diet busters...

Options
hi all! i've been using mfp since the beginning of this year, and i LUV it! i've never been one to be able to honestly record everything i eat, but this tool is so simple and inclusive. i'm very faithful about signing in and logging everything, but i do have my weak moments! i've lost all the weight that i wanted to lose (and then some!), so i'm now trying to figure out how to maintain - which i'm struggling with. i've been a 'big' person all of my life, but i'm not big any more. i'm the smallest that i have every been, but now a lot of my family and friends are saying that i need to gain some weight back. can you imagine how de-motivating that is to me?! i feel the best that i have ever felt, and i am very fit and healthy for someone who is middle age! but when i visit my parents, we usually end up arguing about food, of all things. my doctor says that i am healthy, so why can't my family just be happy for me?!?! i have started to use those words - 'you don't need to lose any more weight' or 'you are too skinny' - to justify to myself why i should be allowed to have that cinnamon roll or that slice of pizza or ... i don't want to get into that habit again, but it's so easy to get into. does anyone have any words of wisdom that can help me put those thoughts in the right place? i get weak sometimes...

Replies

• Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    ... i feel the best that i have ever felt, and i am very fit and healthy ...

There you go.. don't let them negate all the hard work you have put into being the best you that you can be. When they start, simply say "I appreciate your concern and I understand if you are worried but I have discussed this with my doctor and he/she says I am at a healthy weight for me and I am going to work very hard to stay here. I would feel much better if I knew I had the support of my family on this but if not, I ask that you at least respect my decision and don't try to make me feel bad or get me to fall back into the poor eating habits that made me unhappy before"..
  • hels4397
    hels4397 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    First of all, major Congrats & Kudos to you!! I know where you're coming from with being "big" all your life. I think it's so awesome and inspiring that you made your goal and then some!! :happy:

One thing that I think is an available feature on mfp is ability to maintain. If you go in there and re-set your goals to maybe a difference of 1lb and then set under the category "How much weight do you want to lose a week" to "maintain," and just eat your calories and continue to exercise as you normally would, I think you'll be ok!

Not to mention, it is ok to have a cinnamon roll here and there, or pizza or anything else you feel like having. If you decide to have it, have it because YOU want to, not because someone is egging you on to.

Again, congrats on reaching your goal! You're definitely an inspiration to all of us who are plugging along trying to get there! :flowerforyou:
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    i feel the best that i have ever felt, and i am very fit and healthy

Great job. Just keep telling yourself the part I quoted form your message. Keep up your healthy lifestyle and try not to listen to people say.
  • SharonsJetSet
    Options
    Don't allow anyone to tell you to gain weight. You feel good and you're healthy. It would be easier for you to just smile and disregard their comments.

I don't know you but I'm very proud of your accomplishments and I hope I'll be as disciplined and successful as you are

WTG!!! :flowerforyou:
  • MickeyLeigh
    Options
    i feel the best that i have ever felt, and i am very fit and healthy

Great job. Just keep telling yourself the part I quoted form your message. Keep up your healthy lifestyle and try not to listen to people say.

I agree...keep telling yourself that. You have done an amazing job and I can only hope that I too will be able to have the discipline you have. Way to go!!!!!:drinker:
  • uf353432
    Options
    Give people time to adjust to the new look you. Its very hard when people have always seen you with a certain shaped face or a certain shaped body to accept immediately the new trimmer, streamlined you. You look different - its natural that they want the old you back. Along with a slimmer trimmer body you have also changed in your attitude, thats also going to take some adjusting. Its not to say that this is all a bad thing, but you have changed and in your eyes its for the better. They all need time to get on board - they love you - they just need to find out who you are again. In time they will love you as much if not more than the old you, stay consistant to what you now want from life, from them and from yourself. You have done an amazing job, be really proud of that.