Does one mistake ruin it?

Options
2»

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    If you don't make mistakes how can you learn to be better?

Barely competent people never make mistakes. Live within the safety margins and never go anywhere.

Craftsmen and women, masters of their crafts, constantly worry about their performance, go up blind alleys are never satisfied, are constantly re-assessing and progressing.

Ask yourself do you want to be barely competent or do you want to strive for mastery?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    i remember failing a test pretty hard freshman year. i still managed to graduate.

now you mention it, I once got 3% on a piece of coursework at university. Anyone familiar with British universities systems of marking would understand just how dire a piece of coursework would have to be to score that low.

I was allowed to retake the module, and I got a 2:1 in the end. Lucky first year modules didn't count towards the final grade :laugh: (although I almost didn't make it to the 2nd year...)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If accidentally murder someone, yes, that mistake might ruin your life.

If you eat a bag of Doritos and a carton of ice cream, that does not ruin it. There would be no fit people on the site if that was the case. It's the choices you make most of the time that count.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    also, think of babies learning to walk. If a baby learning to walk falls over, they get up again and fall over again and get up again.... no parent sees their baby fall over for the first time and says "nope, this baby of mine is never going to manage to walk, may as well just keep them in a stroller for life"...
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    If you're putting a container of eggs into the fridge and one falls and breaks, do you throw the rest on the ground? No, you clean it up and put the rest of the eggs into the fridge.

Dropping one egg is okay, as long as you clean it up. :)

That was deeeeeep :tongue: lol great analogy!!!
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    it is not about perfection.....it is about progression.
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    No one ever said this journey would be easy, it is most definitely far from it.
    However, one mistake does not ruin the whole journey. Lord knows I have had my fair share of ups and downs. I went from being a fairly healthy person to after having my son and losing the first 50lbs I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and Thyroid disease now after losing another 52 the doctor has advised me to not work out due to an arrhythmia in my heart so on top of it all I am now seeing a cardiologist.
    Life gets hard, it is very hard for me to accept that I have only lost 20lbs in a year but all in all I still need to be thankful for those 20lbs and be thankful that the eating I have been doing because of my stress hasn't caused me to gain an insane amount of weight.
    Today is my day one of eating clean again and I am so glad to be back at it. So if you were to ask me, no one mistake definintely doesn't ruin your journey. Your journey is ruined if you let your emotions and bad habits get the best of you. Good luck with your journey, you can do this!
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    The only way one mistake ruins it is if you let it. We all have bad days, even the most successfull among us, but this is a long term change, if you want it bad enough, you won't let one mistake, or two mistakes ruin it.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I used to be 50 lb overweight. I was eating all the foodz, and drinking all the beer.

Then, one day, I had a salad and a glass of water.

Boom - all that fat, that I had been working so hard on for years - GONE! That hard won beer belly undone by one day's healthy eating.

One single day!!! That's all it takes people. Be ever vigilant!

Quite effective, this reply.

Does really put it all in proper perspective when you flip it upside down, doesn't it.
  • swtposey
    Options
    Consider baseball. Even if you don't like it, read on. Even the greatest of the great failed 60-75% of the time. "Batting 500" is failing half the time and that's almost an impossible average to maintain over the course of the season. But even the greatest of the great kept trying despite knowing that they would fail at least half the time if not more. Even with your bad days I'll wager that you've met your food and exercise goals more than half the time. Hey, you're Babe Ruth!!
  • D_Dub
    D_Dub Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Mistakes only have the power we give them. How we view them is mirror to how we view ourselves. Thomas Edison failed over 10,000 times before he invented the light bulb. We always learn more from failure than we do success. So, pick yourself up, log your calories and get back in the game.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I think the number one thing I have learned this last year is that this weight loss thing is more mental than anything else. If you get yourself in the right mind set, the rest should fall into place. I think a lot of us have done the guilt and self loathing thing. It's not the one cookie, or the single meal or even a couple of days. It's that we allow ourselves to let that guilt take over and then give up. So you over ate, it's not a biggie. It's a biggie if you give up though. The one time calorie overage won't do it, the quitting will.
  • Colorburst29
    Options
    This is an extremely motivational post.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Thomas Edison failed over 10,000 times before he invented the light bulb.

Obligatory pedant: He didn't invent the light bulb, he improved it. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Edison#Electric_light
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I think the number one thing I have learned this last year is that this weight loss thing is more mental than anything else. If you get yourself in the right mind set, the rest should fall into place. I think a lot of us have done the guilt and self loathing thing. It's not the one cookie, or the single meal or even a couple of days. It's that we allow ourselves to let that guilt take over and then give up. So you over ate, it's not a biggie. It's a biggie if you give up though. The one time calorie overage won't do it, the quitting will.

Love this. It is very mental as I have to talk to myself about the benefits of not shoving something into my mouth. I read posts here and write to help myself.

Don't quite - we can do it!!!
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    167jvi8.jpg