Super Busy...sometimes I lose Count and more

Options
I am looking for tips and tricks from people consider themselves Busy People. Seriously I work a full time job, I have kids, a man, cats, and my own personal pursuits my calendar is pretty much full from the time I wake up until I go to bed at night.

What are some strategies you've employed to stay within your calorie budget? DO you have any tips or tricks to help me?

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I pre plan my day the night before. I portion things out for all my meals, especially what's for dinner, so I'm not just grabbing the first thing I can when it's dinner time, etc.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    When I make dinner I make enough for me to have leftovers for lunch the next couple of days. I pack the lunches up as I am cleaning up for dinner, one less thing to do the next morning. Can even make enough to freeze in several single-serving portions.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Yup, pre-plan your entire day...you know exactly where you stand throughout any given day when you pre-plan it all.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone, download the MFP app so you can calorie count on the go. It even has a nifty scanning capability so you can scan the barcodes of whatever it is you have grabbed to eat.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    it really doesn't take much time out of your day to pre-log your day so that you can stay within your calorie range.. i work full-time, commuting back and forth to the city, attend graduate school on top of having commitments outside of work and school, fitting in exercise, etc. and i still manage just fine.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yup, pre-plan your entire day...you know exactly where you stand throughout any given day when you pre-plan it all.

I resisted pre-planning for a long long time but it really does work. Usually I'll just pre-log dinner then find lunch and snacks to fit (except for today as I have no idea what is for dinner yet).
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Your life doesn't sound any different than anyone else. Like everyone said, plan your food - if you have issues going over, then get in some exercise. Easy peasy - just takes some effort.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Yup. Pre-plan... I also kept sneakers in my car so If my kids were going to soccer practice or something like that I could slip on the sneakers and get some walking in as I was waiting for them. Remember every bit of movement helps. The old theory of having to do 10 to 30 minutes at a time to do any good has been disproven.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I pre plan my day the night before. I portion things out for all my meals, especially what's for dinner, so I'm not just grabbing the first thing I can when it's dinner time, etc.

This! It helps me not make bad choices just because I'm hungry or in a time crunch. I will even plan out my food diary some days ahead of time in case I can't get around to filling it out.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Get rid of whatever junk food (pop, chips, sweets, etc) out of your cupboards and learn what healthy substitutes are acceptable for when you do need something quick on the go. Pre-logging also helps me a lot! I find that I'm far less likely to slip up if I've already logged my snacks and meals.
  • kelseystew
    kelseystew Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone pre planning definitely help. Along with that i take the time every Sunday and write out the full week of meals, then go shopping based on this list. This helps me save money as well as I only buy what I know we are going to eat. I also make extra for dinner and pack taht for lunches the next day, everyday! Also agree with keeping temptations out of the house, I only buy what is on my grocery list, that way I know in advance what I have for snacks. Along with this is taking some time on Sundays (for me) to boil eggs or prep my snacks for the week so they are handy!

This is just what works for me!
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am going to give pre logging a try.