Having To Up My Calorie Intake Is Causing Guilt

Options
Iv read several places that I need to eat way more than 1200-1400 calories per day to loose weight. I actually need to be eating up to 2000 calories per day??!!! consuming more means more i have to burn off... Im having so much trouble letting myself eat that many calories & think im going to loose weight.

If im eating 2000 calories and working out & burning 600 calories a day that just seems like i will never loose anything. I dont know if anyone else has ever had the problem getting passed consuming more to loose weight but this is a struggle for me. Im new to this whole lifestyle change iv ate crappily my whole life pretty much so learning to reprogram my non existent metabolism is a slow process & im trying to learn all i possibly can.

Replies

• bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    If you exercise and burn 600 calories (not sure what you're doing to burn that much), then you eat 1400 calories, you're NETTING 800 calories. If eating all of your exercise calories back makes you uncomfortable, try eating half back. I'm not sure what you weigh or anything, but you don't have to burn off every single thing you eat to lose weight. Your body needs fuel.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Iv read several places that I need to eat way more than 1200-1400 calories per day to loose weight. I actually need to be eating up to 2000 calories per day??!!! consuming more means more i have to burn off... Im having so much trouble letting myself eat that many calories & think im going to loose weight.

If im eating 2000 calories and working out & burning 600 calories a day that just seems like i will never loose anything. I dont know if anyone else has ever had the problem getting passed consuming more to loose weight but this is a struggle for me. Im new to this whole lifestyle change iv ate crappily my whole life pretty much so learning to reprogram my non existent metabolism is a slow process & im trying to learn all i possibly can.

You say 2000 calories day, did you actually calculate your BMR/TDEE or are you just guessing? If you feel guilty, you shouldn't, feel glad that you actually get to eat more :) Just make sure you're calculating your workouts as acurately as possible and eating some of those calories back. The essential point is to lose weight in a healthy way.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Iv read several places that I need to eat way more than 1200-1400 calories per day to loose weight.

Well that's not correct, for starters.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need to up your calories to 2,000? If you aren't losing on 1400 you probably are miscalculating something and raising your calories more isn't going to correct that.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You should never feel guilty for properly fueling your body.

With that said - calculate your TDEE to be sure what you actually need. Be sure you are not overestimating your workout burns.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Ah, and the misinformation train just keeps on running.

If eating 2,000 calories a day resulted in weight loss, how do people gain weight? And wouldn't all starvation victims be fat? I mean, they must REALLY be in "starvation mode" if they're ACTUALLY STARVING.

Use some common sense people.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    And wouldn't all starvation victims be fat?

I feel like I've just walked into the restaurant at the end of the universe...

:laugh:

Nicely put.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Okay, looking at your profile, you are a substantial woman, like myself. If I am honest with myself about what I'm eating, I do lose weight at 2000 calories a day (especially if I make sure they're mostly from good, real foods). MFP puts me at 1800 a day, and it's not hard to pick up 200 calories of exercise. It may not be as dramatic as you'd like, but it's a healthy, sustainable way to lose weight. Patience!

Sure, further down the road, I will stop losing weight eating 2000 calories a day, but that's a ways off yet. And, when I get there, I will probably be more physically able to increase my exercise if I do want to keep eating 2000 calories.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need to up your calories to 2,000? If you aren't losing on 1400 you probably are miscalculating something and raising your calories more isn't going to correct that.

Good point. If you aren't losing at 1200-1400, something is off in your measurements. All you need is a deficit in your calories to lose weight. Starvation mode is a total myth so if that's why you're upping your calories, ignore everything you've ever heard about starvation mode. For me, I lowered my weekly weight loss goal to 1 lb per week because 1200 calories is too hard for me to adhere to. But that isn't the only way to do it.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Guilt is a bad thing when trying to change your life. If you put in all your numbers and MFP says 2000, be happy. I would kill for 2000 calories a day. Trust MFP. If not, research TDEE.
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much you weigh or how tall you are. everyone is different. for me, I was trying the 1200 and I had such a hard time staying within that range I'd just get frustrated and say whatever with it. Recently I bought a fitbit and realized on days I actually exercise (around 30 minutes of moderate cardio or 1 hour of weight training)...I burn between 1900 and 2100 calories. I have only had it about 2 weeks so I don't know how much I burn on a lazy day yet. I am 4'10 and weight 135. my fitbit has been telling me to eat around 1400 -1600 calories a day based on how active I am (or how many calories it expects me to burn based on how active I am). This has been a real eye opener. Basically - it is telling my TDEE for 3-5 days of exercise less 500 calories (I looked that up too on my fitness frog considering so many people suggest that). I try to plan for 1400 calories a day and if I know I'm going to be more active, I can sneak in something else too. Also, I know there will be days I go over and some days I'll be under so I try to keep it averaged out over the course of the week.

Do you have any sort of tool that could show you how much you actually burn in a 24 hour period like a fitbit, bodybugg, body media, heart rate monitor,etc? any one of them might be a really nice tool to invest in to help you figure out how many calories you actually should be consuming.

Where did you come up with that you are supposed to be eating 2000 calories a day? If that is actually the case and you should be eating that much, make sure to still make healthy options....not just eat a big cheeseburger because it fits in your calories. (as tempting as it may be :))
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Make sure you put in your exercise accurately, also make sure you use the 20% deficit for weight loss & what I have been told are the best macros are 40 carbs, 30 protein & 30 fat and go from what those #'s tell you.
    If you need help message me & I'll help you.

Since on this Tdee method you add your exercise into the equasion, that means you do NOT eat back exercise calories..That is why you see me log mine as a 1.

Use this website (very popular)

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • ThirdEyeOpen
    Options
    I don't know how much you weigh or how tall you are. everyone is different. for me, I was trying the 1200 and I had such a hard time staying within that range I'd just get frustrated and say whatever with it. Recently I bought a fitbit and realized on days I actually exercise (around 30 minutes of moderate cardio or 1 hour of weight training)...I burn between 1900 and 2100 calories. I have only had it about 2 weeks so I don't know how much I burn on a lazy day yet. I am 4'10 and weight 135. my fitbit has been telling me to eat around 1400 -1600 calories a day based on how active I am (or how many calories it expects me to burn based on how active I am). This has been a real eye opener. Basically - it is telling my TDEE for 3-5 days of exercise less 500 calories (I looked that up too on my fitness frog considering so many people suggest that). I try to plan for 1400 calories a day and if I know I'm going to be more active, I can sneak in something else too. Also, I know there will be days I go over and some days I'll be under so I try to keep it averaged out over the course of the week.

Do you have any sort of tool that could show you how much you actually burn in a 24 hour period like a fitbit, bodybugg, body media, heart rate monitor,etc? any one of them might be a really nice tool to invest in to help you figure out how many calories you actually should be consuming.

Where did you come up with that you are supposed to be eating 2000 calories a day? If that is actually the case and you should be eating that much, make sure to still make healthy options....not just eat a big cheeseburger because it fits in your calories. (as tempting as it may be :))

OOOOOO i totally need to invest in a fitbit! cuz i always walk on my lunch break and try to park as far away as possible anywhere i go so i have to walk further. So i think tracking that way would definetly put things in perspective for me.

I normally will do an hour on the ellypitcal and burn up to 600 calories depending how hard i go at it. but thanks girl for the advice and that goes for everyone as well. good or bad advice i appreciate it all! ♥
  • ThirdEyeOpen
    Options
    Make sure you put in your exercise accurately, also make sure you use the 20% deficit for weight loss & what I have been told are the best macros are 40 carbs, 30 protein & 30 fat and go from what those #'s tell you.
    If you need help message me & I'll help you.

Since on this Tdee method you add your exercise into the equasion, that means you do NOT eat back exercise calories..That is why you see me log mine as a 1.

Use this website (very popular)

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Yesssss! that scooby website is how i was getting my TDEE and the advice to consume almost 2000 calories. i think it ended up saying like 1800 for me and i was like WHOAH!!! but i guess it make sense. i have to start high when im heavy and the more weight i loose the less calories i intake. if i start @ 1200 theres really no where for me to go when i loose weight.

ya i definietly try NOT to eat my exercise back so im going to try and snack a little more in between meals with protein & pay attention to CALORIES FROM FAT so i know what i will burn off naturally
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options

OOOOOO i totally need to invest in a fitbit! cuz i always walk on my lunch break and try to park as far away as possible anywhere i go so i have to walk further. So i think tracking that way would definetly put things in perspective for me.

I normally will do an hour on the ellypitcal and burn up to 600 calories depending how hard i go at it. but thanks girl for the advice and that goes for everyone as well. good or bad advice i appreciate it all!

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider "bad" advice? :huh:
  • ThirdEyeOpen
    Options

I normally will do an hour on the ellypitcal and burn up to 600 calories depending how hard i go at it. but thanks girl for the advice and that goes for everyone as well. good or bad advice i appreciate it all!

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider "bad" advice? :huh:

im saying in general...not EVERY single thing that is said is going to be the best advice to apply to myself....i take bits and pieces from everyone & apply it to my situation. Im happy to hear it all.