Can I please get input on my exercise routine

Options
I exercise 5 days a week and take the weekends off. I need some input on my routine.

1. Treadmill- 30 minutes
2. Elliptical- 30 minutes
3. Bench press- 3 sets of 10 reps each
4. Back extensions- 5 sets of 10 reps each
5. sit up machine- 5 sets of 10 reps each
6. Hip adduction- 3 sets of 10 reps each
7. Hip abduction- 3 sets of 10 reps each
8. Planks- 3 sets of 15 seconds each

I have about 120 pounds to lose. I would like to lose inches, weight and gain muscle. I'm looking for a set routine. Can someone please help to find a good workout routine. Thank you!

Replies

• MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the hip abduction and adduction machines and do some form of free weight weighted squats (barbell, goblet squats, dumbbell squats). Are back extensions a machine one or are those the back hyperextensions like these?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/hyperextensions-back-extensions

Also, you're missing an exercise for shoulders, upper back (lats), and middle back. So basically I would add Lat Pulldowns, Overhead Press, and some form of Rows (barbell, dumbbell, cable, machine). I'd also keep the total amount of cardio at 30 minutes.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So you're doing all of these exercises 5 days per week? My suggestion is to look into an established routine like SL/SS or NROL. There's really no reason for you to be making your own routine at this stage. Follow ones that have already worked for thousands of people
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So you're doing all of these exercises 5 days per week? My suggestion is to look into an established routine like SL/SS or NROL. There's really no reason for you to be making your own routine at this stage. Follow ones that have already worked for thousands of people

i would have to agree with this.

find a decent full body routine to do 3x a week, and then do your cardio the other 2. look at HIIT instead of steady state cardio as well.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I am almost never one to disagree with recommendations to lift heavy over doing cardio, but with >100 lbs to lose, OP may have some problems with joints and mobility that could make barbell training as a primary focus for a routine.

I do agree to keep your cardio to 3x/ week, and I also agree no more than 30-40 minutes at a clip. If you can do it, do a stair climber or rowing machine instead of one of the hamster wheels.

As to your other two days: Buy the book Starting Strength and read it cover to cover. Watch a lot of video on how to perform the lifts.

THEN look into Andy Morgan's RPT Big 3 program. I think it might be good for you in this particular situation. The volume is a lot lower than Stronglifts and Starting Strength, so I find that it beats up heavier people a lot less.

As you get more comfortable and the weight starts to peel off, you can transition into a split that is more strength-oriented, as it will help you retain more existing muscle as you lose fat.

Remember to get enough protein (1-1.5g per lb of LBM). That's critical to keeping muscle as you lose fat.
  • bluesky248
    bluesky248 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    In my "younger days" I was a female weight lifter. When I started I paid for a trainer to get a routine to "target" certain areas then starting lifting in contests after a year.
    I did cardio then we did mostly free weights, not a big fan of the machines, free weights require body to do more balancing and control. The squats, leg press and lunges really get your butt and leg muscles going. The trainer I had did a rotational workout to keep it interesting, one day arms and shoulders, upper back, next day rows, squats leg press, push ups etc.
    It took me years to "get strong" but a good weight trainer can help you. I asked around and found a person who specialized in weight training etc. the local chain gym trainers I feel, don't have the experience/training.
    Folks think a trainer is "expensive" but its the only body you got so take care of you!

good luck!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Do this:

Warm up on elliptical - 5 minutes. 6 minutes at a push. ;)
    Bench press - 3x6
    Deadlifts - 3x6
    Squats - 3x6
    Shoulder press - 3x6
    Bent over rows - 3x6

Twice a week.

Save your cardio for the rest days. Or do it after your lifting.

Everything with BB or DBs.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options

^^This
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

i would have to agree with this.

find a decent full body routine to do 3x a week, and then do your cardio the other 2. look at HIIT instead of steady state cardio as well.
    ^^

And to translate

SS - Starting Strength
    SL Stronglifts or 5x5
    NROL - New Rules of Lifting
  • Aukeilagirl
    Aukeilagirl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the input. I always thought cardio was good for losing fat. I will get with a trainer at the gym to get a better set routine. A big thank you to EvgeniZyntx for the translation.