Gift Ideas

Options
smoofinator
smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
I'm putting together my Christmas list and I'm looking for a gift for my soon-to-be mother-in-law. I'm stumped and I'd love some cool suggestions from all you wonderful MFP elves! Here is a description of her personality/likes/etc.:

-90% vegan, raw, organic diet...also rarely drinks alcohol
-Loves animals (but not animal tchotchkes or clothing)
-Generally fears color (wears a lot of black and beige)
-Lives in England so shipping perishables is a problem (I'm in Florida)
-Has way too many books
-Recycles/Reuses everything
-Hardcore Atheist

Thanks!!

Replies

• Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Maybe some fair trade coffee beans (or grounds), some lovely bamboo slipper socks, and a "Coexist" magnet or bookmark
  • A_nonymous2
    A_nonymous2 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, She's an Atheist but you need to get her a Christmas gift?

I say make a donation and be done with it.

She might appreciate the sentiment of ignoring the religious holiday.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    ^Atheists love Christmas too. After all, it's really just about being with family and friends and having fun giving gifts. At least that's how I celebrate.

I just Googled "atheist accessories". Lots of fun stuff popped up. Now I know what to get my dad and my love.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I know I was planning on making "homemade cleaning products" as a simple gift for people this year. Things like DIY laundry detergent, DIY dishwasher tabs, etc. It's something creative and useful that you can add a personal touch too (hello decoupage and fun glass container crafts!!!), and if you include the recepies then she can make more herself if she wishes!

Maybe that's kind of lame, but she seems like the type of person who wouldn't want "traditional" gifts (like you know, iPads and gadgets and choclate and stuff) and may appreciate the time it took you to make something instead of just buying something.
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    For my friend and her family, I am putting together a "Snow Box" as a gift. The idea of this "Snow Box" is for those days when it is too cold to go out and to just stay in and stay warm.

Some of the items it will contain are:
    Hot chocolate mix in a pretty/reusable jar
    Marshmellows
    Bailey irish cream (for the grownups)
    Cheinelle socks
    Fireplace matches
    Scented Candle (cinnanmon or pumpkin spice)
    Family game
    A Xmas CD (Brian Setzer...I'm an atheist and I still love xmas music especially from Brian Setzer)
    Hand and boot warmers (they live up north)
    Chapstick
    Travel Hand Sanitizer
    Travel Hand Cream
    Whatever else I think of.

I've done these boxes before and they have always been a big hit. Not sure how the vegan/organic/raw diet goes with her cosmetics, lotions, etc, but there are a ton of products that would meet those needs.

Also atheists come in all forms. Some still celebrate the gift-giving others not so much. You might want to find out (from your fiance) if receiving a xmas gift would offend her.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    90% vegan?

is that like being 90% not pregnant?
  • smoofinator
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas everyone! We're all those strange "gift-giving Athiests" and we've been exchanging for 9 years now, but I didn't want to fall back on the usual stuff we get her (almost always books).
  • smoofinator
    Options
    90% vegan?

is that like being 90% not pregnant?

:laugh: Lol. It means that she refuses to deny herself if she wants something badly. She follows a vegan diet and lifestyle 90% of the time and indulges in cheese and eggs rarely.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Find out where she likes to shop, get her a few giftcards for those places and pretty animal cards :)
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Does she like jewelry? I made both my mother in law and sister in law one of these necklaces for Christmas last year, and they loved it. You can personalize it with different plates and charms. :)

http://www.origamiowl.com/
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'm putting together my Christmas list and I'm looking for a gift for my soon-to-be mother-in-law. I'm stumped and I'd love some cool suggestions from all you wonderful MFP elves! Here is a description of her personality/likes/etc.:

-90% vegan, raw, organic diet...also rarely drinks alcohol
    -Loves animals (but not animal tchotchkes or clothing)
    -Generally fears color (wears a lot of black and beige)
    -Lives in England so shipping perishables is a problem (I'm in Florida)
    -Has way too many books
    -Recycles/Reuses everything
    -Hardcore Atheist

Thanks!!

Condoms. You don't need any (more) brothers or sisters.

Oh and if New England cooking is any indication, salt.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    besides, christmas is a religious holiday, atheists eschew that, so you don't need to get them anything, they prefer it when you don't.
  • swimsmarter
    Options
    Can you get in touch with her friends and family in England and ask them? I bet they could give you more specifics.
  • PeanutButterLuver71
    Options
    I would order a Xmas centrepiece of fresh flowers, & a donation to the UK SPCA in her name.