Dukan diet and complications !

Options
Hello there ,
I followed dukan diet , the attack phase for around 5 days and i ve lost around 3 or 4 kgs, then by the 3rd day i felt so tired and ill and my legs couldn't carry me anymore! my arms were dropping anything i hold and my heart was beating so fast and it felt as if i'm out of breath ! and around my eyes were so dark and tired and i hardly even walk ormal ... that ofcourse added to the fact that i couldn't sleep well, woke up every 2 hrs ! i felt my body was crashing so i ate chocolate on the 6th day , just one time then i continued the program switching to the second cruise phase ( btw , i gained a kg after that chocolate bar :( ) , yesterday went fine ( 1st day of the the cruise phase ) then it all came back again to me today .. couldn't feel my arms , so tired , dizzy like hell ! so .... i ate a large LARGE full of carbs and sugers and fatty meal :(((( i know by the end of the day , i will weight myself to find that i gained it all back ! all the weight i lost !! :( but now i don't know what to do ? i'm not sure the dukan diet is for me ... i'm not sure if those complications ( tiresome and such ) are normal or not ? .. i don't know if my 2 times giving up and cheating the diet will affect my diet if i continue the diet all over again ? will it prevent me from losing further weight if i tried the dukan diet again ??... i need help .. i'm confused ?

Replies

• kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Stop with a diet that is clearly so unhealthy it is making you ill.

Start calorie counting, eat a balanced diet and exercise. You will lose real weight rather than water weight, keep it off and feel brilliant. I know this is the case because that's exactly what I, and many others here are doing!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hello there ,
    I followed dukan diet , the attack phase for around 5 days and i ve lost around 3 or 4 kgs, then by the 3rd day i felt so tired and ill and my legs couldn't carry me anymore! my arms were dropping anything i hold and my heart was beating so fast and it felt as if i'm out of breath ! and around my eyes were so dark and tired and i hardly even walk ormal ... that ofcourse added to the fact that i couldn't sleep well, woke up every 2 hrs ! i felt my body was crashing so i ate chocolate on the 6th day , just one time then i continued the program switching to the second cruise phase ( btw , i gained a kg after that chocolate bar :( ) , yesterday went fine ( 1st day of the the cruise phase ) then it all came back again to me today .. couldn't feel my arms , so tired , dizzy like hell ! so .... i ate a large LARGE full of carbs and sugers and fatty meal :(((( i know by the end of the day , i will weight myself to find that i gained it all back ! all the weight i lost !! :( but now i don't know what to do ? i'm not sure the dukan diet is for me ... i'm not sure if those complications ( tiresome and such ) are normal or not ? .. i don't know if my 2 times giving up and cheating the diet will affect my diet if i continue the diet all over again ? will it prevent me from losing further weight if i tried the dukan diet again ??... i need help .. i'm confused ?

if you weigh yourself in the morning and at night you will almost certainly have gained weight by the evening....
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I tried the Atkin's diet, which sounds similar, a few years ago. I lost a ton of weight, fast, but it wasn't sustainable and I ended up gaining back everything I lost plus some. If you want to lose weight, cutting calories and increasing movement is the only permanent solution I know of. Read the "Your Guide to Sexypants" blog on here.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Just another prime example of why fad diets and cutting out whole food groups don't work.

Yes, the complications are normal, it's what happens when you drastically ct out carbs. Carbs give you energy. Why don't you quit the Dukan diet and follow MFP and eat a sensible, balanced diet?
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    It all sounds perfectly normal and fine to me, I don't see any problems. You should definitely carry on like this as you are making great progress...

Actually, no, I've changed my mind. Stop doing this diet right away. Don't do any 'diets'. Just eat a balanced, varied diet with a small caloric deficit. You will lose weight gradually while being healthy and feeling well, and should be getting enough calories to prevent binging. Simple.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,698 Member
    Options
    Initial losses (especially on low carb) with be glycogen depletion rather than fat loss. Nice explanation of what is going on here:

http://justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The body has absolutely no requirement for carbs to stay alive. It requires protein and fat and without adequate amounts of them you will die. When you cut back on carbs (which are converted to glycogen for energy), the body burns fat after converting it to glycogen. The reason most people regain after a low carb diet is because they didn't know how to do it or didn't follow directions. Atkins has you start adding carbs after 2 weeks on induction, it has 4 phases - Induction, Ongoing Weight Loss, Pre-Maintenance, and Maintenance. When you first cut back on carbs you may experience tiredeness and other symptoms (sometimes called Atkins flu) for up to a week while the body becomes Keto adaptive. The way to fix this is with more sodium in the form of broth. I've been low carbing under a doctor's care and of my 32 pounds lost, 30.3 pounds of that have been fat and only 1.7 pounds of lean body mass. You won't get that on a high carb diet. BF is measured with state of the art equipment, not calipers, charts or simple devices.

Low carb diets don't cut out whole food groups. Bread is not a food group. We eat small amounts infrequently preferring to get our carbs from vegetables and low GI fruits.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    wtf are you doing, and why? is this a serious post?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    wtf are you doing, and why? is this a serious post?

This exactly. It's quite obvious what you need to do. Quit the "diet" and eat like it's real life.
  • stt43
    Options
    I've been low carbing under a doctor's care and of my 32 pounds lost, 30.3 pounds of that have been fat and only 1.7 pounds of lean body mass. You won't get that on a high carb diet.

Why wouldn't you get that on a high carb diet? What is going to happen instead?
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I've been low carbing under a doctor's care and of my 32 pounds lost, 30.3 pounds of that have been fat and only 1.7 pounds of lean body mass. You won't get that on a high carb diet.

hehehehehehehehehe this made me laugh! all my weight was lost on a super high carb intake... <<<MAINTAINED MUSCLE>>>
  • stt43
    Options

hehehehehehehehehe this made me laugh! all my weight was lost on a super high carb intake... <<<MAINTAINED MUSCLE>>>

Yeah, if your carbs are low your body is going to just turn protein into carbs. If you have adequate carbs then your body doesn't need to do this and the protein will be used to maintain muscle instead. Perhaps this person wouldn't have lost so much lean muscle if they hadn't gone low carb.
  • Amandinggo
    Options
    Hey, I just saw your post and the same thing happened to me when I did Dukan died. I was feeling tired, dizzy and I could not even look at a slice of smoked salmon anymore. Dukan is not a good diet at all as this is a diet and not an healthy way of eating. I stopped and switched to Weight watchers and even if the weight loss was way slower, I was feeling really good. Do not forget that in France (I am from France), Dukan is banned from the "Ordres des Médecins" (basically this is the Official Doctor association in France) and if he is banned, this is because of this diet. I will advise you to slowly switch to something easier.
  • Munaaa79
    Options
    @ Mcgrawhaha ,,, i'm serious !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Munaaa79
    Options
    The body has absolutely no requirement for carbs to stay alive. It requires protein and fat and without adequate amounts of them you will die. When you cut back on carbs (which are converted to glycogen for energy), the body burns fat after converting it to glycogen. The reason most people regain after a low carb diet is because they didn't know how to do it or didn't follow directions. Atkins has you start adding carbs after 2 weeks on induction, it has 4 phases - Induction, Ongoing Weight Loss, Pre-Maintenance, and Maintenance. When you first cut back on carbs you may experience tiredeness and other symptoms (sometimes called Atkins flu) for up to a week while the body becomes Keto adaptive. The way to fix this is with more sodium in the form of broth. I've been low carbing under a doctor's care and of my 32 pounds lost, 30.3 pounds of that have been fat and only 1.7 pounds of lean body mass. You won't get that on a high carb diet. BF is measured with state of the art equipment, not calipers, charts or simple devices.

Low carb diets don't cut out whole food groups. Bread is not a food group. We eat small amounts infrequently preferring to get our carbs from vegetables and low GI fruits.

thanks for that info .. it was very helpful ...
  • Munaaa79
    Options
    Hey, I just saw your post and the same thing happened to me when I did Dukan died. I was feeling tired, dizzy and I could not even look at a slice of smoked salmon anymore. Dukan is not a good diet at all as this is a diet and not an healthy way of eating. I stopped and switched to Weight watchers and even if the weight loss was way slower, I was feeling really good. Do not forget that in France (I am from France), Dukan is banned from the "Ordres des Médecins" (basically this is the Official Doctor association in France) and if he is banned, this is because of this diet. I will advise you to slowly switch to something easier.

thanks for the advice :)
  • Amandinggo
    Options
    You are welcome :D I forgot to tell you, when I switched, I did not put on weight, I just hit a plateau for two weeks, I think.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Do not forget that in France (I am from France), Dukan is banned from the "Ordres des Médecins" (basically this is the Official Doctor association in France) and if he is banned, this is because of this diet. I will advise you to slowly switch to something easier.

I thought he broke some rules about prescribing a drug :-

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/diet-guru-pierre-dukan-struck-off-as-gp-over-slimming-pills/story-fneuzkvr-1226677208551
  • krscffy
    krscffy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it but it's that instant (or at least close to instant) gratification that brings us to diets like Dukan. I did it over a year ago and lost 31 lbs in approx. 4 months. Talk about overjoyed!!! Now, back to real life, I have gained almost all of it back. I guess I am hard headed but I will have to do this the right way. Less calories in and move more and make it a lifestyle...not diet.
    Wish me luck!!