Exercise/gym routines for working ladies

Options
To all working ladies out there,

Please can you tell me what kind of fitness routines you undertake during the week alongside your full-time jobs?

I am really struggling to motivate myself to go to the gym after work and when I'm there I don't really know what I should/shouldn't be doing to lose weight (need to lose approx. 2.5 stone / 32lbs).

Do you think I need to be doing more cardio than weight training or a 50% of each?

I find it hard to fit in exercise around my very stressful full-time job and night school on a Thursday.

Any help/advice from others in a similar position to me who have lost weight and got fitter or are in the process of doing so would be much appreciated.

Replies

• ashleynratliff
    Options
    I work 70-ish hours a week which is overkill for most people.

I always go before work. I alternate between an hour of cardio and then the next day do 20 minutes of cardio and 40 minutes of lifting.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I work full time and go to school full time (although about half of my classes are online). I work nights (715pm- 345am) so I think it's easier for me to get to the gym. I lift weights 3 times a week and take a 90 minute kickboxing bootcamp 3 times a week and try to jog a couple miles a few times a week too.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Hi! Well let me start off by saying I have no kids. Zero. Two cats and a talkative husband, but that's really it in terms of household obligations. But I do work 40 hrs/week at a cubicle job. My schedule is thus:

Monday:
    Get up at 5:10am. Dress, eat yogurt, get in car.
    Drive 30 minutes to gym (I work at a University; I use their gym)
    Arrive at gym around 6:10
    30 min strength training (squats, push-ups, pull-ups, dips, calf-press, planks) & 30 minutes cardio (elliptical or treadmill)
    Get off machine @ 7:15am
    Shower
    Arrive @ cubicle around 8:15am
    Tuesday: 45 minutes of cardio--now that it's winter I hit the gym, but in the summer I'd just go for a run around my neighborhood.
    Wednesday: Ditto Monday. Maybe switch the treadmill for a swim @ the gym's pool.
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Ditto Monday & Wednesday
    Saturday: Flexible cardio--this could be a long run (6ish miles), a 4-mile walk w/ husband, or just shopping @ the mall (making sure to do at least four laps).
    Sunday: Rest

I like to keep it flexible; as long as I hit 4 solid workouts I'm happy. And YES strength training is what makes me not squishy. I ran a Half Marathon in October (with months of 10+ mile runs leading up to it and almost 0 strength training), and I came out at the same weight, but I was just...softer. I had old lady arms and a tiny little muffin top. Gross. So I've picked up the weights again and decreased the cardio, and my pants are fitting much more nicely, thank you.

But do be gracious to yourself--it's very difficult to get out of that warm bed and make yourself care about the muffin top. I find it a little easier now b/c it's such a habit; my day feels off if I don't get to the gym.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Stronglift 5x5 is a great program for a beginner, simple as hell, and focuses on the basics. The whole routine might take you 45 minutes at the most, and you will start looking forward to going to the gym.

Also, if you're going to dedicate the time to working out, you should spend some time learning about it too. You should do yourself a favor and buy New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a great book that will give you some perspective on exercise and diet (nothing revolutionary or bs, just the basics) so you don't waste your time in the gym.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Stronglift 5x5 is a great program for a beginner, simple as hell, and focuses on the basics. The whole routine might take you 45 minutes at the most, and you will start looking forward to going to the gym.

Also, if you're going to dedicate the time to working out, you should spend some time learning about it too. You should do yourself a favor and buy New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a great book that will give you some perspective on exercise and diet (nothing revolutionary or bs, just the basics) so you don't waste your time in the gym.

This
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    I work 40 hours a week and have 3 boys, ages 17, 12, and 6. Working out after work is not an option for me. I go to the gym during my lunch hour (it's close to my work). I've started 5x5 stronglifts and I do the Monday-Wednesday-Friday workout with about 5 minutes of cardio warm-up. On Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday, I do cardio. Sometimes, I don't do the Saturday, it just depends on if the younger 2 boys are visiting their mom for that weekend. my workouts usually take me 30-45 minutes. I make a protein shake for my lunch and it seems to work for me.
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I work full time, M-F 8-5pm.
    I workout in the mornings at my gym.

Alarm goes off at 4:35am, out the door by 4:45am, at the gym at 5:00am - 6:00am

5 min warm up on a machine (stationary bike or elliptical)
    35 min Strength Training (ARMS one day, LEGS the other day)
    20 min Cardio (Usually an ARC trainer)

Best of Luck :)
    Joanna
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making the decision to get more exercise!

I work many hours; about 60-70 hours/week. I work out after work, lifting 2X/week along with 30 minutes cardio plus cardio an additional 3X-4X/week (including weekends). Just like your class on Thurs is part of your schedule, you need to make the time for working out. I am not a morning person, so before work was not a viable option for me, but it works for some.

