Jillian Michaels is in hot water...

Options

Replies

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I watch the show.... although I think it gives people an unrealistic timeline on weightloss, they do teach them how to eat right and exercise. If you actually watch the updates from the people that gained all their weight back... like Eric something... he said that he stopped working out and slipped back into old habits.

They teach them how to keep it off... but they can't make them do it. Many of the contestants have gone on to become fitness instructors, personal trainers, etc. I think maybe they need to explain more that what you see on the show is not typical weightloss and that 1/2 lb - 2lb a week is what normal people should expect... but then I guess they would probably lose some viewers that way :)

Although, if you have an ounce of common sense you would realize without someone telling you that obviously you're not going to lose 12lbs in 1 week from working out 30-90min a day. These people are working out upwards from 5hrs a day... so unless you're going to make weightloss your job, you shouldn't expect that big of a loss on the scale.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Clearly she's a witch. Burn her at the stake!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I think it's a lame-*kitten* ratings scheme..........they had to concoct a story to get Ruben Stoddard back on the show - he was 'dismissed' on the last show.....he has 'star' power.........

Answer?

Jillian gives team caffeine pills - lbs added to scores on her team - Reuben is BACK ON THE SHOW!

It's a win-win situation.......

Right?!

Oh, who gives a giant *kitten*?!
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    a No-Doz has 200 MG caffeine. A cup of coffee Contains 100-200 mg. [insert hot water pun that I haven't had enough coffee to make yet]

I fail to see a problem.

When the show first came on I watched one season. Since then you have people on the show for the wrong reasons.

The problem lies in the fact that she gave her team an unauthorized substance without the doctor's approval. One of my issues is over the use of caffeine. If she's going to have them take caffeine, let them drink the damn coffee. I think it is stupid. My biggest issue is the fact that she cheated. What does that say about her character?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It is interesting how many people hate on the show. If they just had them on treadmills like gerbils the whole time, then I would be worried. They seem to do a decent job helping them learn how to eat healthy, making them prepare their healthy meal, along with the exercise and medical supervision.

I understand that we all follow our TDEE, calorie count, 5x5, c25k programs, and incorporate it into our lives because we still have to go to work, feed the kids, etc. The individuals on this show got a chance to take a couple of months off and fully engage in changing their lives. Good for them, and I am glad the show seems to better the participants as a whole. I am also fairly sure a lot more education happens off of the air, considering we see a brief glimpse of a couple of days of these contestants' week. Just remember, while the way most of us do it may be the best for us, does not mean it is the only way. Also, just because MFP only allows you to lose up to 2 lbs/week, doesn't mean if you lose more you are unhealthy or somehow lost the mental ability to learn how to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

That all being said, the caffeine pills are not a big deal at all. Gives a boost of energy, like a concentrated cup of coffee. It is like she made them sniff a line of blow off the ground and go run a mile. :laugh:

there is nothing healthy about what they do on the biggest loser...

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It is interesting how many people hate on the show. If they just had them on treadmills like gerbils the whole time, then I would be worried. They seem to do a decent job helping them learn how to eat healthy, making them prepare their healthy meal, along with the exercise and medical supervision.

I understand that we all follow our TDEE, calorie count, 5x5, c25k programs, and incorporate it into our lives because we still have to go to work, feed the kids, etc. The individuals on this show got a chance to take a couple of months off and fully engage in changing their lives. Good for them, and I am glad the show seems to better the participants as a whole. I am also fairly sure a lot more education happens off of the air, considering we see a brief glimpse of a couple of days of these contestants' week. Just remember, while the way most of us do it may be the best for us, does not mean it is the only way. Also, just because MFP only allows you to lose up to 2 lbs/week, doesn't mean if you lose more you are unhealthy or somehow lost the mental ability to learn how to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

That all being said, the caffeine pills are not a big deal at all. Gives a boost of energy, like a concentrated cup of coffee. It is like she made them sniff a line of blow off the ground and go run a mile. :laugh:

there is nothing healthy about what they do on the biggest loser...

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

That's the blog post I was talking about. It's worth a read for those that haven't already. Again, caffeine is the least of their problems...
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    My first thought was that she gave the caffeine pills for their diuretic properties. Regardless, what she did was banned by the rules and she knew it. So she knowingly cheated.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that they wanted a reason to get Reuben back because he is a celebrity so they made a big deal out of nothing. Would they do the same if the contestants had a 5 hour energy?

All for the ratings IMO

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw it. The disadvantage of 1 pound per white-team member sounds harsh, until you look at the numbers and realize the white team would have lost even without the penalty. Since the actual weighing is done before the "weigh-in" we see, the producers knew this.

The whole thing just reeks of a setup to get Ruben back on there, without the other contestants throwing a fit that it wasn't "fair" to bring back an eliminated player.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    This entire MFP site is littered with people taking supplements, never mind just the caffeine pills.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I couldn't care less.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It is interesting how many people hate on the show.

It's the difference between people who actually care about true health and fitness vs the people who only care about what the scale says and are willing to do anything and everything regardless of whether it is safe or healthy to reach some arbitrary scale goal.

This show just ****s with people's minds because most people are pretty naive and nutritionally/fitness illiterate and they don't understand that the show isn't "real life" and they look at their own successes as failures because they only lost 2 Lbs this week (which is totally awesome)...but some character on a "reality t.v. show" loses 15 lbs in a week or whatever...never mind the bull**** that's going on behind the scenes and never mind the contestant has a gazillion Lbs to lose vs the handful of cosmetic Lbs some MFP user might have to lose.
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    Her problem I guess
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ...for supplying caffeine pills to her team on Biggest Loser
    http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/burning-did-biggest-loser-jillian-michael-too-far-224414265.html
    What are your thoughts on this??

I think she can climb into some hot water with me.
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that they wanted a reason to get Reuben back because he is a celebrity so they made a big deal out of nothing. Would they do the same if the contestants had a 5 hour energy?

All for the ratings IMO

Ding ding ding.

I knew they were going to come up with some way for him to come back. They could at least have attempted to not be so transparent.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I think this is more common aspect of the show than producers let on.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Clearly she's a witch. Burn her at the stake!

She turned me into a newt!! :angry:
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Although I think the transformation that goes on with the contestants can be inspiring it is NOT realistic.

It would be nice to see REAL LIFE WEIGHT LOSS!!!
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options

All for the ratings IMO

Ding ding ding.

I knew they were going to come up with some way for him to come back. They could at least have attempted to not be so transparent.
    And this, folks, is why I quit watching.

I always wonder, how much extra skin and sag and additional issues do they have from losing so fast? That's a lot for the body to attempt to keep up with.
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    there are far far worse things about the biggest loser than contestants taking caffeine pills. the whole mentality of the show - trying to lose as much weight as you can in as short a time as you can - is messed up.

as for caffeine pills.... personally I'd rather get my caffeine from tea, it is more fun drinking tea than swallowing pills.
    Seconded on the tea and the horribleness. But I still love watching the show. :\
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options

All for the ratings IMO
    This TOTALLY crossed my mind too! "How can we get Rueben back?" Also made me wonder if he had some sort of contract clause getting him a certain number of weeks on the show too. I am skeptical.