Weightlifting for children

Options
So the other day I was watching a video of Sarauk2sf deadlift 325lbs for a state record. I called my wife over to watch and of course my girls (3 and 7) came over also. They were all excited about how strong she was and the girls proceeded to go get the dumbbells we have and start showing us how strong they were. LOL Pretty awesome.

Made me start wondering if it was bad for young children to lift weights so I started trying to find what I could about it.

Saw this video of an 12 year old boy http://youtu.be/XGmCn_Q7l84?t=5m19s

And in the same video a 8 year old girl deadlifting. http://youtu.be/XGmCn_Q7l84?t=9m14s

I dont think my girls would be interested in powerlifting but still good to know if weights or other strength training interests them that they can take it up.

It seems, from the couple of studies that I have read so far, that it is fine. I thought would share for those that are interested.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11019731
Strength training for children and adolescents.
Faigenbaum AD.
Source
Department of Human Performance and Fitness, University of Massachusetts, Boston, USA. avery.faigenbaum@umb.edu
Abstract
The potential benefits of youth strength training extend beyond an increase in muscular strength and may include favorable changes in selected health- and fitness-related measures. If appropriate training guidelines are followed, regular participation in a youth strength-training program has the potential to increase bone mineral density, improve motor performance skills, enhance sports performance, and better prepare our young athletes for the demands of practice and competition. Despite earlier concerns regarding the safety and efficacy of youth strength training, current public health objectives now aim to increase the number of boys and girls age 6 and older who regularly participate in physical activities that enhance and maintain muscular fitness. Parents, teachers, coaches, and healthcare providers should realize that youth strength training is a specialized method of conditioning that can offer enormous benefit but at the same time can result in serious injury if established guidelines are not followed. With qualified instruction, competent supervision, and an appropriate progression of the volume and intensity of training, children and adolescents cannot only learn advanced strength training exercises but can feel good about their performances, and have fun. Additional clinical trails involving children and adolescents are needed to further explore the acute and chronic effects of strength training on a variety of anatomical, physiological, and psychological parameters.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2216562
Strength training in children and adolescents.
Webb DR.
Source
Center for Sports Medicine, Saint Francis Memorial Hospital, San Francisco, California.
Abstract
Strength is the ability to exert muscular force against resistance. It is a fundamental requirement of most daily physical activities of children and of adults. Strength training is the use of progressive resistance exercise methods specifically to increase strength. Strength training for children and adolescents is not without risk. Proven medical concerns relate to back, shoulder, and other joint injuries and to hypertension and related diseases. However, the rate of injury is probably rather low, comparable to many youthful activities that are considered safe. Also, the incidence and severity of injury can probably be minimized by adherence to the guidelines presented. Children may be expected to become stronger with appropriate training. Increased strength can enhance their performance in those athletic activities in which strength, power, or speed are required. It may reduce the incidence and severity of overuse injury in sport. However, it cannot reasonably be expected to protect against serious, acute injury in sport.

https://jaaos.org/content/9/1/29.abstract
Strength Training for Children and Adolescents
Jeffrey A. Guy, MD and Lyle J. Micheli, MD
+ Author Affiliations

Dr. Guy is Fellow in Sportsmedicine, Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston, Mass. Dr. Micheli is Director, Division of Sports Medicine, Boston Children’s Hospital; and Associate Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Boston.
Reprint requests: Dr. Micheli, Boston Children’s Hospital, 319 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115.
Abstract

Strength, or resistance, training for young athletes has become one of the most popular and rapidly evolving modes of enhancing athletic performance. Early studies questioned both the safety and the effectiveness of strength training for young athletes, but current evidence indicates that both children and adolescents can increase muscular strength as a consequence of strength training. This increase in strength is largely related to the intensity and volume of loading and appears to be the result of increased neuromuscular activation and coordination, rather than muscle hypertrophy. Training-induced strength gains are largely reversible when the training is discontinued. There is no current evidence to support the misconceptions that children need androgens for strength gain or lose flexibility with training. Given proper supervision and appropriate program design, young athletes participating in resistance training can increase muscular strength and do not appear to be at any greater risk of injury than young athletes who have not undergone such training.

http://www.cabdirect.org/abstracts/19971808917.html
To investigate the effects of strength training on the self-concept and self-efficacy of children, 11 boys and 4 girls (7-12 yrs.) participated in a twice-per-week strength training programme in Boston, USA, whereas 6 girls and 3 boys matched for age and level of maturity served as controls. All subjects were pre- and post-tested on the following measures: 6 repetition maximum (RM) leg extension, 6 RM chest press and psychological measures. Following the 8 week training period, the exercise group significantly increased their leg extension and chest press strength by 53.4% and 41.1%, respectively. Training did not significantly effect psychological measures. It is possible that ceiling effects in both the self-concept and self-efficacy scores precluded significant findings. Further research along with more sensitive measurement instruments are needed to more accurately evaluate psychological changes in children consequent to a youth strength training programme.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02701367.2002.10609041#.UoQJq_kqiSo
Abstract
The purpose of this study was to compare the effects of 1 and 2 days per week of strength training on upper body strength, lower body strength, and motor performance ability in children. Twenty-one girls and 34 boys between the ages of 7.1 and 12.3 years volunteered to participate in this study. Participants strength trained either once per week (n = 22) or twice per week (n = 20) for 8 weeks at a community-based youth fitness center. Each training session consisted of a single set of 10–15 repetitions on 12 exercises using child-size weight machines. Thirteen children who did not strength train served as age-matched controls. One repetition maximum (1RM) strength on the chest press and leg press, handgrip strength, long jump, vertical jump, and flexibility were assessed at baseline and posttraining. Only participants who strength trained twice per week made significantly greater gains in 1RM chest press strength, compared to the control group (11.5 and 4.4% respectively, p < .05). Participants who trained once and twice per week made gains in 1RM leg press strength (14.2 and 24.7%, respectively) that were significantly greater than control group gains (2.4%). On average, participants who strength trained once per week achieved 67% of the 1RM strength gains. No significant differences between groups were observed on other outcome measures. These findings support the concept that muscular strength can be improved during the childhood years and favor a training frequency of twice per week for children participating in an introductory strength training program.

