How long can you PLANK for?

Options

Replies

• RonW956
    RonW956 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I do 3 sets of 2 minute planks with 1 min rest in between daily, my personal best last time I tried was 4 min 17 secs.

Look up George Hood on you tube.... world record plank holder @ 3+ hrs
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    The longest I've held is just over 2 minutes, that was earlier this year.

I do side planks with dips (touch hip down to floor and back up), and high planks as well. I do some form of plank several times a week.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I just successfully completed 3 sets of 90 seconds each 2 days ago. I tack this on the end of my Stronglifts Workout A.

Next Workout A I will be attempting 3 sets of 105 seconds (1 minute 45 seconds). It's killer, and I LOVE how I feel when I do them!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    15 seconds on my forearms with my feet touching. I need to work on increasing the duration.
  • BumbleBean86
    BumbleBean86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Im currently on 240secs with 5 second breather at half way. I SUCK at side plank. I have dodgy shoulders so plank is a real challenge for me. I do it every day and have a rest day every 7 days. It give me something to look forward to!

Plank is soool boring its like mental endurance as well as physical. I put my phone between my elbows and watch a film or do that with a book :-)
  • paullynch1
    paullynch1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did the 5 minute plank challenge in May. Since then I do a 4 minute plank at every gym session which is about 3 times a week. I do it midway during a 2.5 hour training session so I have not tried going over the 4 minutes again but I am sure I could if I tried it on a non-gym day. I have to have two motivational songs playing when I do it.

I try and keep good form and make sure it's my abs doing the work.
  • karencercone1
    karencercone1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a Love/Hate relationship with planking. I love the results- and like the challenge of Up/Down planks, but hate doing them! I can only last for about 2 min on a great day! Great exercise though.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I do a couple 4 minute planks a day.
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I can plank for 5 minutes.... When I first started, I could barely hold out for 10 seconds....
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    my record is 7 minutes...straight arm plank.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I planked for five minutes once.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I am limited my how long I can hold my breath because I can't breathe while in a plank position.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    For me, when working abs...
    I do standard plank 90 seconds, roll to side plank 30 sec, roll to other side 30 sec, back to standard plank 60 seconds.
    rest, then repeat 2 or 3 more times.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I do standard plank 90 seconds, roll to side plank 30 sec, roll to other side 30 sec, back to standard plank 60 seconds.
    I do this (or similar) as well: 90 sec. standard plank, 60 sec. on each side and I do 3 sets of those each workout. I love them (well, the effects of them) because that's all I have to do to work my core. I do not do any crunches.
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I can hold the plank form for a 1-2 minutes but I rarely do it at this point. It's just not something I can do after I've had anything to eat or drink; I put it in the same category as yoga; gotta do it on an empty stomach.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I do this (or similar) as well: 90 sec. standard plank, 60 sec. on each side and I do 3 sets of those each workout. I love them (well, the effects of them) because that's all I have to do to work my core. I do not do any crunches.

also do 3 - 4 sets of L-sits....
    about 30 sec....sometimes on a good day 45 seconds....working to 60 seconds
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    While one might build initial strength when starting planking, being able to hold a plank for a long time works more on MUSCLE ENDURANCE and not strength. One could plank for 5 minutes, but suck badly at doing hanging leg lifts or any other exercise that involves using core for resistance training (such as squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, etc.)
    Not downplaying that planks aren't useful, just saying that if the goal is increasing core STRENGTH, then do strength training exercise rather than endurance training exercises.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TeamKovacs
    TeamKovacs Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    About a minute, but it's never the easiest task to hold that long.
  • jal92475
    jal92475 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yikes, there's some serious plankers on here. I started at 2 sets of 20 about a month ago and I am now at 2 sets of 30. I'm proud of my progress. It's taking time but I'm getting better!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    While one might build initial strength when starting planking, being able to hold a plank for a long time works more on MUSCLE ENDURANCE and not strength. One could plank for 5 minutes, but suck badly at doing hanging leg lifts or any other exercise that involves using core for resistance training (such as squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, etc.)
    Not downplaying that planks aren't useful, just saying that if the goal is increasing core STRENGTH, then do strength training exercise rather than endurance training exercises.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Pretty much this. Once you get to a point where you can hold a plank for about a minute, you're not really accomplishing anything at all by continuing to do it for longer duration other than training endurance--and being very inefficient about how you go about it in the process. If you want to continue to strengthen it beyond that point, you have to do exercises that are so difficult you hit muscle fatigue in only a few reps. And as you continue to grow stronger, you have to keep on focusing on exercises that are so difficult you can never exceed that rep range.