Obese & Menopausal-- to-- 1/2 Marathon!

Options
boatsie77
boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
On Sunday (Nov 10, 2013) this 58-year-old, formerly obese, menopausal lady finished her first 1/2 Marathon ever in 2:25:19.

HERE I AM AT 236+POUNDS

PANAMACANALTRIP076_zps32b85555.jpg

NOW AT 146 POUNDS.....SHE STARTS!

MARA1EMAIL_zpscd007b6c.jpg

SHE FINISHES!

MARA2_zps416ae628.jpg

SHE GETS HER MEDAL!!!

MARA3_zps2d078704.jpg

Here's some background on my journey from obese to goal (April 2012 - March 2013) via my "Mud Run 5K" posting--I included a link in that thread to my "Goal Posting" so you can read how I "did it" if you're intersted.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/992718-58-year-old-goddess-completes-1st-5k-mud-run

My sister (mentioned in the "goal" thread) is currently down over 125 pounds (in 15 months!) and returned this year to re-do our VERY FIRST 5K walk-- this year I came in first overall and she came in second overall! Moreover, she also completed a 1/2 marathon this past Sunday too! She completed it in 2:57:21! Walking most of the way due to issues she has with her feet--and she's 60 years old! I'm SO, SO PROUD OF HER...SHOUT OUT TO MARVELMO!!

I signed up for this 1/2 Marathon in July and used a "walking 1/2 marathon" plan I downloaded from About.com. I later incorporated a bit of the walk-run-walk training and received some great tips looking through the MFP boards and blogs. Special shout out to MFPers Jeanmk56 and bw_conway for their great tips and encouragement in the final days leading up to the race.

When I hit "goal weight" and entered maintenance in March 2013, I decided to use participation in 5Ks as my strategy for staying on track with my fitness and nutrition. I try to always be "in training" for an upcoming 5K. In addition to run-walking about 3x a week, I also use weight machines 2x a week and attend a cardio-sculpting class 2x (same day as weight training).

I'm now thinking of entering another 1/2 marathon that takes place in March 2014 (ironically the 1 year anniversary of the day I reached "goal weight"). And my ultimate goal is to do the Disney World Full Marathon in January 2015 to celebrate my 60th birthiday (if my thighs and calves are willing). In January of 2014 I'm thinking of starting a blog on MFP to outline my one-year leading up to my 60th birthday and Marathon training and hope to enlist the help of all the knowledgeable MPFers out there on how to successfully get my tired, wrinkled old body across the finish line in Disney World and live to celebrate my 60th birthday.

At present, I'm still not comfortable doing the "friending-social media thingie" on MFP, but I will certainly answer any questions i receive in my mailbox. And when I get my blog up (when I start and figure it out) I'll respond there too.

In closing, to all my fellow Menopausal Goddesses out there fighting the good fight against obesity, I recommend signing up for a fun 5K walk this holiday season (lots of Turkey Trots & Jingle Jogs) to give you something to train for and help shift your holiday focus from a "sugar & fat fest" season to "fit fest" season. And to all you "youngsters" (under 50s)...a 58 year old lady completed a mud run 5K AND a 1/2 marathon after dropping 90 pounds--what's your excuse??

Best of luck to all the MFPers for a fun and HEALTHY holiday season and thanks for providing me with so much information and inspiration over the past 16 months!

Replies

• enkennon
    enkennon Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    AWESOME JOB!!!! So inspirational. I have started running. I don't go very fast but i do GO lol. I want to do a 1/2 marathon eventually and get a medal of my own. I am going to look up that about.com walking 1/2 marathon training and see what that is about. I just want to FINISH one not necessarily runt one lol..

thanks for your story and congratulations!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Beautiful transformation.

Congratulations!
  • jessizona80
    jessizona80 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Amazing!! What an inspiration you are! I just did my first 5K Saturday and feel great about it, but you are proving it is possible to do so much more when you set your mind to it! I love it!!
  • brittmar25
    brittmar25 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So inspiring! My goal next year is to do a 5K with my runner friends. :)
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    You are looking really good, look at the glow. Congratulations and keep going, it is definitely working.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are an inspiration!
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration you are, you look fabulous and so much younger, fitter and happier. I am 50 and have lost the weight and now run, but not managed a 1/2 marathon yet, but your achievement makes me believe I can!

You should be so proud of your achievement and well done to your sister, too. :drinker:
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You are truly an inspiration. Thank you for sharing.
  • determined2run
    determined2run Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You rock! Great job and what a motivation to get moving. Congratulations and good luck on your future endeavors! :flowerforyou:
  • csaul777
    csaul777 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow - you look fabulous! Thanks for sharing your story - so inspiring!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You're an inspiration!!!
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You have done amazingly well! Congrats on all your progress thus far!!! :)
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You got it going on! congrats for the inspirational post
  • springsmomto3
    springsmomto3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    We need more stories like this! You are proof that it's never too late to start taking care of yourself. I want to look like you in my 50's. Thank you for sharing.....what an inspiration!
  • marvelmo
    marvelmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Here's to you, fit, fabulous goddess:drinker: for your awesome race finish and daily inspiration to me and now all our MFP journey pals. Thank you for showing us it can be done! Looking forward to you Disney blog:smile: Let the magic begin!
  • dawndovell
    dawndovell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Holy moly! Thanks for sharing! Sooooo great!
  • biddie1
    biddie1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    So awesome and inspiring!! :drinker: Congrats on your accomplishments...I have no doubt that this is just the beginning:)
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I'm smiling ear to ear! Congrats on such a monumental accomplishment!! Your transfomation is impressive!
  • melsy21
    melsy21 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You're are one amazing woman!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!