Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Cold Weather and Painful Breathing

We just got our first cold snap and I want to die! Just Kidding. During exercise the cold weather really really hurts my throat and lungs - does anyone else get the same burning/dry/pain brought on by cold weather? What can you do to prevent/relieve it? Thanks!

Replies

• kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    It does, but I breathe through my nose and out my mouth, so it takes away some of the sting.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    You will get used to it!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    You may need to find a way to exercise indoors. Good luck.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    You will get used to it!

This.

How cold? I live outside of Boston and was out running last night. Must have been in the low 30s/high 20s.

I have friends in Minnesota who run outdoors throughout the winter. You should get used to it over time, just make sure you have the proper gear to keep yourself warm enough.
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Also, use a scarf or balclava to help warm up the air before it gets to your mouth!
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    I live in Nebraska and my only chance to exercise is in the early morning hours. Once it started getting in the 20's/30's I stopped exercising outdoors. I just get too miserable and my face gets chapped. I also can't exercise in my tiny place. So, at the end of this month I'm getting a YMCA membership. I will probably cancel my membership once winter is over and I can go back to being outdoors.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    I have the same issue. I just deal with it. It sucks but I don't really know any other way around it, because I do enjoy my walks.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Just came in from my "power walk" in 36 degrees and windy weather. The first half of the walk was miserably cold; the second half was awesome. Not sure how low in temps this will be the case, but I'm going to experiment with the misery-factor.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    My brother lives in Colorado and runs when it's in the single digits. He wears a gator neck and pulls it up over his nose and mouth.
  • ash012
    ash012 Posts: 34 Member
    Also, use a scarf or balclava to help warm up the air before it gets to your mouth!

This!
  • Sarah77586
    Sarah77586 Posts: 5 Member
    You will get used to it!

This.

How cold? I live outside of Boston and was out running last night. Must have been in the low 30s/high 20s.

I have friends in Minnesota who run outdoors throughout the winter. You should get used to it over time, just make sure you have the proper gear to keep yourself warm enough.

I am in Houston - <insert laugh here> and I am perfectly happy in 100 degree weather with 90% humidity...I consider it "freezing" at anything below 70F. but the pain is usually on cool mornings in the 35-45F.

I think the idea of putting something over my nose/mouth will help a lot!

Thanks for all the wonderful responses!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    When I run in colder temps, it helps to slow down until I am properly warmed up (which takes a little longer), also, a neck warmer helps, but it gets too warm pretty quickly, unless its below 0 C...