How long can a "high sodium day" last?

Options
Hi all! I wound up having a ridiculously high sodium day on Monday (my sweet fellah got a little heavy handed with the salt while cooking dinner). I was miserable that night and the next day (headaches, general blah, water retention). It definitely caused a jump of about 2 pounds on the scale. How long does this usually last for you guys? I still don't feel completely awesome again!

Replies

• mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Drink more water and you'll be fine.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, it will help your body flush out the sodium faster and get you back to feeling awesome a little quicker.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    1-3 days usually for me. Drink lots of water and work up a good sweat the next couple of workouts and you'll feel better soon.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    usually a few days but it also depends on your electrolyte balance and how much water you're drinking. If your electrolytes are really out of whack and you don't drink much water it can take longer.
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 1-4 days. It really all depends on how my body is acting at that time. A good sweat usually helps. I like to drink green ice tea (homemade from 2Q water & 6 tea bags) with a squeeze of lemon, as both are natural diuretics plus they taste really good together.
  • melissalatzel24
    Options
    for me personally, if i eat too much salt 1 day and feel bloated by the time i go to bed, the next day i feel crap but drink 2 litres and eat mainly fruits and veggies to get more liquids... and the day after I'm back to normal again...
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Even drinking a ton of water, it seems like things don't settle in for me till about 3-4 days later after a high sodium intake.
  • FrankieBenjamin
    FrankieBenjamin Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thats been really useful for me too, thanks all. Had a couple of meals out last week - not prepared by me so harder to know whats in them, plus not been drinking enough water / excersising and gained about 2kgs back overnight. Thinking it could be the untrackable (as I didnt prepare the food and had to eyeball) sodium. Drinking H2O like a fish right now ;0)
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    It takes me about 2 days of heavy water consumption to get rid of any form of bloat.
  • kahays
    kahays Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Exactly what I suspected, but it is nice to get some perspective. I'm feeling better this afternoon after bing tortured by Jillian Michaels.

I really appreciate the encouragement I have been receiving!