At the gym, I like a 15-20 minute warm-up (cardio machine plus dynamic stretching), then lifting for 30-60 minutes (depending on the day), then 30 minutes cardio. On cardio only weekdays, it is usually 30-45 minutes. Weekend cardio is usually 60+ minutes. I also some bodyweight exercises (primarily abs/core) 2X-3X/week. This typically takes 15-20 minutes, but I can do it while watching TV. This has been my schedule for almost 3 years, and I have lost ~55 pounds, increased strength, lost lots of inches (10 inches off my waist alone).

TL/DR: Have a plan, MAKE the time, recommend you do both resistance training and cardio, use a personal trainer or strength training program rather than making up your own lifting routine. There are a lot of programs that are recommended on the boards.
  • samanthasimps0n
    samanthasimps0n Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi! I work a full time global job which requires me to be available early in the mornings and late at night. I find it best to wake up in the morning and workout before I can even tell myself that I don't want to. I've gotten into a routine where I wake up at 5am every morning and workout to a home DVD program called TurboFire. I absolutely LOVE it. Before starting TurboFire I would go to the gym in the mornings sometimes but it would require me waking up at 4:30am and it just wasn't feasible.

I am a personal fan of cardio but you definitely need to lift weights too!! Lifting weights builds muscle which will burn your fat - even when you're not working out! If you struggle with finding what activities to do at the gym, I definitely suggest a home workout DVD! Let me know if you want me to suggest any for you :)
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I work full time and go to the after work with kid and all (They stay in the childcare room.) I started with Stronglifts 5x5 three times a week and a long walk Saturdays with the family. Now I'm doing 5/3/1(lifting) and running during my lunch for 30 minutes three times a week. Just look at your schedule, create a routine that you can stick with, and choose an efficient program that will give you the maximum benefits for time you have.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Picking nits: Exercise isn't necessarily for weight loss, you just need to make sure you have a calorie deficit for that. And since you use MFP, it's already set up for you. However, exercise is good for your body and overall health so I definitely encourage it! :)

A good combo of cardio and weights is ideal. This method is debatable but I like doing 10-20 minutes of cardio to elevate my heart rate then do weights for 20 minute or so and call it good. If you're not familiar with strength training, I'd encourage you to start out with the weight machines or hire a personal trainer who can show you the proper form for free weights and give you a program to do.

How about getting some exercise in on both weekend days and then one day during the week. That gives you the minimum recomended 30 min, 3 days per week which is a good start. I know a lot of people tend to go with morning workouts but I am soooo not a morning person that I just can't challenge myself enough at that hour. For me, after work is much better. Plus that way I can just drive my sweaty bod home and take a quick shower there rather than cart a bunch of stuff to the gym with me. Luckily though since the gym's right here in my building I usually go sometime during the day.

Someone made a good analogy the other day. Think of working out the same way you think of your job. You might not feel like going, you might be tired, but you have to suck it up and go anyway. Can't call out of work when you don't feel like it - don't bale on the gym just because you don't feel like it.

A couple more tips... Find things to do that you enjoy, that way it's not a chore or soemthing you dread. Try classes, try new machines, try some of those 30 day challenges or DVDs. Also, find ways to challenge yourself so it's always exciting. For instance, today I didn't feel like pushing myself - I'm still sore from my last two days workout and frankly I'm pretty tired too but I know tomorrow's going to be an easy day (walk) so I had to suck it up and get it done. Didn't want to do any of the usual but remembered the Spartacus workout (Men's Health mag, you can find it online) that a bunch of us were doing a couple years ago so I decided that and some heavy cardio (high hills on the treadmill) would fit the bill just right. It was super hard to get through but I did it!
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I work full time plus - most of the year 50-60 hour weeks. I don't have a family though. I do 3-4 workouts a week, depending on football season or activities with friends. :P Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday optional.

Tuesday & Thursday, I adjusted my schedule to compensate for traffic woes, so I am up at 4:45am, out of the house by 5:20ish and at work about 5:55am. I eat breakfast & lunch at work... then I head out of the office about 2:30 to get to the gym about 3:10pm.

I'm on the treadmill by 3:15 and walk for an hour plus, though I've started running a little. This is mostly for my sanity these days. A lot of days, it's shorter, depending on when I get out of work. Then I strength train with my personal trainer from 4:30-5 and then I'm home by 5:30. Protein shake, shower, and dial back in to work, then collapse in bed by about 8:30 if I am lucky. Usually, it's more like 10pm if work is acting up, but more like 2 or 3am on those days (which are not as much this time of year, thank goodness).

