too self conscious for heavy lifting

Options

Replies

• Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Just go in there and do it. That's it.
    You might find it awkward the first few times, then you'll feel like you belong.
    The "big guys" are just people. Like people, some are really nice, some are jerks. You can't let that stop you.

If there is some equipment you need to use, and someone else is using it, it's okay to ask how many sets they have left (when they are in-between sets) and even ask if they can let you know when they're done, so you can go next.
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    want to read the advice later.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Excuse the spelling and language.

On top of what everyone else has said: There comes a day in your life when you need to just take a deep breath and say "F every one of you mo fos. I'm doing my sht and if you get in my way I will walk all over your godamned face btch"

I think it's that day.
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I started off by working out the time of day the gym is at it's quietest - which is around 8.15-9.15. The early morning crowd are heading for work and the parents that have to drop their kids off haven't arrived yet -so it's peaceful. This gave me some time to build my confidence, work on my form and feel comfortable being in the free weights area.

Now I use it like I own it! I don't care what time of day it is, who is there and what they are doing. I am there to do what I need to do and get the hell out of there! As for the big boys, they don't care what I am doing either, cos they are too busy doing their own thing so they too can get the hell outta there!

I have been using that gym on and off in the mornings for the past 6 years and have spoken and got to know (as much as you do in the gym) more people in the last 6 months than I have in the whole time I was there!

The guys have been friendly, they have helped me out with moving weights around and they have offered to spot me! I have even wondered on the odd occasion if I am being checked out.......but I reckon they just want to copy my form!! :wink:

Go for it, you won't regret it!!
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Options
    This is less of a question and more wanting to get feedback from both guys and gals.

I have been exercising regularly for over 2 years and probably plateaued about a year ago. I've varied my workouts from a lot of cardio (jogging), yoga of all types, to light weight training. NOTHING gave me the results I liked as fast as I wanted better than light weight lifting (and maintaining my diet).

Now I belong to a gym that is always crowded and has a ton of bigger guys that need the weight section. There is only a small section for free weights and it is always crowded. I've always wanted to really get into heavy lifting but I am so self conscious and nervous about going over there and trying to find room and trying to not make a fool of myself. I want to just let go of these worries but it has kept me from starting it every day. My boyfriend goes to the same gym and can help me and everything but I just get worried/awkward about finding room and going through with these exercises.

Does anyone else have this problem? How did you get past it? And guys, how do you really feel about the small girl pushing her way in with the guys?

A few years ago I used to go to a really `heavy male populated` gym and I felt exactly like you have been feeling. (My hubby trained there also) You know what I did.. I spoke to the owner and told him that he could increase his revenue if he made an area that was more female friendly. They guy (owner) took it on board and set times of the day that were women exclusive. He has since opened another gym (knocked thru to the other place) Albeit, one is cardio equipment and the original one is weights, but he has a greater turnout of males/females.

Other than that just get in there and do your thing x

Yaaay equality.
    Let's not work out around men, god forbid they see us sweat.
    Penises are incredibly intimidating, I need those as far away from me as possible when I tone my muscles.

If someone directed you to the "women's side" of a restaurant, movie theater, or anything else, it would be sexist. Somehow, with gyms is okay.
    We can't pick and choose "equality" ladies.
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Excuse the spelling and language.

On top of what everyone else has said: There comes a day in your life when you need to just take a deep breath and say "F every one of you mo fos. I'm doing my sht and if you get in my way I will walk all over your godamned face btch"

I think it's that day.

Love this!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    1. Familiarize yourself with the equipment and what lifts you're going to perform through videos on Youtube and other online resources.

2. Have a routine/plan before going to the gym.

3. Walk in there and act like you belong (because you do). Get to your workout and focus on that instead of people around you.

4. If someone is using something you need, the usual way to show you need to use it too is to ask them when they are resting "how many sets do you have left?" or "how much longer are you going to be?" I wouldn't ask to work in with someone until you're comfortable enough just working out on a piece of equipment by yourself.

All of this.

At first I felt self-conscious. Now I walk in like I own the place. I'm on friendly terms with the other regular lifters. It just takes some time, and the guts to get started.
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am terrified to go into the weight section. I went once and only for like 15 minutes. I usually use the weight machines, but i know its not the same. I feel pathetic. I bought NROLFW and I'd like to start it. I wish I had another female to go with me, but not that lucky lol

Once I finish insanity, I'm going to try.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This is less of a question and more wanting to get feedback from both guys and gals.

