Do I need to lose more body fat?

Options
I'm 5'2 1/2 and around 124. I'm relatively lean but my problem area is my lower abs and love handles. I've been cutting for a month while lifting heavy and increased protein hoping that if I shed some fat my lower stomach won't look like a small pooch.
I lost 1.5 pounds so far

Am I heading the right direction?? People keep telling me to bulk but I honestly don't want to YET and I'm uncomfortable with my body fat...

Here's a pic...I have some abs but they're not defined...I want them to be defined!

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l520/chelle21689/null_zpsbea5ae5f.jpg

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l520/chelle21689/null_zps46eec77b.jpg

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    null_zpsbea5ae5f.jpg

null_zps46eec77b.jpg
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I think your stomach looks lovely. But yes, if you want more definition you need to lose more body fat and keep up the heavy lifting and protein.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Do you NEED to? No. You're healthy. But if you want to lose more body fat, go for it! Lifting weights is definitely good for getting the physique you want, so keep up the hard work and I'm sure you'll see improvements. The lowest healthy weight for your height is 105, so you still have plenty of room for healthy fat loss.
  • sugamonstaa
    sugamonstaa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Eeek! I didn't know the photo showed my face! LOL I just got back from a workout, no makeup, sweaty....dang it! Oh well...

That's good that you guys think I'm headed in the right direction. I keep getting told to bulk and gain weight. I just wanna be sure I'm not spinning my wheels here.

Anyone else with advice please feel free to post.

@Kate, congrats on reaching your goals
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    You're right smack dab in the middle of the healthy weight range for your height, so it's really up to you. You can gain muscle now and lose fat later, or you can lose fat now and gain muscle later. Weight training while you lose fat will help you maintain the muscle mass you already have, which will give you a better physique than if you didn't weight train. You can also recomp (eat at maintenance and lift weight to change your composition), but that is a VERY slow process. Short bulk/cut cycles are a bit faster for seeing results.
  • sugamonstaa
    Options
    Okay, thanks. I think I'll stick with cutting and see where that goes... Just a confusing process for me because my body has always looked like this when I worked out...I want to transform it. It's been about a month, not sure if I should be seeing results soon...I'm just trying to slowly lose .5 pounds a week.

I do plan to eat slightly above maintenance some time next year.
  • sugamonstaa
    Options
    I just got advice from my sister's friend who is a fitness competitor and she said NOT TO BULK because that's for men.

I know that advice is wrong...but she wants to help me but I don't want to offend her. lol