How do I modify my C25K input for more accuracy??

Options
I have just started my C25K program, but with my size fitness level I cannot start out as fast as the program. I use my treadmill (after I dusted it off!) and set it for my version of a "brisk walk" of 3mph. As for the jogging bit, I just kept the same speed and added more bounce to my step in a "sort of jogging but not quite walking kind of way" which worked fine. I got my heart rate up and could feel myself pushing to finish. :) My plan is to do this for the first 8 weeks at a slower pace, and then after that do it again at the regular pace. It was all good until I uploaded it to MFP, where it said the brisk walk was 4.5mph and the jogging was 5.2mph! I tried to tweek it to adjust for my real speed, but I kept running into problems. The first is that I cannot change the "jogging" part to a slower speed, and even if I put in "Jogging in place" it comes out burning way more calories than at the higher pace. Also when I changed the walking to the 3mph, it acutally said I used more calories than when it was uploaded at the 4.5mph rate. Now I am not sure how to make it an accurate reflection of what I did.

Any tips on how to adjust the settings?? Or should I just let it upload at those rates?? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

Replies

• arronp76
    arronp76 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can change the calories burned amount if you want, just pick the default one and two boxes should show with time and calories. These can be altered. If you change time even 1 min it will auto adjust the cals burned. So just alter the calories burned amount.
    Do you use an apps and which one? As u can change C25K from distance to timed, where it just tracks the time and u can wog at your pace. I ended creating an exercise called c25k and altered the time/cals burned to match what my app said. The pace really is not that important to me as long as the cals match.
    Hope this helps somewhat.

Its a great program btw and I am repeating week 2. Feel free to add me if u wish!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you should just ignore c25k. I personally think it's too fast for a lot of people and because of its name gives false expectations. If I was you if just work on your base build your self up so you can walk for 30 minutes at a time several times a week . At a brick pace. Once you can do that then consider c25k if you wish or do your own walk run program more tailored to yourself.
  • lindaland1
    lindaland1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I do use an app which is the free C25K app that is associated with MFP, it uploads my workouts to my exercise diary. I did figure out the problem with the numbers it uses as opposed to the ones in the MFP exercise database, in that when the app uploads, it does so based on a standard person. When using the database, it is based on my weight and how many calories I burn moving it. So I am going to use the app for the time, but then modify it using the database for the actual mph and taking those numbers as more realistic to what I am doing.

I do enjoy the app and I think I will continue to use it, I am just going to modify it. But I like the coaching for when to run/walk, and it lets me know when I am halfway done! :)
  • WorkingMomGetsFit
    WorkingMomGetsFit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I too am doing c25k. I'm on week 4 and I use a HRM to log my calories burned. I would love to run my very first 5k this spring.