I have been exercising regularly for over 2 years and probably plateaued about a year ago. I've varied my workouts from a lot of cardio (jogging), yoga of all types, to light weight training. NOTHING gave me the results I liked as fast as I wanted better than light weight lifting (and maintaining my diet).

Now I belong to a gym that is always crowded and has a ton of bigger guys that need the weight section. There is only a small section for free weights and it is always crowded. I've always wanted to really get into heavy lifting but I am so self conscious and nervous about going over there and trying to find room and trying to not make a fool of myself. I want to just let go of these worries but it has kept me from starting it every day. My boyfriend goes to the same gym and can help me and everything but I just get worried/awkward about finding room and going through with these exercises.

Does anyone else have this problem? How did you get past it? And guys, how do you really feel about the small girl pushing her way in with the guys?

A few years ago I used to go to a really `heavy male populated` gym and I felt exactly like you have been feeling. (My hubby trained there also) You know what I did.. I spoke to the owner and told him that he could increase his revenue if he made an area that was more female friendly. They guy (owner) took it on board and set times of the day that were women exclusive. He has since opened another gym (knocked thru to the other place) Albeit, one is cardio equipment and the original one is weights, but he has a greater turnout of males/females.

Other than that just get in there and do your thing x

I have to say I kind of hate the idea of having women's only times, days, or sections. It would make me feel much less welcome in the gym.

I've never heard of this idea until today and it's come up in at least two threads.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

I have been using that gym on and off in the mornings for the past 6 years and have spoken and got to know (as much as you do in the gym) more people in the last 6 months than I have in the whole time I was there!

The guys have been friendly, they have helped me out with moving weights around and they have offered to spot me! I have even wondered on the odd occasion if I am being checked out.......but I reckon they just want to copy my form!! :wink:

Go for it, you won't regret it!!

I've only been going to my gym for about 2 years, but probably 6 staff members know me by name. About the same number of regulars know me by name too. I have been known to walk up to someone having issues on a machine, and help them when staff is not available.

I definitely have had some times where I thought I might be getting checked out, and it makes me smile ALL day long.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I am terrified to go into the weight section. I went once and only for like 15 minutes. I usually use the weight machines, but i know its not the same. I feel pathetic. I bought NROLFW and I'd like to start it. I wish I had another female to go with me, but not that lucky lol

Once I finish insanity, I'm going to try.

If you have the money, pay for a few sessions with a trainer. I did, and it gave me SOOO much confidence.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    1. Familiarize yourself with the equipment and what lifts you're going to perform through videos on Youtube and other online resources.

2. Have a routine/plan before going to the gym.

3. Walk in there and act like you belong (because you do). Get to your workout and focus on that instead of people around you.

4. If someone is using something you need, the usual way to show you need to use it too is to ask them when they are resting "how many sets do you have left?" or "how much longer are you going to be?" I wouldn't ask to work in with someone until you're comfortable enough just working out on a piece of equipment by yourself.

Perfect answer.

I would also like to add that this issue isn't because you are a woman. There are many men that would be intimidated as well. When I first started I was nervous that I would look like an *kitten* and that I wouldn't be welcome. After throwing around weights a few times, that nervousness went away and walked in like I owned the place.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I will add that I have more respect for people that lift weights they can handle with good form and range of motion than I do for people that lift heavy with poor form and poor range of motion. Others may or may not feel the same way.
  • Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the great advice. Thanks y'all! :flowerforyou:
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I was in your shoes a few months ago. Really wanting to lift, but not sure how. I spoke to the personal trainers at the gym, and selected one that didnt think it was crazy for an older and obese woman to be wanting to lift weights. For about a month I wouldnt go in there alone... I felt too self-conscious, and unsure of my form to feel like I should be in there.... but one night it was really quiet in the weight room, so I went in there, and I've been going in there on my gym nights ever since.

Good luck
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    Bumping to save and check back later.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    It was scary for me at first too. I spent the first time watching what people were doing from the treadmill.

The next day I went over to an empty rack and asked a guy standing near by if he would show me how to set it up.

He was happy to teach me and I've not looked back!

You just have to get started.

Great luck!!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You get comfortable doing it by doing it.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Oh you!!
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Options

That's what he said.
    And yet, it still hurts.