Olympic lifting

Options
Hi,

I have been learning the olympic lifts at crossfit recently. Does anyone have any pictures or links or posters for 'how to's' of these to refer back to? Not being in the gym has me thinking about how I want to do it properly when I am there.

Thanks for your time,
Helen

Replies

• samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Youtube is going to be your best link. Just do a search for <lift name> form or <lift name> technique
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    These lifts are highly technical. Expect to spend some time learning them. If you're paying for live instruction, I would continue with that. Looking at a poster isn't going to get the job done.
  • Supern0va81
    Supern0va81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I do the classes but annoyingly forget how to put all of the moves together by the next class - was just looking for a default reference guide though I guess like a default list to learn from. Something like that anyway. I'll keep looking. Cheers guys. If I could go more often then I would but I'm not that organised yet, getting there though gradually.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Greg Everett is a well know coach and has a lot of good info on his website:

http://www.catalystathletics.com/
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I do the classes but annoyingly forget how to put all of the moves together by the next class - was just looking for a default reference guide though I guess like a default list to learn from. Something like that anyway. I'll keep looking. Cheers guys. If I could go more often then I would but I'm not that organised yet, getting there though gradually.

I would practice at home with a PVC pipe. Obviously not going to be the same, but it helped get familiar with the motions.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Greg Everett is a well know coach and has a lot of good info on his website:

http://www.catalystathletics.com/

He has a well-regarded book out:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympic-Weightlifting-Complete-Athletes-Coaches/dp/0980011116

Perhaps you could ask Father Christmas for it?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options

This^ I have both the book and DVD - they're excellent but IMO nothing compares to having a Coach, especially when it comes to Olympic lifts being so technical.
  • Supern0va81
    Options
    I'll add it to my Christmas wishlist and hopefully Santa will be on my side when he see's the effort I'm making
  • Supern0va81
    Options
    This^ I have both the book and DVD - they're excellent but IMO nothing compares to having a Coach, especially when it comes to Olympic lifts being so technical.

Luckily I have access to a Saturday morning Olympic lifting club through crossfit but with the amount of ideas and motivations rattling around in my brain it gets thoughts jumbled. Having quality information to reference helps declutter that when I need a moment peace from work in the week and gives me a welcomed break
  • jimmmer
    Options
    I see that it's available as a download (the dvd) - would you recommend it? I see it's about $29.00, so probably only about 18 quid in real money!

I may have to ask Santa for this one myself!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.

I had a one one one session the other day, we spent a lot of time trying to get the power clean down. Hopefully I remember everything for the next time I do power cleans.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options
    I see that it's available as a download (the dvd) - would you recommend it? I see it's about $29.00, so probably only about 18 quid in real money!

It's really worth the $. It follows the book and goes through each lift piece by piece. I'm more of a visual kind of gal so I found the DVD to be really helpful.
  • jimmmer
    Options

It's really worth the $. It follows the book and goes through each lift piece by piece. I'm more of a visual kind of gal so I found the DVD to be really helpful.

Awesome! Thanks for the info (and prezzie list fodder....)
  • Supern0va81
    Options

Awesome! Thanks for the info (and prezzie list fodder....)

Excellent, thanks again. I'm excited to actually have this to hand now - it feels like Christmas came early :smile: