Anyone have their BMR professionally tested?

lm2007
lm2007 Posts: 3
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I had my BMR tested via the breath test. It said it was 748 ?!? The tanita scale at my gym that does the body fat print out said 1648. Has this happened to anyone else?
I'm struggling to lose weight despite watching all I eat and exercising 4-5 x a week (I'm training for a half marathon and run about 20-30 miles a week). That is why I went it got it tested because something doesn't add up.

Replies

• bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    I have had mine tested about 6 months ago. But when I eat what is recommended for me I dont lose weight.
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    From what i understand, the BMR breath test measures how much oxygen your body uses...at that moment. Your metabolism is constantly changing, so yes, the breath test is pretty accurate, but only at measuring your metabolism at that time in particular.

Anyways, I can see why you'd be confused, because a BMR at 748 is way to low to be accurate. Adults need at least 1200 calories a day just for bodily functions (not including calories needed for regular daily activities), so it would make sense that the average adult's BMR is more than or equal to 1200 calories.

Whatever you do, don't sabotage yourself by dropping your daily calorie intake below 1200, or else you won't lose anything, as your body clings onto every calorie you consume, (it goes into starvation mode consequently). My advice to you would be to continue your exercising habits, making sure you have at least 40 minutes of cardio 4 times a week, (which I'm sure training for a half marathon is making you do :wink: ), and getting a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat with consideration to a good amount of daily caories. My Fitness Pal does a great job at estimating what you need based on your profile, so stick to those guidelines.

Remember: when starting any healthy diet/exercise lifestyle, within a week you'll feel the changes on the inside (more energy, less stress, better sleep etc), and after 2 to 3 weeks, you be able to actually SEE the differences (muscles are toning up, pants are fitting a bit better etc). Don't give up! Give it time and you'll be where you want to be :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,724 Member
    I've never had mine tested. I want to but not even sure where to get it done other than a gym and I don't want to join one just for that.

Anyway, I don't know which would be more accurate but I disagree that 748 is too low just because everyone says 1200 is the minimum number. From what I've read, If Im2007 did something to screw up her metabolism, like consistently underate, it's very possible her bmr would have reset itself that low.

I think the only way you'll really know which number is right is eating it and seeing if you gain or lose or maintain your weight.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    I would have asked for a re-test.

1200 is not "set in stone", it's a figure arrived by the WHO (World Heatlth Organization) as a result of studies done on a variety of women around the world. It's supposed to be the minimum a female should eat in order to ingest adequate nutrition and not become malnurished. Actual BMR/RMR's can be much higher. Or lower. Very small people, very low metabolisms and very sedentary inviduals may eat less. See report linked below for more info on minimum requirements.

I had my BMR tested via the MetaChek machine, and it came out to be 1800. This is a LOT higher than 'average', ie: 25% higher.

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=9095&page=6 (Report from Institute on Medicine on minimum calorie requirements to avoid starvation).
This discussion has been closed.