Then on Saturday, I either get up at 7am and head to the gym for a quick hour workout, depending on what my plans are. But I try to actually sleep in a little and then go to the gym about 11:30 for a 2 1/2 hour lifting and cardio workout. IF I have time, I'll do the short workout on Saturday and the long one on Sunday. The weeks that I am on call, I don't go to the gym on the weekend, as I don't have coverage.... I'll do bodyweight work at home instead.
  • Trissyboo
    Trissyboo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I work full-time and I am a mom of a one year old. Time is of the essence in my house since I do not like to take too much time away from my daughter. I utilize two workout options: the first is getting up and working out early in the morning to a home DVD. The DVD has cardio and a strength building session so you get the best of both worlds. If I cannot do that then the second option is to hit the gym on my lunch break.

While at the gym I do 5 minutes of a warm up, 20 minutes of cardio, and then 20 to 25 minutes of weight lifting. I would suggest making a list of the areas that you would like to work on with the weights and then research some moves that you can do at the gym for these areas. Write them down and take that paper with you to the gym to create your own rotation. Once you get in the groove it is easy to keep going. Best of Luck!
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I work 7-4 M-F with a part time evening job that varies anywhere from 3 -20 hours a week.

M-F I get up at 5 and run the dog for 25-30 minutes (however long it takes me that day to do 2 miles) On weekends, if I'm in town I do the same routine, just not as early.

M-F I workout at lunch 45 min - hour currently doing a hybrid of T25, Insanity and P90X.

On Wednesdays I go to a fit club from 7-8:30 in the evening.

If I'm motivated enough I'll do a workout on the weekend beyond the morning run.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hi I am a full time worker and mother of 4 older kids.

I typically go to the gym on weeknights after dinner when they are all at their various clubs.
    Monday, walk the 1.5miles to the gym, have a personal trainer, doing heavy lifting mainly, then the 1.5mile walk home
    Tuesday. Drive to the gym, swim 2k, and do a hardcore aqua class.
    Wed: Main gym, Heavy lifting, some cardio, and walk to and from the gym.
    Thur: Mainly cardio. Treadmill, elliptical, bike
    Fri: heavy lifting, a bit of cardio and walk to/from the gym

Weekends, we tend to go out for a walk either just hubby and myself or as a group with family/friends
  • xSirensSong
    xSirensSong Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I work full time, but the only 'children' my husband & I have are our furry doggie babies (2 of them)! After I get off work, I head straight to the gym. I have finally gotten out of the 'excuses' stage (which believe me, was so so very hard) & am starting to enjoy it. I mainly do weightlifting; I do NOT like cardio at all, so I found a way to combine my love w/cardio by not resting for as long in between sets. It really gets my heart pumping & take my word for it, you can FEEL it.

I love weight training because with the soreness I get the next few days after, I know I did something right. I'm trying to incorporate cardio at least 3 times a week (I go to the gym 4-5 times per week) for at least 20 minutes each time, with cool down time as well. My schedule looks a little something like this, with 5 exercises for each group:

Mon: Chest day, Cardio
    Tues: Arms (Biceps/Triceps) day
    Wed: Shoulders/Lats day, Cardio
    Thurs: Legs
    Fri: Core, Cardio (This one I am just now adding on)

I'm at the gym, actively working out, for about 1-1.5 hours, then I take a shower & get a massage ~ almost makes me feel like I earn it. It feels so nice to be able to go home & relax after a good, hard workout! This will be my 3rd week doing this & I've already lost inches & 7 pounds. I've got a long way to go, but I've finally found something that works ~ No more excuses! :bigsmile:
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I work a full time (40 hour/week) job. BUT I don't have kids, so really the evenings are mine. I've never been able to get up early to workout (I greatly admire those who do!). The gym I go to is on the way home so I stop after work (usually start working out about 5:30). I don't know how often I'd convince myself to go if I went home first!

Mondays - with a trainer doing various strength/cardio exercises
    Tuesday - 60 minute step class at the gym
    Wednesday - lately this has been a day off, since I'm still usually sore from Monday!)
    Thursday - workout with my friend, usually do some longer distance running, then different body weight or dumbbell exercises
    Friday - I'm either off, or I go to a bootcamp at my trainer's gym.

Each day usually also has a 30-45 minute walk with my dog :)

The recommendation I make to everyone is that if you can afford it, sign up for a few sessions with a trainer. They can get you started on a routine to work toward your goals and show you how everything works.
    Or maybe your gym offers an introductory program of some kind that may either be free or low-cost to show you how the equipment all works.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    If you can...join an exercise class. They will keep you accountable.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My husband works 12 hour shifts 4 days on and 4 days off, so I have to take the kids to school when he works. I go to the gym at least once in the morning before work on a day he's off, and once during my lunch break, each week. I do a modified version of Stronglifts which only takes me about 30 minutes. I do cardio either on weekends or at home before the kids get up.