slow learner here

Options
I have been trying and failing at figuring my calories out. I went to scoobies tdee calculator as someone suggested that as a good site. I put in 23 yr old female, 64 inches, 146 lbs, light activity as I do go to school and work part time as a server. I also run 4 days a week, but I would assume I eat back those calories. My tdee according to that site and several others is about 1400 or so. Myfitnesspal currently has me set at 1370 or so, so I should, according to these calculators, eat about 1400? I was set at 1570 but someone said I wasn't creating enough of a deficit.

Replies

• Cristlefir
    Cristlefir Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm about your height and a bit heavier (5'4", 155lbs) and I set myself to 1350 calories. Everyone is different but this has always worked for me. Sometimes I eat up to 1400 or eat 1300. I find this area is the right spot for me.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You don't have a whole lot to lose so if you do go with the TDEE method, a deficit of 15% would be more appropriate for you. Also, TDEE should include your running calories so that probably puts you more at 3-5 hours per week (moderate). All that given, your daily calories should be 1945. In this case your exercise calories are already included so you don't eat them back. When you track, change the earned calories to 1 (you can try zero but I don't think MFP accepts it)

Or if you decide to stick with the MFP method, make sure your weekly weight loss goal is set to 1/2 a pound per week, 1 pound at the very most. And eat back earned exercise calories.

If you're not seeing losses, it could be for several other reasons. Are you weighing and measuring your food to make sure your logging is accurate? Do you log consistently or skip days frequently?

Have you just started running or increased activity in other ways? If so, you could be dealing with a little water weight. Anytime you start a new exericse or increase the intensity (faster, farther, more weight, etc), your muscle fibers will retain both water and glycogen to help with the healing of microtears.

Are you tracking sodium? Where are you at in your cycle? These too can contribute to water retention.

I'd also recommend taking progrses pics and body measurements monthly, and paying attention to how your clothes are fitting. The scale isn't always the best measure of success, especially with less to lose.

Not sure who told you to increase your deficit...they don't know what they're talking about.
  • MinnieInMaine
    Options
    P.S. Took a quick peak at your diary and have to ask because I've never seen this before... Why do you log things at zero servings?
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If your runs/workouts are a part of your normal weekly activity, then you should include that in your activity level when calculating your calorie needs.
    If your workouts are more sporadic and unpredictable, you can calculate your activity without taking extra exercise into account, but if you choose to do it that way, you should eat back your exercise calories.
  • RachelGrace1
    RachelGrace1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    P.S. Took a quick peak at your diary and have to ask because I've never seen this before... Why do you log things at zero servings?
    my diary is a mess right now. If its zero its cuz I tracked it but then didn't eat it, or I put it on the wrong day.
  • RachelGrace1
    RachelGrace1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am doing lightly active then eating back exercise calories, which I track using a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. So 1390 is my goal here, does that sound right? I am struggling with water, so water retention could be a problem
  • MinnieInMaine
    Options
    my diary is a mess right now. If its zero its cuz I tracked it but then didn't eat it, or I put it on the wrong day.

It's your diary so do what you like but FYI, you can just delete those if you want to. Not sure what it looks like on the APP if that's what you use but on the website there's a little red dot thingy to the right of the macro info for each lsting - click on that to remove.

As far as your calorie goal goes - Sure, 1390 sounds reasonable. It's a tiny bit on the low side still but you're within 100 calories of BMR (1477) so probably ok. Just keep in mind that if you still aren't having any luck you may need to bump up your calories a bit more. And make sure you're eating back most/all of your earned calories.