Good beginner weights routine?

Options
My Dr recommended that I start doing some weights work. We have some weights here at home but I don't have any kind of routine to follow. I can, of course, Google it but I would love some recommendations from some folks who have had some experience with weights. Again, I am a complete beginner so I will not be able to use a list of exercises. I need explanations or videos so I can do it properly. Thanks!

Replies

• seren1ty74
    seren1ty74 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My Dr recommended that I start doing some weights work. We have some weights here at home but I don't have any kind of routine to follow. I can, of course, Google it but I would love some recommendations from some folks who have had some experience with weights. Again, I am a complete beginner so I will not be able to use a list of exercises. I need explanations or videos so I can do it properly. Thanks!

dumbells or barbells?
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Knowing the equipment that you have available would be a big help, but check out Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym for solid bodyweight options.

Kettlebells are extremely versatile and can be used for both strength training and conditioning.

The king of weights is still the barbell, but if want to properly use a barbell, you also need a cage/rack and a bench. I highly recommend reading the book Starting Strength and or New Rules of Lifting for Women to see some of the benefits of barbell training.
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I guess they would be considered dumbbells. They are small hand held weights. Thank you for the suggestions. :o)