Running a half-marathon?

Options
Hi everyone! I want to run a half-marathon early next summer, but have no idea where to start. My local YMCA has a group that trains for it, so I will probably take part in that.

However, it doesn't start till January, and I'd like to start now. What can I do to begin to prepare? I've never been much of a runner, but I'd really like to become one.

Any and all advice is awesome. Thanks!!! :smile:

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    There are programs you can follow (Couch to 5K, or just google half marathon training plans) if you want something more formal and organized.

Or you just go run. Most people struggle until they can find some sort of rhythm with their stride and their breathing... so I'd start there. Just find a comfortable pace/rhythm that you can sustain. Once you've got that down, then you can think about distance. Start off with something reasonable for you, whatever that is. Then in a week or 2, increase your distance a bit. Do that for a week or 2 then increase again.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    If you are completely new to running, I'd start on the couch to 5k program just to get acclimated to running in a safe form while incorporating cross-training and strength training. Feel free to add me and ask any questions. I just completed my 5th marathon and love to talk running. :) Good luck!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    It probably depends to a large degree on what your goal is. I'll assume that your goal is to finish and not be dead last or too beat up to enjoy it (a good goal for a first one IMO).

I'd probably start with c25k. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/

Then when you are done with that switch over to something like this: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half-marathon-training/

The good news is that you have a lot of time - especially if you start now.

My first half marathon is in June.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Definitely echo and encourage the C25K program, it's great.
  • wildcatpilot
    Options
    Hal Higdon also has programs that are available online at no cost. Goggle it and good luck!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    For my first Half, I used one of the free workouts called "Beginner Half Marathon" on the running app/website Runkeeper.com (I have the app on my phone but can also log in and do stuff online with my computer). It was great! Good luck. :smile:

ETA: When I started preparing, I could just jog about two miles without stopping (pretty slow pace). I finished my first half in about 02:09:00. Those training programs are great. Just stick with 'em and push yourself a little. :smile:
  • goddessofsewing
    goddessofsewing Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Most half marathon training programs I've seen start with running 2-3 miles at a stretch. You might work on getting that solid while you wait to start your program. I did my half marathon in September. I started with Couch to 5k to get to 3 miles and then started a training program after that. Good luck!
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    you can check out runnersworld.com and use their smart coach tool. You choose what intensity you want, how fast of a pace you'd like to finish in and how long you have to train and it lays out what you should do on which days. I just ran my first half using that and I finished in a pretty decent time!
  • sarasharp1
    sarasharp1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Start slow and build a base. You're usually there if you can run continuously for 3 miles with relative ease. I have used Hal Higdon training guides for all my half marathons and my full marathons and have nothing but good things to say about them. Also, if you can fit some weight training, do that too! GL! You can do this!
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Definitely join the group at the Y. It is so much more fun to train with others than alone. Find out what the expectations for the training group is. The training program might say something like "should be able to run continuously for half an hour". Then figure out how to get to that level by January. The C2K5 program could do that for you. Look for some resolution runs (5K/10K) to run as a goal.