Need help modifying a favourite Christmas Recipe

Options
stb1234
stb1234 Posts: 23 Member
Every year my mum makes these Cranberry stuffing balls wrapped in prosciutto (see link below)

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/18495/cranberry+stuffing+balls

They are my dead set favorite food ever....like ever. I remember when I was completing my final high school exams they were my 'last meal', it didn't even matter Christmas was months away.

The problem is, I OD on these things. I can't just eat one.... I must eat 10... the whole batch it others didn't pinch some first. I usually have insanely good self control, I'm just not sure how I will resist these.

So my challenge to you, is to help me improve their nutrition. What are some good alternatives to bread crumbs and prosciutto? etc

Any help appreciated as I'm not gifted in the kitchen! :D

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Every year my mum makes these Cranberry stuffing balls wrapped in prosciutto (see link below)

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/18495/cranberry+stuffing+balls

They are my dead set favorite food ever....like ever. I remember when I was completing my final high school exams they were my 'last meal', it didn't even matter Christmas was months away.

The problem is, I OD on these things. I can't just eat one.... I must eat 10... the whole batch it others didn't pinch some first. I usually have insanely good self control, I'm just not sure how I will resist these.

So my challenge to you, is to help me improve their nutrition. What are some good alternatives to bread crumbs and prosciutto? etc

Any help appreciated as I'm not gifted in the kitchen! :D

There really isn't going to be a solid sub for either of them, that would have vastly lower cals or whatever. Your best bet is shape them into smaller balls, less cals per and just don't go too nuts eating them
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    omg...omg! I gotta make these...

I'd suggest replacing the white bread crumbs with whole wheat bread, or maybe something like a rice cake.
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Overall, that recipe uses very healthy ingredients. On the holiday you should just enjoy it.

If you really want to substitute something to reduce calories, you could make these changes:
    -Substitute non-stick cooking spray for Olive Oil
    -Use whole wheat bread crumbs instead of white bread crumbs (or your favorite unsweetened cereal)
    -Substitute applesauce for the butter (would give a sweeter flavor, but would probably work with the cranberries)

It looks like a great recipe. Don't even think about substituting the prosciutto, it would ruin the whole thing.

Enjoy!