Remember December

Options
Congrats on everyone who got through or at least cut back for Sober October challenge. Anyone up for trying to cut out or back on alcoholic beverages for December (Maybe starting with Thanksgiving through NYE? Americans tend to gain most of their weight during the holidays and spend the next year trying to lose it. Alcohol lowers our defenses and in situations where we are already going to more parties and events around the holidays, drinking just adds on empty calories, makings for bad food choices and quantity, and feeling not so jolly the mornings after. This is all about moderation, say like 2-3 drinks a week according to what is a standard drink http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/Practitioner/pocketguide/pocket_guide2.htm This is not a group for AA necessarily (though if you have a drinking problem, might be a good place to start with a challenge of cutting out or tapering off), but about making healthier choices for ourselves so that we can remember the holidays instead of living through a fog, and treating our bodies in a way that shows respect for all the hard work we have been working on throughout the year.

There will be no falling off the wagon here, just a place to check in from time to time for ideas, venting, and reminder to oneself to keep things in moderation :) If interested, let me know and I'll get a group going and invites out!

Replies

• lambchoplewis
    Options
    I am there with you!! I lost, maintained and then, in May started sitting outside having a glass of wine - then 2 and 3 etc. Ate and drank all summer. In Oct, I stopped the insanity. Now I drink only once a week at most. Weight is coming off.

I do miss wine a lot. I do think about it and when stressed, wish I could have a glass but I know it leads to 2 or 3 or the bottle and then eating junk. I am with you through the holidays.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I lost 7lbs in October, and I'm sure that number is higher because of the challenge. I would really like to reach goal weight to start the new year off rather than the usual losing 10+lbs resolution. Might be more difficult to get one to take on this challenge during the holidays as for some, being around family is stressful! lol!