How To Overcome Binge Eating?

I have binge eating disorder. I am tired of it and I want to be done with it. Help?

Replies

• gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    I have binge eating disorder. I am tired of it and I want to be done with it. Help?

Do you binge at home, or do you binge out, or both?
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member

First of all - way to be strong and admit this to us. That is not easy. You are in good company and will find a lot of people in your shoes and even more willing to support you. :)

Secondly, you need to find a therapist who specializes in this, asap. It's nothing to be messed with and the longer you let it go on, the worse it will get.

Lastly, I highly recommend you check out Overeaters Anonymous, which could be very helpful in teaching you how and why we interact with food in such an unhealthy way and offers the 12 step program to assist you in managing your disorder. It is NOT a diet plan, it is a life plan. Check out the "Big Book" and read a few of the first chapters, substituting the words, "alcohol" and "alcoholic" for "food" and "compulsive overeating" and you'll quickly see the innumerable similarities of over-doing it with both drinking and eating. It changed my life.

Here's the Big Book online. Just a suggestion.

http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_tableofcnt.cfm
  • NixThe76
    NixThe76 Posts: 8 Member
    Mostly at home. I try not to eat much around because because I feel ashamed of how much I binge on. And I'll keep eating even though I know I should stop but for some reason, I can't. I am depressed and stressed because of it.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member

First of all - way to be strong and admit this to us. That is not easy. You are in good company and will find a lot of people in your shoes and even more willing to support you. :)

Secondly, you need to find a therapist who specializes in this, asap. It's nothing to be messed with and the longer you let it go on, the worse it will get.

Lastly, I highly recommend you check out Overeaters Anonymous, which could be very helpful in teaching you how and why we interact with food in such an unhealthy way and offers the 12 step program to assist you in managing your disorder. It is NOT a diet plan, it is a life plan. Check out the "Big Book" and read a few of the first chapters, substituting the words, "alcohol" and "alcoholic" for "food" and "compulsive overeating" and you'll quickly see the innumerable similarities of over-doing it with both drinking and eating. It changed my life.

Here's the Big Book online. Just a suggestion.

http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_tableofcnt.cfm

This...I'd find a therapist that specializes in this first. I think that will greatly help! Good luck and you CAN do it!
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Mostly at home. I try not to eat much around because because I feel ashamed of how much I binge on. And I'll keep eating even though I know I should stop but for some reason, I can't. I am depressed and stressed because of it.
    A therapist and/or support group would really help with this. Three words in your post jump out at me: ashamed, depressed and stressed. Trying to go it alone while overwhelmed with the emotions is probably not the best route. Trying to pull yourself up by your own bootstraps (my age is showing here) will be hard. Reach out for some professional help.

In the meantime, a great, easy to read book that will help you feel not so alone: Intuitive Eating by Tribole and Resch. I can't say enough about how comforted and encouraged I was by this book.
  • pop418
    pop418 Posts: 69 Member
    Can't say enough about therapy, specifically someone who specializes in eating disorders and cognitive behavioral therapy. And, most importantly, be gentle on yourself and forgiving of yourself.
  • Telishaq
    Telishaq Posts: 2 Member
    I had a period of binge eating also. When I realized I had a problem I tried substituting the foods in my kitchen with healthier foods. I did this because I didn't have access to a therapist and was just trying to be creative. But I went from eating a pile of potato chips to a lot of fresh fruit. That helped me not feel SO bad.

After a little while, someone suggested that I keep a food diary. Like, keep track of everything I was eating. At first I was really surprised by how much I was really consuming, but I realized that after a few days I would eat less, then a few more days would be a little more less.

Then I got another suggestion to eat about 5 small meals throughout the day to feel fuller longer and feel like I was eating the same even though it was less. I tried that, and it worked out okay, but I eventually got a shake that was a meal replacement as a small meal and that worked great! It kept me full for a long time!

You may also want to set yourself up with a nice schedule, to keep you occupied from eating. Getting into new hobbies, exercising, hanging with friends or family, going to places where food isn't the theme, like shopping for clothes or exploring a nearby museum or going to a little club/bar to hear a band every so often.

Hmm....not really sure if this is good or bad advice. D: Just trying to help by giving examples of my experiences. I looked online at sites that information on binge eating, and they have some advice also! Don't be afraid to talk about it, because it's more common than you'd think!

Good luck!
    -Telishaq
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Idle hands are the devil's playground. If it's only happening when you're at home then you need to be extra careful about what you're buying at the supermarket and bringing home. You also should find something to occupy your time at home. Something that keeps you moving. Or maybe reading. I used to read a lot when I was a kid and don't really recall munching on anything while reading.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Another recommendation to find a therapist who specializes in binge eating/eating disorders. After years of yo-yo'ing and binge eating, therapy has been the one thing that helped me most.

I like OA as mentioned by a previous poster and there's a completely anonymous call-in meeting you can "attend" while at home, just phoning in. If you visit the OA website, you'll find a listing of such phone meetings, as well as meetings you can attend. There's no fee for the phone meeting and some of those have been very helpful to me.

Binge-eating is a behavior that can be changed and you have to believe that.