30 somethings??

Options
Hey there, just looking to add some friends who are in the same stage of life that I'm in. And more than likely going through the same issues with weight loss.

About me, 35yr old mom of three, albeit they are older than most 35yr old's kids, 18, 14, & almost 11...but still all three in the house! I was doing really good up until about a year & a half ago. I had lost almost all the weight and had been maintaining for several years. Then, don't know what triggered it (still cant figure that one out), but I gave up. Wasn't eating right, lost the energy to exercise regularly or anywhere near as hard as I had been and started to gain back.

Now, I'm finding it harder than ever to get back into a routine. I would be at the gym at 4:45-5:00am daily & run at least 6 mi. a day plus weights. Sometimes twice a day if I thought I didn't try hard enough in the morning. Now I cant seem to run 1/2 mile without wanting to stop.

I'll admit, I'm not very social on here. I like to look at what others are doing, but don't comment much. Doesn't mean I'm not paying attention, it's more like I spend enough time at the computer or on my phone logging stuff or with work that I don't take the time. Maybe that's something that could change??

Add me if you like, I always feel like I'm intruding when I ask, lol :flowerforyou:

Replies

• JimHM
    JimHM Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi m8,

I know through personal experience and I bet you do too that before you get started, it seems so far away but also it is the hardest part to make your new “Routine” or “Diet” stick, long enough to get your first set of results.
    But once you get your first set of results it snow balls and it becomes a whole lot easier.

This is what I would do If I was in your position:

#1: grab a diary that you can carry with you everywhere that you go. Write in here everything that you eat and drink. EVERYTHING. Also write down all of the times that you could do an exercise session. Do all this and this only for about a week, just do what you have been doing. It may surprise you

#2: While you are doing this, you can plan your “new routine”. Don’t start it but just use this time to plan what you are going to do, (exercise wise and diet wise, It would probably be a good idea to use the same plan as you did before you lost motivation).

#3: Give yourself a start date. This is when everything changes and you start your new journey. Tell as many people as you can, this will hold you accountable if you start to “slack off”. By giving yourself a “start date” you will be mentally prepared too and you should be looking forward to starting.

#4 Stay mega strict until you see your results, this is always the hardest stage and I believe that it is the point that most people give up. The longer you are in the game, the harder it is to get out… just like poker, but hopefully you don’t get forced to “fold” early 

This is just one way to get focused. You have done this before so you have an advantage over many of the beginners; you know what it really takes, just gotta stick with it, but I would write things down, track what you are doing and write a solid plan down on paper, I have found that this is a great tool to keep me on track in the past

Hope that has given you a few ideas and I hope you smash your goals!

Jim
  • swet02
    swet02 Posts: 52
    Options
    Hello Bean, add u up!
  • BeanCounter3
    BeanCounter3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Haven't thought of keeping a paper log since I joined this site, it's what I used to do when I initially started...some 8 or 9 yrs ago, lol. Have a purse sized journal that is so torn up and battered from before, still have it! Good time to go back to it! Yup I do know what it takes & it's hard as hell last I remember, which is why I'm having such a hard time getting motivated. Just going to have to suck it up & get stubborn.......again...
  • swet02
    Options
    Hi m8,

I know through personal experience and I bet you do too that before you get started, it seems so far away but also it is the hardest part to make your new “Routine” or “Diet” stick, long enough to get your first set of results.
    But once you get your first set of results it snow balls and it becomes a whole lot easier.

This is what I would do If I was in your position:

#1: grab a diary that you can carry with you everywhere that you go. Write in here everything that you eat and drink. EVERYTHING. Also write down all of the times that you could do an exercise session. Do all this and this only for about a week, just do what you have been doing. It may surprise you

#2: While you are doing this, you can plan your “new routine”. Don’t start it but just use this time to plan what you are going to do, (exercise wise and diet wise, It would probably be a good idea to use the same plan as you did before you lost motivation).

#3: Give yourself a start date. This is when everything changes and you start your new journey. Tell as many people as you can, this will hold you accountable if you start to “slack off”. By giving yourself a “start date” you will be mentally prepared too and you should be looking forward to starting.

#4 Stay mega strict until you see your results, this is always the hardest stage and I believe that it is the point that most people give up. The longer you are in the game, the harder it is to get out… just like poker, but hopefully you don’t get forced to “fold” early 

This is just one way to get focused. You have done this before so you have an advantage over many of the beginners; you know what it really takes, just gotta stick with it, but I would write things down, track what you are doing and write a solid plan down on paper, I have found that this is a great tool to keep me on track in the past

Hope that has given you a few ideas and I hope you smash your goals!

Jim

tnx for this Jim. :)
  • JimHM
    JimHM Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    no probs, hope it helps :-)
  • kimdyj
    kimdyj Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I added MFP app on my phone and I use it to scan the barcodes of what I'm eating and it automatically logs in! I love it! Feel free to add me, i'm pretty active on here and my diary is open to everyone.
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    39 here.

I tend to take it one day at a time. There are days where I go off track, and it effects my results. But rather than just give up, just get back on track. While the start had significant loss, I have hit times where it seemed like it was going nowhere. You have to be diligent.
  • munchie3511
    munchie3511 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm in that age range, add me up! :) Writing down what we eat and what we do for exercise daily works for me. It's cumbersome on some days, but you just got to keep your eyes on the ball. There's always gonna be days that we fail, but the good thing about this is that we can always START over! You can do this and we're here to cheer you on along the way! :)
  • manders7969
    manders7969 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am 34 and have 3 kids, too. My boys are 15 and 14 and my daughter is 12. I also have custody of my sister's 3 kids. They are a boy, 12 and 2 girls, 4 and 8.
  • Edwin_S
    Edwin_S Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Great Advice, thanks for sharing. 36...soon to be 37 OMG. Where has the time gone?
  • BeanCounter3
    BeanCounter3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Great Advice, thanks for sharing. 36...soon to be 37 OMG. Where has the time gone?

No kidding.....:sad:

Thanks everyone for the advise and back-up. I've done this before so I know I can do it again....it's just getting over that hill....I can call it a hill this time...last time it was a mountain!!
  • CKendell79
    CKendell79 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi. Add me. I'm 34 with 3 kids (13, 6, and 4). Would love more friends for support!!!
  • swet02
    Options
    39 here.

I tend to take it one day at a time. There are days where I go off track, and it effects my results. But rather than just give up, just get back on track. While the start had significant loss, I have hit times where it seemed like it was going nowhere. You have to be diligent.

I can relate, yesterday I was really craving for KFC. And even though I did not eat rice just 10 pcs hot shots, the soup and the krusher. I still gained .2 lbs and .2 on fat..Really bad coz its hard to loss those and really easy to gain.