how do you prepare your kale?

Options

Replies

• jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I love it best just sauteed in water with some onions. No oil, nothing. So healthy, low calorie, and delicious. Love me some kale!
  • losttogain
    losttogain Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I recently made kale pesto which is just amazingly delicious. I'll try to put together a recipe for it, but it was more of an experiment at the time.

I do love kale chips, and I sauteed kale is lovely. I think if you blanch it, like brussel sprouts it removes a bit of the bitterness. I've also made kale like I would collard greens.
  • marketing13
    Options
    That soup is the devil - I crave it. I need a healthier version...
    I would like to know also. Right now I have been putting some in my mid-morn smoothie. But I would like to know how to cook it or put in recipes where I can actually taste it. I know Olive Garden's Zoupa Touscana has kale and I love the soup!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Google CopyCat recipes for Olive Garden's Zappa Toscana soup. I use fat free canned evaporated milk in mine. So yummy!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    i just recently feel in love with kale. i tried from someone else, but i don't know how to prepare it myself. just looking for some suggestions.

i love kale, too. Per the Mayo Clinic and many other sources, kale is very good for your immune system, but it has to be steamed, not boiled (boiling destroys some of the benefits). I just steam it and add sea salt. Simple and delicious.
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I leave it in the refrigerator till it rots then I throw it in the trash^_^

Nahh but seriously I turn it into a smoothie with a banana to offset the taste and I throw in some organic peanut butter as well with chocolate whey....its drinkable lol
  • octogirlpretty
    Options
    I usually cook it in the same way as one would cook collards. But it in a pan, boil it til it's soft, and then serve. You can season it anyway you like (I really like it plain). I'm not sure boiling is the healthiest way, but at the same rate I keep reading these articles about how it's also not beneficial raw. People bake kale too (quite tasty) as chips so you could try that too.

Edit: Just saw above that someone steams it..that's a good idea! I'm gonna try that :)
  • dedication6
    dedication6 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Splash of olive oil, jalapeno pepper rings with some juice and water, Sautee/steam them and usually add that to egg white.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    raw in smoothie. thats all for now.
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    sauteed with garlic and smoked salt, steamed with tahini sauce, steamed with lemon slice, raw, chips (the secret is low temperature for a long time and little oil), in smoothies, stews.

My husband and I grow a ton of kale, I'd say I mostly eat it raw or in steamed.
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Chop it up, throw it in a casserole dish with other veggies or meat or cheese (I like sauteed mushrooms, minced garlic, and bacon bits, but whatever you've got on hand will work), cover the whole thing in eggs (6-8 should be enough), and bake at 375 for about 30-35 minutes. Sprinkle some cheese on top for the last 5 minutes of cook time if you've got the calories to spare.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    there is a kale/avocado salad that whole foods makes that I recreated the recipe. Daphne of The Chew has a nice one that you rub the raw leaves with lemon juice to soften then ad gold currants and pine nuts.

I also like mine sauteed w/a little bacon, onions, garlic, mushrooms and dijon mustard or red wine vinegar. Could eat the whole pan of this.
  • Rotten_Apple
    Rotten_Apple Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Houston's (restaurant chain) has a delicious kale salad - I just googled and there are copy cat recipes out there. I may have to try it at home, it was sooooo good!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of kale recipes on Pinterest, too. :wink:
  • pizzmor
    Options
    saute in some olive oil and little garlic. i also put in soups, etc. i'm not a big fan, but my wife likes it...i'd rather have spinach.

This plus my wife will put in the juice from a lemon and then some lemon zest. (Ground lemon peel). Tends to knock down some of the bitterness and gives a nice citrus edge to the kale. Also good for broccoli rabe.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have never prepared Kale, but the Ginger Kale at Whole Foods is the Bomb.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I grow it (very easy) so I always have plenty on hand - I eat it twice a day!
    in the morning - smoothie with citrus juice, usually tangelo, banana and protein powder... then in other meals.

Try it chopped finely, steamed and tossed through pasta with a bit of garlic and splash of olive oil...or stirred through mashed sweet potato.
    OR I make a pie with kale and tofu as the contents and mashed potato or pumpkin as the topping (ultimate comfort food).

There are so many options :)
    enjoy your new discovery
  • Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I made Cider-Braised Swiss Chard last week-really tasty and seasonal right now. I'm going to add kale in next time.

CIDER-BRAISED GREENS

Simply dressed with apple cider vinegar and a good olive oil is the best way to enjoy fresh greens.

SERVINGS

COOK TIME

TOTAL TIME

INGREDIENT
    1 1/2 pounds mustard greens
    1 1/2 pounds collard greens
    1 1/2 pounds Swiss chard
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    1 1/4 cups apple cider
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    Salt
    2 red cooking apples such as Gala or Rome Beauty, unpeeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks

PREPARATION
    1. Remove stems from mustard greens; discard stems. Trim stem ends from collard greens and Swiss chard; remove stems from leaves. Cut stems into 1-inch pieces; cut leaves into 2-inch pieces. Rinse leaves and stems; drain well.

2. In 8-quart saucepot, heat oil over high heat until hot. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds to 1 minute or until golden, stirring constantly. Add as many leaves and stems as possible, cider, vinegar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, stirring to wilt greens. Add remaining greens in batches.

3. Reduce heat to medium. Cover saucepot and cook greens 15 minutes. Stir in apples; cook, partially covered, 10 minutes longer or until stems are very tender and most of liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. With slotted spoon, transfer to serving bowl.

Do Ahead: Spoon cooked greens into microwave-safe bowl; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 2 days. When ready to serve, vent plastic wrap and microwave on High 8 minutes or until hot, stirring halfway through.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
    (based on individual servings)
    Calories: 60
    Total Fat: 2 g
    Saturated Fat: 0 g
    Cholesterol: 0 mg
    Sodium: 310 mg
    Carbohydrates: 10 g
    Fiber: 3 g
    Protein: 2 g

Originally published in Good Housekeeping

Read more: Apple Cider Braised Greens Recipe - The Daily Green
    Follow us: @the_daily_green on Twitter | thedailygreen on Facebook
    Visit us at TheDailyGreen.com
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I leave it in the refrigerator till it rots then I throw it in the trash^_^

I juice mine, then pour it down the sink.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    This slaw is currently my favorite kale preparation: http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=4724&catId=11