfortable with performing squats, which are one of the best strength training exercises in terms of strengthening your lower body (muscles, tendons, joints, etc.). And there are so many variations of squats that you will find a few in which you will see great progress.

And spacing out the workout might be ideal for you to start out, but eventually, you could probably do these 3-4 times a week. Your DAY 1 can also be your DAY 5, your DAY 2 or 3 can also be your DAY 6 or 7.

I hope this is of some help. Good luck to you!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Perhaps others will disagree with me but that seems a lot of exercise all of a sudden for someone who has not been doing any exercise previously. My advice would be to spread it out a bit more over a 4 day period with a rest day on the fifth, e.g. treadmill on days 1 and 3, weights on days 2 and 4, until you are fitter. The reason I say this is because if you have not being doing any exercise previously and you jump straight in and try to do it all at once then you're going to get injured.

Yeah I agree with this too. I've been exercising regularly since June 2012 and I rarely do cardio and weights on the same day unless I missed a workout and I have to.
  • Cathi888
    Cathi888 Posts: 37 Member
    Thank you so much. I will take your suggestions and use them today.
    My plan was D1, D2, off, D1, D2, off. Constanty rotating this theme. Is there a better format for that?

I have 100 lbs to lose. So, I have a long way to go,

These were the weights that I set on the machines and they seemed to work for me. Maybe I should suck it up and just pay for a session with a trainer to confirm that these numbers are good for me.
  • If you have 100lbs to lose, you should focus on eating clean, healthy foods first and foremost. As far as exercise is try doing 5 days a week with 3 days being resistance or weight training days and 2 days being cardio.

Mon - Chest and Back
    Tues - Cardio
    Wed - Rest
    Thurs - Shoulders and Arms
    Fri - Legs
    Sat - Cardio
    Sun - Rest

As far as specific exercises, try to use free weights (dumbbells) instead of machines. That way, you'll be working more body parts. Example would be doing bicep curls with the machine only works your biceps but you use your core when using free weights since you have to keep it engaged.