Heavy vs Light Weights for Women

Options
I have been doing heavy (well, heavy for me) weights for about 8 weeks and I think I am seeing a difference. I am still about 9 lbs from goal so I am eating at a deficit and hoping to get rid of the fat. I am trying to tell this to my dad, who a long time ago had his personal trainer certification and seems to know alot about that sort of thing and he is beginning to make me question my choice of heavy/low reps vs light/high reps. I feel as though I am on the right track but he thinks I should do light with high reps for toning and calorie burn. Could anyone give me a very concise and detailed link to an article on this very subject that I can send to my dad. ? He is very stubborn, does alot of research and I would like to bring him some information to change his mind. I would appreciate the help!

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

No worries.

The second one will probably be more specific to your question but the first link is great as it shows a periodised routine (in other words it will show that both your approach AND that of your Dad have value in a well rounded routine. Everyone's a winner ;)
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Haha..but I wanna win! LOL
  • msf74
    Options
    Haha..but I wanna win! LOL

That...I can't help you with.

Having said that the high reps for "toning" line is a bit rubbish so you can hit him over the head with that (although high rep work can be very effective if used properly.)
  • loriq41
    Options
    Yes. I feel as though I practically have to become a lawyer and present my evidence..he went on and on with me over the phone last night about how I am doing it wrong...pffffffft!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    To some extent, you are both right.

He is suggesting high reps and low weight = greater calorie burn, which can be true for a lot of people. More calorie burn = bigger deficit = more weight loss. It's a very traditional and "old fashioned" approach that certainly can work.

You, I think, are using diet to create your deficit and exercise to retain muscle. The deficit you create through diet will lead to weight loss, and the exercise will help with body composition (which is sounds like something you care about).

Both can work, and there are pros and cons to each. Generally speaking, I think your way is better a better approach as it's more apt to be successful, and while results *might* be slower, they will generally be better in the long run.
  • msf74
    Options
    Yes. I feel as though I practically have to become a lawyer and present my evidence..he went on and on with me over the phone last night about how I am doing it wrong...pffffffft!

You know what Dads are like!

PS: if you want to know the origins of the high reps for "toning" myth comes from see here:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Myths.html
  • loriq41
    Options
    To some extent, you are both right.

He is suggesting high reps and low weight = greater calorie burn, which can be true for a lot of people. More calorie burn = bigger deficit = more weight loss. It's a very traditional and "old fashioned" approach that certainly can work.

You, I think, are using diet to create your deficit and exercise to retain muscle. The deficit you create through diet will lead to weight loss, and the exercise will help with body composition (which is sounds like something you care about).

Both can work, and there are pros and cons to each. Generally speaking, I think your way is better a better approach as it's more apt to be successful, and while results *might* be slower, they will generally be better in the long run.
    Thank you for that...you totally get what I want....I want a rockin' bod..he he...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

My dad told me this summer that I need to stop lifting weights because my legs were starting to look like "football players" legs. This after years of tell me I was too skinny (at 160lbs and 5'9"). Dads are dumb sometimes.
  • loriq41
    Options

You know what Dads are like!

PS: if you want to know the origins of the high reps for "toning" myth comes from see here:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Myths.html
    It looks like an article that could quiet him..will check out! :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you could just smile and thank him for his advice, then carry on doing what you're doing and don't discuss it with him any more.
  • loriq41
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

My dad told me this summer that I need to stop lifting weights because my legs were starting to look like "football players" legs. This after years of tell me I was too skinny (at 160lbs and 5'9"). Dads are dumb sometimes.
    Yeah, yesterday he told me that the girls at his gym look like men and it is not attractive...well, I wasnt planning on doing it professionally or taking 'roids so i think I am ok...LOL
  • loriq41
    Options
    you could just smile and thank him for his advice, then carry on doing what you're doing and don't discuss it with him any more.
    Well I didn't really fight him..I just let him talk and was thinking in my head "yea yea..can't wait to lift heavy tomorrow!" lol
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Well I didn't really fight him..I just let him talk and was thinking in my head "yea yea..can't wait to lift heavy tomorrow!" lol

yeah that's probably the best approach... some people aren't ever going to be convinced, and most people tend to get more set in their ways as they get older. But if you can make him change his mind then that's good :smile:
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options

And that's the way you win. Actual physical evidence. Keep doing it your way and when you have the desired results you are after that will have way more of an impact than any article or research you can find.

Seeing results are undeniable and leave no room to argue the effectiveness.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    For compounds I try keep my rep range from 4-8. For Isolations I try keep them around 8-12, trying to make sure I cannot do any more on the last rep.
  • loriq41
    Options

And that's the way you win. Actual physical evidence. Keep doing it your way and when you have the desired results you are after that will have way more of an impact than any article or research you can find.

Seeing results are undeniable and leave no room to argue the effectiveness.
    You are correct..I will just wow him with my results! :)
  • loriq41
    Options
    For compounds I try keep my rep range from 4-8. For Isolations I try keep them around 8-12, trying to make sure I cannot do any more on the last rep.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

Uh, a woman with thick legs is a very, very hot woman. lol Also, I saw the photos in your profile... your father is nuts.