calorie goals!!!!

Options
What are your calorie goals? I am trying to figure mine out!! Is anyone good at this?

My problem is that my calorie goals have great variances. Some days I am sedentary, like football sunday. Some days I sit at a desk for 8 hours but run 5 miles in the evening. Some days I am on my feet for 8 hours and run five miles in the evening. Some days I don't exercise after work. I could really use some help. I have a heart rate monitor so I can accurately assess my calorie burn from exercise.

I am a 29 year old female, 5 foot 5 and 160 pounds. With about 30 to lose.

Also, does anyone strength train without a gym membership? How?

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    You're right, it widely varies from person to person. If you are using the mfp method of calories, I would set it up for .5/1lb a week loss and eat back your exercise calories that your hrm gives you. Give it a few weeks at a certain intake and see how the scales do, not losing, drop calories a little (maybe 100)until you see loss. Losing too much, add a little. It's a guessing game, no matter what method you choose. :)

I'm doing TDEE -20%, so mine is designed not to eat back exercise. I'm at 1600 calories. I strength train in my garage but I lucked out that my BIL needed a place for his bench press, barbell and weight set. You could check Craigslist. Or you are your own gym if that isn't an option.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Yep, it varies a lot from person to person. I'm in maintenance and aim for 1,700-2,000 calories a day give or take a few in either direction. That's already factoring in 3 days of light exercise.

For strength training, Mark Lauren has a really great program in his book Body By You, which is geared towards women. No extra equipment needed and the book is under $20.