What is a meat that doesn't need a lot of salt/seasoning?

Options
124»

Replies

• Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    What is a meat that doesn't need a lot of salt/seasoning?

You don't necessarily have to use salt for seasoning. Different herbs go with different meats (such as sage for poultry). Try experimenting with different herbs or different ways of cooking the meat.

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/search-results.html?searchTerm=seasonings
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonings
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    maybe I'm weird but I like to eat most kinds of meat without seasoning, and I don't find them flavourless. Even chicken breast, which doesn't have much flavour, I can still enjoy eating it without seasoning.

This. I usually just use a little pepper and a little chilli on chicken
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    bologna
    Mmmm. Beef bologna.
    Spam?...........kidding.........maybe...........
    Yuck. And, that's the saltiest crap I've ever tasted. Maybe that's why you were kidding?

I have been trying different spices that contain salt. I didn't realize that they were actually much lower in sodium, like 65mg. I also didn't realize how much 1/4 of a tsp really was (more than I need for my food), so this shouldn't be a problem anymore. Picturing my relatives cook, they just use to sprinkle the salt out of the container, so I thought that they would use tons of salt (probably did).

I also can stand the Lite Morton's salt. It's 1/2 the sodium. The salt-free version is disgusting, though. It almost tastes too salty.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    Options

Someone is kidding--Spam is just about the saltiest stuff there is, other than ocean water.

A family member gets this stuff that's like sushi, but it's made with Spam. Rice, nori (seaweed), and Spam. Way too salty to eat.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

Someone is kidding--Spam is just about the saltiest stuff there is, other than ocean water.

A family member gets this stuff that's like sushi, but it's made with Spam. Rice, nori (seaweed), and Spam. Way too salty to eat.

#Random. I researched that for work. Hawaiians are the largest Spam consumers. One of their dishes is a sushi-like entree that's made with Spam, pretty much what you described. :sick:
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Mmm any if you get it up to at least 350 degrees and brown it. Browning brings out the flavor of any meat. See if other spices work for you as well. I put hot sauce on nearly everything myself :)
  • laura0770
    laura0770 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    rib-eye steak
    This
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I guess all meat needs some sort of seasoning. A good cut of beef usually can go without but other than that I pretty much use herbs, chilli and various other spices to season all my meat.
  • nickijhughes
    Options
    fresh herbs are your friend! mince fresh ginger, garlic and rub it on chicken or pork, let it marinate a few hours....yummy.Rosemary, thyme, fennel all delicious with above mentioned meats. Steak,with just a garluc rub and then fry up some red onion and mushrooms. i always buy good cuts of meat (.when i eat ut) and as long as you dont overcook it ut will have lits of flavor
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I use herbs/spices, without salt and it turns out just as good. I don't like meat without some type of seasoning, at least garlic and pepper! Just try experimenting with some that work for you.

Mrs. Dash makes a salt substitute that is just a combination of various herbs and spices.. I don't use it, but I've heard it's pretty good.