I need a healthy barbecue pork rib recipe please!!!

Options
Godblessedmom
Godblessedmom Posts: 27 Member
I am so hungry for juicy and messy barbecue ribs. I bought the meat, but need a healthy and good way to prepare them. If I use my slow cooker, they end up very moist and fall off the bone, but the sauce is to thin. It is to cold to grill outside. (I live in SD.) I would love any suggestions or recipes. Thanks!

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You need a smoker.
  • BigSnicka
    BigSnicka Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Remove the pork
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Cook them in the slow cooker then finish them in the oven with thicker sauce.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Healthy? As in, low calorie? :laugh: Good luck with that, lol. You can't compromise on good barbecue.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Use antibiotic free pork and chemical free bbq sauce
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    I'm sincerely not trying to be snarky because pork ribs are lovely and should be consumed! BUT, they are not healthy if one is looking for a low calorie or low fat food. I would argue that they are worth the splurge, but the fact is that they are very fatty pieces of meat.

That being said, I agree with the smoker suggestion. So good!
  • dcaiani
    dcaiani Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    No kidding ... just chew on the bones I guess. There's a reason that everyone on BBQ Pitmasters is rather large! lol

If you've got the craving, just go for it. You're allowed to splurge once in a while. Just make sure your other meals for the day are low cal
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Fit them into your macros and you don't have to worry about it.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Switch to a dry rub instead of a sauce. That drastically cuts down on calories if you're careful not to add too much sugar to the rub. My personal favorite is a Memphis rub.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/bbqsaucemarinade/r/bl30418a.htm
  • HRCephei36
    Options
    Remove the pork

Hahahaha.....exactly what I was thinking. Why eat pork ribs if they're healthy?
  • minimalistmom
    Options
    We use a bbq recipe that comes out of the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook or if we buy it, we buy Stubb's bbq sauce because it's all natural.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Healthy? As in, low calorie? :laugh: Good luck with that, lol. You can't compromise on good barbecue.

Quoted for truth.

You could cut off the fat, but then you'll still be left wanting.
  • kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I do chicken legs like this, but try with ribs.
    Dry rub; salt, black pepper, paprika, chili powder, onion powder, thyme, garlic. Or use an already made bbq seasoning.
    Put 1 cup of chicken broth in slow cooker. 1 bag frozen California Blend Veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)
    Crumple balls of foil over veggies and put rubbed, seared ribs on top.

Before I had to watch blood sugar I did potatoes instead of veggies.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Switch to a dry rub instead of a sauce. That drastically cuts down on calories if you're careful not to add too much sugar to the rub. My personal favorite is a Memphis rub.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/bbqsaucemarinade/r/bl30418a.htm

^Great rub.

Pork ribs are going to be high calorie b/c they have so much fat, but you can have your cheat meals now and then. You can significantly reduce the calories by not saucing the ribs.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Cook them in the slow cooker then finish them in the oven with thicker sauce.

+1

Or finish them off in the oven with Wicker's BBQ sauce. No sugar. Thin, but no sugar.
  • Godblessedmom
    Godblessedmom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. I know it is a splurge, but thought it would still be healthier than going out to eat for them. I probably would all of my calories in one meal at Famous Dave's. Again, thanks so much!!!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Use antibiotic free pork and chemical free bbq sauce

Chemical free bbq sauce? Is it made of vacuum?