Going sugar (and artificial sweetener) free...

Options
I've noticed that I'm slowly starting to binge again and I know it has to be because of sugar...

So after my 600+ calorie-sugar-filled breakfast I've decided that for the next 3 weeks (until my birthday) I am going to eat zero sugar and zero artificial sweeteners.

I NEED YOUR HELP!

I need sugar free recipes that don't include splenda or anything like that!

I need some recipes for salad dressings first and foremost. I'm all about grilled chicken salads, but I need dressing!

I'm going to need recipes with greens in them mostly. I'm totally clueless, so help me out! Thanks!

Replies

• IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have heard great reviews about this: http://www.sugarshock.com/testimonials.html and http://www.sugarbusters.com/

Might be worth looking in to!

Here is a list of Sugar Busters foods:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/sugarbusters/a/sugarbustrlists.htm
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I use salsa and/or cottage cheese as dressings a lot.
  • californiajuls
    californiajuls Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    That is also one of my biggest downfalls. I am always reaching for splenda!

1630152.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    you are going to feel SO MUCH better!
  • fxdl2k2
    fxdl2k2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Pico de Gallo is a great "dressing" for salads.

Olive Oil, vinaigrette, spices (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, etc.), and cilantro makes a great dressing.

I really like just a little sea salt, fresh pepper, and fresh lemon or lime juice. Want a sweeter taste, use fresh orange juice.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Hummus mixed with mustard is a good dressing... oddly enough so is cottage cheese (alone or mixed with a little hummus).
  • amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    can I have things like honey? Since there is no added sugar in it?
  • fitbot
    Options
    honey still has calories tho... and it will keep you craving sweets.
    for dressings I enjoy lemon juice, sea salt, vinegar and a mix of arabic spices called zattar. its savoury and delish and I dont seem to miss oil.
    if you need something a bit sweet in your salad, how about adding watermelon cubes or strawberries? its delicious.
    Watermelon w balsamico is sooooooo yum
  • amg_89
    Options
    for dressings I enjoy lemon juice, sea salt, vinegar and a mix of arabic spices called zattar. its savoury and delish and I dont seem to miss oil.
    if you need something a bit sweet in your salad, how about adding watermelon cubes or strawberries? its delicious.

sorry, need to clarify. I don't mean for salads, just in general. Things like honey, milk, fruit, all have sugars in them, but they are naturally present and not added. For a sugar free diet in general are these things okay?
  • bluehorsesjp
    Options

sorry, need to clarify. I don't mean for salads, just in general. Things like honey, milk, fruit, all have sugars in them, but they are naturally present and not added. For a sugar free diet in general are these things okay?

The sugar in milk is Lactose, the sugar in fruit is Fructose. Both of those are low gylcimic index sugars. They are absorbed by the body differently than table sugar. Honey is sucrose which is the same as table sugar. I do know that honey and table sugar are utilized by the body the same way.
    So unless you are doing a South beach diet type of thing I would just avoid honey and any other processed sugars. Milk and fruit in moderation should be fine.
    Stick more to veggies and protein. In as little as a week you will definitely have less sugar cravings.
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest honey and fruit. I went without added sugar for five years. I had a six month binge, and now I am back to it. I am slightly sad that I cannot be claiming six years "sugar free" today, but I now know that I will never be able to eat sugar casually. It just doesn't work for me.

I occasionally buy something with Splenda in it to satisfy my craving for sweets, but usually I stick to fruits. I also allow myself to have low sugar items such as granola bars, fruit snacks, etc. every once in a while.

Just look at the ingredients... No corn syrup, no added sugar, and you're good!

Good luck!!!
  • amg_89
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! I do have a concern about carbs though. I'm very active and need carbs for energy. I usually get these through bread, cereal, and peanut butter. What should I do about carbs now?
  • fxdl2k2
    fxdl2k2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    can I have things like honey? Since there is no added sugar in it?

Honey is a type of sweetener and has about the same number of calories as processed sugars. I would use it in moderation as it can be a substitute for processed sugar. I would go with just fruit to get my "sweet" fix if you want to be sugar-free. You need calcium.

Here is a short article on the use of honey: http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/expert.q.a/10/22/sugar.honey.nutrition.jampolis/index.html
  • usrmob
    usrmob Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well, it's certainly natural so I would think you could use honey.
  • fitbot
    Options
    i wouldn't. You are trying to break a habit, and stop craving sugar. you are just going to end up eating an entire jar of honey. Honey has a lot of health benefits but it is still sugar
    here is a list of foods to avoid on sugar free diet
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/sugarbusters/a/sugarbustrlists.htm
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    bumping this old thread for new ideas on how to cut out sugar.