Replies

• Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I was always told that weight lifting would stunt their growth
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Our kids always want to go with us when we lift and as soon as the gym allows them(12 I think for our gym) they will be. Until then they are stuck in the kid club. :smile:
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I was always told that weight lifting would stunt their growth

I had heard this also but seems to not be true.

http://static.squarespace.com/static/519dfd7fe4b097fa20f4940f/t/51a4c2dfe4b07c0410a9cce2/1369752287820/Strength training for children and adolescents.pdf
    One of the commonest misperceptions surrounding youth strength
    training is the belief that it could stunt the statural growth of children
    and adolescents. This myth seems to have been fueled by an earlier
    report that suggested that children who performed heavy labor experienced
    damage to their epiphyseal plates, which resulted in significant
    decreases in Other causative factors, however, such as poor
    nutrition, were not accounted for in this study. Current observations
    indicate no evidence of a decrease in stature in children and adolescents
    who participate in well-designed youth strength training program^.^, 29
    In all likelihood, if age-specific training guidelines are followed and if
    nutritional recommendations (e.g., adequate calcium) are adhered to,
    physical activity (including strength training) will have a favorable influence
    on growth at any stage of development but will not affect the
    genotypic rnaxim~m.~

http://media.wix.com/ugd/567c3d_6aa0d823b5519fef68647b9108b57986.pdf
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Our gym has a kids fiction club instead of daycare for kids over 5. It has machines that work off their resistance or bodyweight or something weird, and they can start using the regular weights at 12. Right now I"m just trying to get the girls to do pushups without sticking their butt in the air.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I couldn't imagine evolution not being in favor of getting a stronger skeletal and muscular structure at any age.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Our gym has a kids fiction club instead of daycare for kids over 5. It has machines that work off their resistance or bodyweight or something weird, and they can start using the regular weights at 12. Right now I"m just trying to get the girls to do pushups without sticking their butt in the air.

I was letting my kids do deadlifts. My 7 year old was so amazed to do it. I realized I need to have my 10 year old work on form before adding weight.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    Well she has been working on her form and really likes lifting. Body weight dead lift and a real push up. Sister is pretty excited to try it for herself someday.

http://youtu.be/a-HS4qRZ2N4
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    private video man.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    private video man.

Thanks I think I fixed it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    good work with your girls.
  • maybebaby34
    maybebaby34 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My 6yr old daughter lifts with me. She loves it! She can do 45 cable pull downs, & squat the bar. I think it is great for her. I never push her, & she does what she can. They have lifting compitions here, starting at 10yrs old. Divided by sex and age. I dont see an issue...
  • mustgetmuscles1
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Awesome video man. Lucky man having 2 little angel like that. Keep motivating them.

I spent several days this past summer looking into just this topic and like you have stated already, there are great benefits that come from proper training for them.

The biggest negative is when you are not supervised and don't thing incorrectly or in a dangerous manner. Also, when you get a couple of kids that go to the gym and it turns into a competition on who can lift more, leading to injury.

Basically, supervision is key.

Thanks and I totally agree. We have discussed not lifting any of the weights or using the equipment without me down there. Same discussion we have had with many things around the house like the oven, scissors and so on. She really wanted to lift that bar for a while before I let her. :smile: So far they have listened though.

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    My son has been competing with me in powerlifting since he was 11 years old. He has no developmental issues, etc... that everyone said he would have. He trains really heavy just like I do but I am very strict about constantly improving his technique. At 11 years old he deadlifted 205lbs at 97lbs bw after 3 months of training. Now he is 13 and is closing in on a 315 deadlift at 125lbs. My point is that kids can train and they can do so with high intensity as long as it is executed properly. People seem to think that kids need to lift baby weights or they'll get hurt. If that were true then every kid that grew up on a farm or a ranch would have died a horrible death by now.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Man, there are some women that need to read about what your kid is doing... sheesh. 200# @ 11. that's amazing.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I would totally be one of these parents. But I'll be having a puppy in my 50s instead, so Imma train that little dude to be the coolest lil guy dragging a weight sled back and forth in the back yard. Fetch (barbell edition).
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My kids have used the dumbell weights. No heavy weights yet. But my 11 year old is anxious to become old enough to join the gym. When I flexed for him last week, he was shocked "wow mom, you have muscles." Then he goes on to say "if you can get muscles, just imagine what muscles I could get if I joined the gym". LOL.